Old 03-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will someone buy my 6pots so i can buy the 12 pots just for BLING? hehe
Old 03-22-2006, 12:20 AM
AParshall04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow i dont know why the hell i just wasted an hour reading this entire thread, im not even thinking about a bbk anytime soon.

One thing i noticed that no one else seemed to notice was that bremboguy totally avoided one huge concept.

Someone asked about the carbon/carbon brakes and why we cant buy them and then bremboguy responded that they are too dangerous for the street, following a response from the original guy asking why they use them on enzos, 430s, SLRs, etc, and we got a response from bremboguy that they have some kind of modified pad or whatever that makes it slightly less crazy so it will be safe on the street.

So now we have two options to consider:

1. Brembos prices on these brakes are out of this world because they make these brakes as an exclusive thing for really really expensive cars. Possibly even these really expensive cars had to pay brembo HUGE amounts of money to be the only cars that can offer these particular brakes, so that guys like us with 350zs can't have them. It's a good marketing technique i guess and makes brembo look like they are on top of the industry even more.

2. He is just flat out lying about them not being street safe.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:13 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubble
will someone buy my 6pots so i can buy the 12 pots just for BLING? hehe
PM sent Alex.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:58 AM
tekk

Originally Posted by AParshall04
wow i dont know why the hell i just wasted an hour reading this entire thread, im not even thinking about a bbk anytime soon.

One thing i noticed that no one else seemed to notice was that bremboguy totally avoided one huge concept.

Someone asked about the carbon/carbon brakes and why we cant buy them and then bremboguy responded that they are too dangerous for the street, following a response from the original guy asking why they use them on enzos, 430s, SLRs, etc, and we got a response from bremboguy that they have some kind of modified pad or whatever that makes it slightly less crazy so it will be safe on the street.

So now we have two options to consider:

1. Brembos prices on these brakes are out of this world because they make these brakes as an exclusive thing for really really expensive cars. Possibly even these really expensive cars had to pay brembo HUGE amounts of money to be the only cars that can offer these particular brakes, so that guys like us with 350zs can't have them. It's a good marketing technique i guess and makes brembo look like they are on top of the industry even more.

2. He is just flat out lying about them not being street safe.
those arent two options...ie its not either or. carbon/ceramic technology can be made for the street. what he avoided was the fact that brembo will not allow just anyone to have these brakes. money isnt really an issue. im not sure why brembo is like that, if a manufacturer is willing to pay for it, why not do it? for whatever reason, they wont.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:38 AM
TheTruth
Banned

Unfortunately BremboGuy got banned so he won't be answering these questions anytime soon.
It was probably politics over who pays to spread their information vs. who's willing to just come in and answer questions truthfully and honestly.

So my question is, why are you guys interested in this technology???
Is it because it's different?? Because of the exclusivity??? Weight savings???
Are you guys exceeding the performance level of Cast Iron brake systems???
You guys planning on starting a racing series with unlimited budgets and open modifications???

Anyways...Carbon/Carbon technology is still very limited. Limited in terms of supply...as well as limited to what types of applications it can successfully be used in. And unless you guys fully understand the manufacturing process...the functionality of the product...and the cost of manufacturing...you will never realize that you are asking for something that you don't even really want or will ever need.

Did you guys know that brake dust on a Carbon system is far worse than any cast iron rotor/pad combination??
Did you know that replacement pads run close to $800 per set and replacement discs are in the 1000's of dollars depending on disc diameter??
Did you know that the wear rate is at least 3 times that of similar size cast iron discs???

Just some food for though.
The one and only advantage to carbon over cast iron is weight savings of the disc.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:28 AM
buzzardmountain

Originally Posted by TheTruth
Unfortunately BremboGuy got banned so he won't be answering these questions anytime soon.
It was probably politics over who pays to spread their information vs. who's willing to just come in and answer questions truthfully and honestly.

You guys planning on starting a racing series with unlimited budgets and open modifications???

Anyways...Carbon/Carbon technology is still very limited. Limited in terms of supply...as well as limited to what types of applications it can successfully be used in. And unless you guys fully understand the manufacturing process...the functionality of the product...and the cost of manufacturing...you will never realize that you are asking for something that you don't even really want or will ever need.

Did you guys know that brake dust on a Carbon system is far worse than any cast iron rotor/pad combination??
Did you know that replacement pads run close to $800 per set and replacement discs are in the 1000's of dollars depending on disc diameter??
Did you know that the wear rate is at least 3 times that of similar size cast iron discs???

The one and only advantage to carbon over cast iron is weight savings of the disc.

Thanks, I'm sure none of those that were posting would've ever bought them at that cost in the first place. Just something to b!tch about I guess.

BTW, sad that BremboGuy was banned.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:27 AM
tekk

weight savings, heat management, cleaner...

ceramic and composite brake technologies are being used in street cars.
but as of yet, these products are not available aftermarket.
as implimmented on other street cars, they allegedly provide excellent braking without fade worries, minimal brake dust, and lower unsprung/rotational weight.

thats not what ferrari and porsche guys are saying

wear hasnt been that bad on more recent generations, afaik.

as far as sales, ...again, im coming at this from two standpoints.
1. a mfr i know wants to provide them for a certain six-figure car. brembo wont do it.

2. i intend on buying a gtr when it comes out. when that happens, i would consider spending $5-10k for such a braking system.

again, i think that is incorrect... but if im wrong, let me know
Old 03-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, some people have of money to waste!

I’m sure Ferrari doesn’t want any parts of their cars to end up in econoboxes like our cars. So now way Brembo will be allowed to supply these rotors to ordinary people. Nissan does the same thing with its Brembo rotors by the way.

If it’s the incandescent glow of the carbon rotors you want, any cast iron rotors can do it too. Super high temperatures? How high? Get bigger rotors instead.

Then again, if someone really had money, he’d get an F430 with the optional ceramic brakes, or a GT2 or something fast…
Old 03-22-2006, 12:09 PM
AParshall04

I dont know much about brakes, but if bremboguy was saying they are too dangerous for street i would assume that those carbon brakes are better braking brakes than whats available to the public right now.

I just saw a hole in his responses that hadnt been addressed.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Kolia

I dont know much about brakes, but if bremboguy was saying they are too dangerous for street i would assume that those carbon brakes are better braking brakes than whats available to the public right now.

Bremboguy differentiated carbon-carbon brakes system (seen in F1) from carbon-ceramic brakes found on exotic cars. The last ones will work at lower temperatures.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Nano

was it a top gear episode when they had the rotors on the SLR catch fire?
Old 03-23-2006, 03:59 AM
tekk

Kolia is right.

I realize now that I'm wrong and what I want would reflect badly on my fellow Nissan enthusiasts. The mod makes no sense, especially for the money. Maybe spend that money on the engine, but to spend that money on brakes too would be silly.

I'm also a poser. If I really money I would own a Boxster which has PCCB optional, and never an econobox like a Z, GTR, etc.

Last edited by tekk; 03-23-2006 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:25 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by tekk
...Removed...
Woah!

Are all G owners that touchy?

Tekk, I was about to reply to your pre-pre-edited post by a simple “No”. (How many time will you edit that one?

I don’t care what people do to their cars. There are many ways to be a car guy/girl. Show stuff, Go Stuff, drag racing, mountain driving, road racing. Personnaly, I “mod” my Z when I reach it’s mechanical/dynamic limits. (ie It’s pretty much bone stock after a year of track driving).

So what I’m I doing on a Z modding forum? I’m testing people’s reasons and/or resolve for getting a specific upgrade. If I can get some knowledge exchanged in the process, all the better (that exchange can go both ways…).

In the current context, if it’s for added performance that “someone” wants a carbon-ceramic brake upgrade, they should know that it’s completely overkill (hence the “waste of money” comments). If it’s to have the look of the carbon-ceramic rotor, well then, that “someone” can go ahead and do it. Of course, it would have to be available in the first place…

Last edited by Kolia; 03-23-2006 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:32 AM
buzzardmountain

Originally Posted by tekk
Kolia is right.

I realize now that I'm wrong and what I want would reflect badly on my fellow Nissan enthusiasts. The mod makes no sense, especially for the money. Maybe spend that money on the engine, but to spend that money on brakes too would be silly.

I'm also a poser. If I really money I would own a Boxster which has PCCB optional, and never an econobox like a Z, GTR, etc.
You keep mentioning the Z and the GTR, almost referencing them as one in the same. Do you think the "typical" Z owner is the same as the future "typical" GTR owner? There's gonna be what 40K - 50K difference in the cost of the car.

Do you think the "typical" Z owner wants to spend 10K on brakes? I think not.

Does the "typical" future GTR owner? Maybe.

As a business owner, does the thought of $10K brakes in the Z market sound like a wise investment? Nope.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:51 AM
tekk

Originally Posted by buzzardmountain
You keep mentioning the Z and the GTR, almost referencing them as one in the same. Do you think the "typical" Z owner is the same as the future "typical" GTR owner? There's gonna be what 40K - 50K difference in the cost of the car.

Do you think the "typical" Z owner wants to spend 10K on brakes? I think not.

Does the "typical" future GTR owner? Maybe.

As a business owner, does the thought of $10K brakes in the Z market sound like a wise investment? Nope.
first of all i hope i didnt offend anyone.
looking at the FI forum. those poeple are spending a lot more than the money i'm talking about here. we're all nissan enthusiasts. some willing /able to spend more than others. i agree with you though, i wouldnt buy this kind of setup for my G right now, but im sure someone else out there would if the system were available. the other way i look at it though, is that new technology is expensive. eventually it will cost less.

Originally Posted by Kolia
Woah!

Are all G owners that touchy?

Tekk, I was about to reply to your pre-pre-edited post by a simple “No”. (How many time will you edit that one?

I don’t care what people do to their cars. There are many ways to be a car guy/girl. Show stuff, Go Stuff, drag racing, mountain driving, road racing. Personnaly, I “mod” my Z when I reach it’s mechanical/dynamic limits. (ie It’s pretty much bone stock after a year of track driving).

So what I’m I doing on a Z modding forum? I’m testing people’s reasons and/or resolve for getting a specific upgrade. If I can get some knowledge exchanged in the process, all the better (that exchange can go both ways…).

In the current context, if it’s for added performance that “someone” wants a carbon-ceramic brake upgrade, they should know that it’s completely overkill (hence the “waste of money” comments). If it’s to have the look of the carbon-ceramic rotor, well then, that “someone” can go ahead and do it. Of course, it would have to be available in the first place…
at first i thought you were kidding and i wasnt being targeted. then i reread everything and felt like i was being called out. i dont represent all G owners and i am sorry for all the edits.

as i was saying though, right now, iron is by far the more cost effective solution. i agree with you. overkill seems to be a relative term though... ex: 500whp club. to some it seems excessive, but i wouldnt say anything negative toward anyone trying to get there. in fact i would hope things work out for the best for them even if i couldnt or wouldnt do it.

by nature i am attracted to new technology and hope that some day soon we can see a lot of these technologies available for more people. maybe im wrong. maybe c-c will be given up on soon for some reason. or maybe itll be another 25 years before we see c-c brakes in more 'common' cars. but im hoping thats not true..

on a completely unrelated note, i highly suggest everyone here stays very far away from titanium rotors
Old 03-23-2006, 08:36 AM
buzzardmountain

I wasn't offended other than the fact it seemed you were bashing Brembo for not bringing a product into the Z market, knowing it wouldn't sell.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:29 PM
VN_350z
Banned

BBK war is over?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:26 AM
TheTruth
Banned

Was this a war....or a spirited debate???

I think BremboGuy said what he wanted to say.
Good to see Brembo stepping in and letting people know that they want to be active in the community.

And JRitt was antagonistic, but willing to play along.
I think he was shocked to see someone other than Rotora in these forums.

Seems that their is no friendly competiton in the Brake Industry.

Last edited by TheTruth; 03-29-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:41 AM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Was this a war....or a spirited debate???

I think BremboGuy said what he wanted to say.
Good to see Brembo stepping in and lettign people know that they want to be active int he community.

And JRitt was antagonistic, but willing to play along.
I think he was shocked to see someone other than Rotora in these forums.

Seems that their is no friendly competiton in the Brake Industry.
I think BremboGuy is still around posting under a different name.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

i still like Bremboguy over Stoptech. Lolz.

aniway.. someone buy my 14" kit so i can upgrade to 15".

Quick Reply: Rotora 8 piston BBK ????