Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

More on RSR Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 05:48 PM
bleachberu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More on RSR Springs

Dear All,

I have searched this topic but haven't found the answers to my questions yet.

1. I'm about to install some RSR Ti springs. However, I was told that replacing springs only without changing shocks puts stress on the car leading to premature wear & tear on the whole suspension. Is there any truth in this?
2. What would be a suitable shock combo for RSR? (I noticed that koni + eibach is popular in this forum)
3. As advised by bros here, getting alignment done after installing springs is a must. But there's a 'settling' period for the springs. How long is this settling period? 1wk/1 month? Is there a 'appropriate' time to have the alignment done after getting my springs installed?

Pls advise and many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
B
Old 02-26-2007, 10:47 AM
alexfair

good questions, i really want to hear an answer.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:48 AM
noodleman

i'm no expert on this, but I do have the RSR Ti springs, so i'll just chime in.

1) after a summer of driving, I haven't noticed any extra wear on the shocks. But I do have the revised suspension (2004.5), so the springs rates are similar to the stock specs.

2) I'm on stock stocks, and have no real plans of switching, so can't help you there, but i've heard koni's to be quite nice.

3) I waited a few weeks before getting my alignment, but that's out of laziness rather than a prescribed time. Mostly i've heard a week or so should be enough time for the springs to settle.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2004.5 and I ran on RS*R springs & stock shocks for a year and a half without problems.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Regarding the time for springs to settle, and this may be common sense to you, but make sure you are driving the car regularly during the waiting period between installation and alignment. Letting the car sit under its own weight only will not allow the springs to settle fully in any short amount of time. (This only applies if you're a person who only takes their Z out on weekends, etc.) I'd say after installation put the car through its paces, take it on some bumpy/hilly roads, make sure you excercise the suspension through its range of travel, then get aligned.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:55 PM
bleachberu

Hi guys,

Appreciate all your helpful responses! Many thanks again.

I'm not sure if you can read my signature (I can't see it myself) but my ride is an 03 touring. Hence I'm on the older suspension setup (harder than 04/05?).

I had a quiet afternoon so I went back 10 pages to 04 postings and found 1-2postings on RSR shock combos. Koni Yellows and Tokico D-specs came up as suitable ones apparently but these shocks seem to be the fav on this forum.

Sry110: Excellent Point! My Z is used mainly on weekends.

2. How did you guys find the RSR Ti springs? I chose them given its mild drop and close to stock spring rates. Did the ride become harsher? (I don't track my car)

Cheers,
B
Old 02-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bleachberu
Hi guys,

Appreciate all your helpful responses! Many thanks again.

I'm not sure if you can read my signature (I can't see it myself) but my ride is an 03 touring. Hence I'm on the older suspension setup (harder than 04/05?).

I had a quiet afternoon so I went back 10 pages to 04 postings and found 1-2postings on RSR shock combos. Koni Yellows and Tokico D-specs came up as suitable ones apparently but these shocks seem to be the fav on this forum.

Sry110: Excellent Point! My Z is used mainly on weekends.

2. How did you guys find the RSR Ti springs? I chose them given its mild drop and close to stock spring rates. Did the ride become harsher? (I don't track my car)

Cheers,
B
To clarify, 03/04 car's have shocks that are ("harder") in compression dampning, but a bit lacking in rebound control. Vs 04.5+ car's the front spring rates are the same, but the rear springs are softer.

03/04 314/342
04.5+ 314/427

You'll notice a slight increase in whole car stiffness with the RSR springs in place vs your oem springs.

HOWEVER, given that the 03/04 oem shock does not have the best rebound control, you'll be better served by a shock upgrade for reason's that really a little to do with the slight increases in spring stiffness your going to be adding. Koni's have less compression damping and rebound only control vs your 03/04 shocks. D-specs can be set to also have less compression dampning or they can be set to be stiffer then your 03/04 shocks since they are double adjustable (compression/rebound). Point is, either shock will bring you what you should really be after, a whole lot better dampning performance, that you will pick up on right away yeilding you better performance and a more satisfying driving experience.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 02-27-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:32 AM
bleachberu

Many thanks for your pointers GSedan!

I'm looking into shocks now. Been surfing old threads, looks like the issue of Koni Yellows vs D-Specs has been beaten to death. My conclusion:
Konis: more expensive, rebound only control but the rear is easier to adjust, longer history hence better perceived quality by some?
Tokico: cheaper, compression + rebound ability the but the rear is a terror to get to

What is your personal view on this? (My Z is a DD + occassionaly spirited driving + freeway cruising. road conditions here generally ok but fair bit of speed humps)

Cheers,
B
Old 02-27-2007, 07:00 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Both shocks have superior valving to all oem Z shocks. I have owned the Koni's myself and I've driven in two G35's that I helped install D-specs on.

For you I can't say you have reason to pay more for Koni's. Consider how offten you will actually adjust the shocks. Also their are way's to add a extention adjustor to the rear D-specs for on car adjustment, check out the thread's that deal with that and see if would be willing to do the modifying required to use them. But that does bring me back to asking how offten you'll really need to make adjustments.

In the end, both shocks are much better then oem, neither is a wrong choice.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 AM
MarkM

Originally Posted by bleachberu
Many thanks for your pointers GSedan!

I'm looking into shocks now. Been surfing old threads, looks like the issue of Koni Yellows vs D-Specs has been beaten to death. My conclusion:
Konis: more expensive, rebound only control but the rear is easier to adjust, longer history hence better perceived quality by some?
Tokico: cheaper, compression + rebound ability the but the rear is a terror to get to

What is your personal view on this? (My Z is a DD + occassionaly spirited driving + freeway cruising. road conditions here generally ok but fair bit of speed humps)

Cheers,
B

An 8mm hole on each side through the strut brace, under the plastic covers makes adjustment do-able on the car with a longer 3mm allen key, it's so easy...but yeah, I messed around with different settings for the 1st week, settled on what felt good then didn't touch them again!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:41 PM
bleachberu

Thanks guys for your inputs.

Frankly, I'm probably going to end up like MarkM, twiddle with them the first week and later leave them alone. The only adjustment I see myself making is only when I go freeway cruising and that only happens once every 4-6 weeks. For most part, my driving is city based given our island state.

I read about the drilling hole method for rear access but I'm not keen to be honest.

Ok, will check on availability here and make a decision.

Thanks again.