Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Do springs void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:16 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do springs void warranty?

After taking my car to the dealership 8 times and them saying there is nothing wrong with the suspension, Am just gonna work it out myself. My car still feels floaty and bounce of the highway, switch lanes while accelerating is still kinda scary(car wobbles left to right). So the first thing am gonna do is buy some Tien S tech springs, and then from there...maybe some suggestions?!??! Anyway will the springs void the warranty?? thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Pooplet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i have the "wobbles" too..I only get it on certain parts of the freeway which is really strange. It feels like the *** of the car is shifting.I just put in tein S-tech springs so hopefully it goes away.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:27 PM
gabez33

Originally Posted by Pooplet
i think i have the "wobbles" too..I only get it on certain parts of the freeway which is really strange. It feels like the *** of the car is shifting.I just put in tein S-tech springs so hopefully it goes away.

Yeah exactly, the *** of the ride feels like it wants to go its own way...I hate that...
Old 02-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any aftermarket part will only void the warranty if it directly causes the problem. For example, if you change out the air filter, they cannot claim that it voids any issues that you have with your suspension. If you change a component of the suspension, they may. This also varies by dealership.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:50 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not sure that changing out parts is the best way to debug an unknown problem. You could wind up making it worse. At best, you're just throwing more variables into the mix.

Are you on OEM tires/wheels/suspension or have you made any mods yet in that area? Has it always done this or is it a recent problem? Does it do it on all roads or just some?

Has anybody checked the obvious stuff like air pressure, wheels on the right side of the car (swapped sides)?

Have you tried driving another 350Z to see if you feel the same way? How about have another Z owner drive yours to see if they notice any difference? The problem with having the dealer tech drive the car is that he is not intimately familiar with the ride and feel of a Z. How's he supposed to know what doesn't feel right?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Pooplet

Yea I have no idea what this "rear swaying" feeling is...Its definitely noticeable on certain parts of the freeway for me. My car driver straight when i let go of the wheel and no unusual shakes....hrmmm...
Old 02-28-2007, 10:33 PM
ANXIOUZ

That sounds like low-pressure tires to me, not suspension. I ran over a nail on the way home from work recently and noticed the car getting floaty and less responsive. It was just really low air pressure in one of the tires.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Hmm...right after I put my springs in the car was kinda floaty at highway speeds. Only for a day or so though then they settled out and it felt stuck to the ground again.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:33 PM
calin
Banned

so does anyone know if getting lowering springs will void your warranty or not? i just got some eibach sportline springs and didnt really think about my warranty when i bought them until now. ill call the dealer tomorrow to find out for sure but does anyone know if it voids the warranty or not?
Old 05-02-2007, 04:43 AM
Q45tech

The dealer has nothing to do with your warranty it is between Nissan and yourself.

An ethical dealer will repair anything Nissan will pay for, baring that you will have to pay.

What one wants is to be so close [friendly like a brother] with dealer personel that they stay on your side and push Nissan to pay for things on YOUR car.

After market springs being stiffer will wear attached components faster so it would be UNREASONABLE for you to expect warranty on shocks and rubber bushings or things bent by them. However rubber items are wear items and not covered beyond 12k anyway. Shocks have to leak for warranty replacement.

The is no such thing as a total voided warranty [except for fire/flood/accident damage].........Nissan must show correlation between the parts you change and some other part failing
Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Q45tech
What one wants is to be so close [friendly like a brother] with dealer personel that they stay on your side and push Nissan to pay for things on YOUR car.
Amen to that. I've always made it a point to become acquainted with the managers at the dealerships that I've bought from. I was on a first name basis with both the parts and service managers a month before my 350 arrived.

You see threads here by people describing a confrontation with the service advisor or manager. Those guys will never get "satisfaction" from the service department. Very few managers can truly overlook that kind of behavior and treat that customer exactly the same as they'd treat their favorite customers.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Mansmind

Originally Posted by Q45tech
+1000 I'm getting a free alignment due to this right now. From the other side.. I didn't make them rent me a car since I have another one anyway. They appreciate things like that.. as well as good reviews on the surveys you get.

John
Old 05-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

I believe that your warranty will not be effected if you do not drop past .8. For example the Tein S-Tech springs are .6 front and .7 rear drop, which if we do the math are both less than .8- in any case the dealer must prove that a modification you've done caused the problem to deny a claim. Any lowering, no matter how small will cause negative camber, but you may still be within "specs".
An alignment after dropping is heartily recommended.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:58 AM
Q45tech

Lowering per se is not the issue it is the FACT that stiffer springs create more force when compressed and when released and this force must be controlled by shocks and rubber isolators. This higher extra impact force may break things that a stock spring will not.

The dealer doesn't have to prove anything, your warranty is with Nissan.

A dealer can just refuse to service you and suggest you find someone else. They can jerk you around and hope you go away.
The contract for reimbursement with Nissan allows them to reject abusive unreasonable customers for service.

We see lots of bearing damages from wider, larger, heavier wheels exceeding the oem design llimits usually happens after warrranty expires.

Just remember the dealer only has 2 sources of revenue Nissan and you.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aaaah... I'm puzzled by the total absence of the word Alignement in a topic that tries to address rear end high speed instabillity...

What does your rear toe look like ?

Does the Z have rear bump steer ? If it does, lowering the car will give more rear toe out, making any instabillity worse.

Check your alignement first. That should be checked/done every 6 months anyways.

edited to clarify the toe in/out...