Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

New Wheels = Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 08:22 AM
frofan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wheels = Alignment?

My new volks just came in the mail, and I was wondering if I would need an alignment with the new wheels? They are 19" 8.5 & 9.5's, 245/275. I wasn't sure if the new wheels would throw my alignment out of whack at all?

Last edited by frofan; 05-23-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:32 AM
frofan

anyone?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:43 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wheel dimensions are not exactly the same as OEM so it will definitely change the alignment some. I would recommend an alignment.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:49 AM
frofan

The wheels should be the same diameter, but will be wider. How will the wider tire throw off the alignment? Will it change the toe or camber, or both? Also, will it create a positive or negative change in toe/camber?

The reason I'm asking is because I just lowered the car yesterday and I'm getting it aligned today. My wheels will arrive in a couple days, but I'm leaving the same day and won't have a chance to get it aligned again. If I know how the new wheels will alter the alignment, I can try to slightly compensate for them when I get it aligned today.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry off topic but I have a question about alignment, my friend went and got an alignment and they left marks on his rims. Just wondering if some alignments are different then others and if they will leave marks on my rims.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:20 AM
grifferjr

Originally Posted by frofan
My new volks just came in the mail, and I was wondering if I would need an alignment with the new wheels? They are 19" 8.5 & 9.5's, 245/275. I wasn't sure if the new wheels would throw my alignment out of whack at all?

i dont think that just changing tires even though you went from stock to 19's warrants an alignment. dropping your car does, but not the aftermarket tires.

with that said though, dont be silly and go get an alignment. make sure you are to spec. you just spent some nice cash on these, so see to it that you get what you paid for by not wearing them down quickly. and then get that alignment checked every 4-6 months religiously. you will be glad that you did.

the rule of thumb that i live by is, if i can even think of a legitimate reason for why i should have an alignment done, i get it done. better safe than sorry. i bought a package deal a while back. most alignment shops have that offer.

Last edited by grifferjr; 05-23-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:52 AM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

wait to put the new wheels on then align.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:41 PM
ssc

Originally Posted by frofan
The wheels should be the same diameter, but will be wider. How will the wider tire throw off the alignment? Will it change the toe or camber, or both? Also, will it create a positive or negative change in toe/camber?

The reason I'm asking is because I just lowered the car yesterday and I'm getting it aligned today. My wheels will arrive in a couple days, but I'm leaving the same day and won't have a chance to get it aligned again. If I know how the new wheels will alter the alignment, I can try to slightly compensate for them when I get it aligned today.
your new wheels will definitly affect the alignment, especially if you are going from stock 17"....i would recommend that you wait till you get back and do an alignment with your wheels on.