Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

A question about brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:57 PM
trevisthomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question about brakes

I have an 05 Z with a few mods on it. (19” offset wheels, nismo exhaust and a nice sound system) I bought pretty much a base model Z because I wasn’t terribly interested in Nissans’s packages. I’d like to do one more thing to my car though and I’m not sure what would be the best route to take. I want to have at least the look of an aftermarket brake system. I’m wondering what would be the best way to go about this.

I’m not interested in doing any of the work myself. I don’t mind spending some cash but I’d rather not be spending thousands on this.

About how much do you think it would cost for me to just have the brake calipers changed to a fancier powder coated set? If I’m having that done would it make sense to have the disks changed to ventilated ones also? About how much would it cost if I really did want to go with something higher performance?

I wouldn’t be interested in doing any of this work myself. Ideally I’d like to have my dealer perform the work, would something like that even be possible? Or would they laugh me out of there for even asking?

Thanks in advance.
Trevis.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Painted OEM calipers would look silly.

Do a search with "BBK" (Big Brake Kit) and you will have plenty of options for a nice brake setup.

Your dealer will certainly install what ever kit you get.

Your rotors are already vented. We're you thinking of "sloted" or "drilled" rotors?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:00 AM
trevisthomas

I guess I was thinking slotted or drilled. I know little to nothing about this subject. Breaking performance isn’t really that much of an issue for me. My car never sees a race track or anything. I just like the look of aftermarket breaks. It looks like a big break kit would cost in the 4~5k range for the whole car and I don’t know what that’d cost to get installed. I don’t think that I could rationalize spending that much. I might be willing to go 2k for the whole thing.

I’m wondering if maybe something like this would be more appropriate:

http://www.racingbrake.com/OE_calipe...kit_s/2870.htm
Old 02-14-2006, 07:07 AM
abstrakt

A member here (2003z) powdercoats brake calipers in addition to other components. You could have your stock calipers powdercoated and then upgrade to slotted and crossdrilled rotors and that would at least look a little sportier. This would run you I'd say: $600 to $900 probably...depending on S/H and the price you get on the rotors. Otherwise, you could just get a front BBK and leave the back alone.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:44 AM
trevisthomas

I guess the high dollar part of a new brake kit is the calipers. Being clueless I would have thought that it would be the rotors.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:53 AM
barthelb
Master

First thing I'd do in your situation is probably first decide where your gonna take this project. Even though your probably thinking "I'll just install some parts and make it look and sound nice". Make sure you plan everything out. Because you may end up replacing some parts are re-inventing the wheel sorta speak.

I guess i would start with a stock or aftermarket LSD and/or an intake or plenum spacer. After that I'd upgrade suspension, coilovers and sways. Then work a little on body. I'd save the brakes for last since they aren't really necessary until you either overpower them or have upgraded/addressed other parts of the car.

Hope that helps, good luck.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:02 AM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could probably put something together in that price range with functionality by going with the used stock Brembos (track model). I have seen used sets for as little as $800.

Last edited by TK2005; 02-14-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:05 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don’t care for the idea of the Stock Caliper with extended bracket. If you want big brakes, then get true big brakes. And you are right about performance: slotted and drilled rotors are for looks.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:11 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by trevisthomas
I guess I was thinking slotted or drilled. I know little to nothing about this subject. Breaking performance isn’t really that much of an issue for me. My car never sees a race track or anything. I just like the look of aftermarket breaks. It looks like a big break kit would cost in the 4~5k range for the whole car and I don’t know what that’d cost to get installed. I don’t think that I could rationalize spending that much. I might be willing to go 2k for the whole thing.

I’m wondering if maybe something like this would be more appropriate:

http://www.racingbrake.com/OE_calipe...kit_s/2870.htm
Your question is about taste, and tastes vary. Fake big brakes remind me of fake two-piece wheels. I dont like either idea, but if you do, go for it.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:12 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by trevisthomas
the high dollar part of a new brake kit is the calipers.
Correct