Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Front 350Evo Sway Bar Noise... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 09:36 AM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front 350Evo Sway Bar Noise... Help!

So I finally get around to installing my front 350Evo sway bar. My problem now is I'm getting a really loud creaking sound from that area. It is the most audible at low speeds, especially when coming to a full stop or when accelerating from a dead stop. I can even feel it a bit from the floorboards when launching the car. Did a search and found similar issues with the problem being either not enough lube on the bushings or loose bolts/nuts especially on the enlinks. Well I put plenty of lube on the bushings so I know that is not the problem. And even if it was I would be getting annoying squeaks, not the harsh creaking that I'm hearing. So I think I can dismiss the bushing as being the culprit. I also retorqued all bolts/nuts according to the FSM in the order they suggested so I'm fairly confident nothing is loose. I'll retorque again to be sure but assuming that is not the problem does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? I flipped the enlinks upside down as suggested by BJ in the installation thread. Could it be that the endlinks are out of position somehow and causing loose movement and the noise? Or assuming the end links are not torqued down enough would that cause the symptoms and noise and I described above? Are the collars supposed to be making contact with the bushing and the OEM bracket? I'm a bit frustrated at this point after spending two seesions installing and reinstalling the bar and not making any progress. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks. BTW I have the bar set at med if that is useful info at all.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:49 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem. Had the squeak for 8 months. I'm dealing with it now through my body shop who is having a hard time getting a hold of BJ.

I'm making phone calls.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:01 AM
dklau33

My problem just isn't a simple squeak. I can actually feel something going on underneath the car when launching or coming to a deadstop. I found a few more threads that spoke of having to torque the end links down while the suspension is compressed. Maybe that could be my problem since I torqued everything while on jackstands.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:54 PM
John

Ideally the suspension should be preloaded, but I don't think it's a requirement. Did you flip your endlinks? I use a ratchet for the endlink bolts, standard torque wrench won't fit. I would also suggest that you lube up the poly bushings with some heavy-duty marine grease, which may fix your noises altogether.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:07 PM
dklau33

Originally Posted by John
Ideally the suspension should be preloaded, but I don't think it's a requirement. Did you flip your endlinks? I use a ratchet for the endlink bolts, standard torque wrench won't fit. I would also suggest that you lube up the poly bushings with some heavy-duty marine grease, which may fix your noises altogether.

Yes, I flipped the endlinks as per the instructions. I was able to fit a torque wrench to tighten the end link bolts because I had the car on jackstands which allowed more clearance since the suspension was unloaded. Maybe I should put the car on ramps and try tigthening further with just a ratchet. Also I tend to doubt its a not enough lube issue since the noise is a creaking and clunking. Definitely more severe than just a squeak. But just in case, did you grease the inside and the outside of the bushing? Does grease need to be applied between the bushing and the bracket that goes over it as well?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:17 AM
John

I lubed up every side of the bushings.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:19 AM
dklau33

Okay, I'll give that a shot and lube the outside of the bushing as well. I'm hoping this is really the problem. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:09 PM
dklau33

Well after further inspection the problem was the collars. They were making contact with the OEM brackets. The top portion of the collars was deformed from the pressure and contact. Same problem as two people in this thread.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hlight=collars

I think the collars provided by 350Evo should be smaller to avoid contact with the OEM brackets. Either that or they should provide their own custom replacement brackets like Hotchkis.