Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Russell SS Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 03:00 PM
zzz350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Russell SS Brake Lines

I have been looking for SS Brake Lines for my Z, does anyone have good or bad things to say about Russell Brake Lines?

I have found an ebay seller that sells all four braided SS lines for $82 (non-brembo).

Also, does Teflon coated lines make any real material difference.

I only use my car on the street and am not a street racer.

Any advice on making a purchase would be appreciated.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:51 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm considering those to, but if were talking about the same ebay seller reading his feedback scared me away. I'd rather pay a bit more and avoid that chance. For the time being I think I'll just stay oem. I did pickup Russel's speed bleeders so I can do my front brake upgrade (just larger oem 06 fronts).

http://www.raceshopper.com/russell_brake_lines.shtml
Figured I'd order ATE blue fluid at the same time.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:33 AM
Turninconcepts

Russell is a very good brand, and has been around for quite some time. You can't really go wrong with their stuff.

As for teflon coated - that's doubtful. Most likely the coating is some type of PVC.

The teflon is for the line core, as in the actual line. See, rubber expands under pressure, Teflon (or the teflon's by other manufacturers) does not expand under pressure. This is great for things like brake lines, but the down side is that teflon is pretty fragile. It tears easily, and get's abraided by rubbing, grit, and other yucky stuff without much effort.

To protect the teflon you have the SS wrap over the line. In fact, it doesn't always have to be SS to protect. We've seen race lines where every bit of weight counts so they wrap them in kevlar. So, now you've got this SS wrap, but dust and stuff can get betwen the wrap and the teflon thus bringing up the abrasion problem again. To help alleviate this there's a PVC coating over the wrap to help shield further from the environment.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:26 AM
zzz350

thanx for the info guys, I appreciate the help.

Gsedan,

I must have read some different seller feedback about the vendor, frcr (or something like that), are we talking about the same seller?
Old 09-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zzz350
I have been looking for SS Brake Lines for my Z, does anyone have good or bad things to say about Russell Brake Lines?

I have found an ebay seller that sells all four braided SS lines for $82 (non-brembo).

Also, does Teflon coated lines make any real material difference.

I only use my car on the street and am not a street racer.

Any advice on making a purchase would be appreciated.
Actually in most cases SS line is refered to ---Stainless Steel Braided Teflon Inner Tube Line. The teflon tube is durable and impervious to heat. The SS braided covering is the back bone. It is resistent to elements and has no give to it, making for no out side expansion, hence-- stiffer brake/clutch feel.
Im running Stop-Tech
Old 09-14-2006, 02:57 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teflon inner tubes are used because the brake fluid can't corrode the material. The Stainless Steel braid keeps the tube from flexing, and StopTech lines also have a PVC plastic coating on the outside of the braided steel to keep dirt and debris from being worked into the lines.

We also pressure do 100% pressure testing of all lines that go out the door to make sure that they won't fail.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:00 AM
zzz350

ordered my Russell SS lines and speed bleeders thru an ebay dealer, last week. Thanks for the info guys.