Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

shocks! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 05:21 PM
RanFerr_350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks! Please help

Okay guys this is my first post here at My350z. I searched and read pages and pages but i can't find a clear cut answer so i'm asking my fellow Z owners for some advice. Just recently i purchased some new items for my first mod which is my suspension. The items i bought were Tanabe GF210's, SPC rear and front camber/caster adjustments. Now i'm stuck on deciding on shocks. Tokico D-spec seem to be the favorite here but I really don't plan on tracking or AutoX with my Z, so i don't see why i should fork over the $500-600 dollars for some shocks i probably won't ever adjust i just can't justify the reason., it's just my daily driver. I've read that I SHOULD be okay on stock shocks but really why not upgrade the shocks now while the springs are being changed. My question is, are there any other shocks i can purchase to save me some money?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 PM
black06z

only other shocks, for the Z, to match with lowering springs, that I found, is the Koni Sport. That ain't cheaper either. Shocks for the Z are expensive regardless. I would just go with the Tokico D-Specs. CVR motorsports is the cheapest that Ive found so far:
http://www.cvrmotorsports.com/view_p...TOKDSP9&id=175
Old 04-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RanFerr_350z
Okay guys this is my first post here at My350z. I searched and read pages and pages but i can't find a clear cut answer so i'm asking my fellow Z owners for some advice. Just recently i purchased some new items for my first mod which is my suspension. The items i bought were Tanabe GF210's, SPC rear and front camber/caster adjustments. Now i'm stuck on deciding on shocks. Tokico D-spec seem to be the favorite here but I really don't plan on tracking or AutoX with my Z, so i don't see why i should fork over the $500-600 dollars for some shocks i probably won't ever adjust i just can't justify the reason., it's just my daily driver. I've read that I SHOULD be okay on stock shocks but really why not upgrade the shocks now while the springs are being changed. My question is, are there any other shocks i can purchase to save me some money?
If your having trouble justifying $500 for D-specs, you won't be able to make the jump to Koni's at $720. Your other shock choice that would happen to priced where you'd like it to be would be the KYB GR-2 at $260 shipped. Thing is, it's very doubtfull that they have any properties other then being brand new to justify the expence. Plus they are not valved for use with stiffer lowering springs anyhow. You have Bilstien H.D's, which will be better then oem, but they are also not valved for stiffer springs then oem and they're price higher then you'll like at $645.

Tokico D-specs, when installed will clearly let you see why you spent $500 on them, they are that much better then oem. It's not just that they are double adjustable (Koni's are single adjustable) and can be set to be softer then any oem Z shock or set to be firmer then any oem shock. It's that they are very well designed and improve the ride and drive experience enough to justify the expence.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:10 AM
Q45tech

Shocks on standard springs usually show their age by 30,000 miles and need replacing by 60,000 miles..................adjustable shocks can be progressively adjusted to approximate as new and may be functional for 100k...........quite a cost savings if you keep vehicle longer than 60k.

Stiffer springs will wear shocks faster, so adjustables are almost mandatory if you keep a vehicle 50k.

Everybody has different ride control standards when replacement money is involved.

Last edited by Q45tech; 04-18-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:17 AM
THE TECH

I'm a fan of either Bilstein or Koni.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:57 AM
RanFerr_350z

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
If your having trouble justifying $500 for D-specs, you won't be able to make the jump to Koni's at $720. Your other shock choice that would happen to priced where you'd like it to be would be the KYB GR-2 at $260 shipped. Thing is, it's very doubtfull that they have any properties other then being brand new to justify the expence. Plus they are not valved for use with stiffer lowering springs anyhow. You have Bilstien H.D's, which will be better then oem, but they are also not valved for stiffer springs then oem and they're price higher then you'll like at $645.

Tokico D-specs, when installed will clearly let you see why you spent $500 on them, they are that much better then oem. It's not just that they are double adjustable (Koni's are single adjustable) and can be set to be softer then any oem Z shock or set to be firmer then any oem shock. It's that they are very well designed and improve the ride and drive experience enough to justify the expence.
after reading some of your guy's replies, you guys made me realize that the tokico d specs are the way to go!! thanks again guys. Oh BTW at wat settings do they recommend for daily driving. i heard 3 clicks from the softest setting?? does that sound right??
Old 04-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Q45tech

Shocks must match spring stiffness and unsprung and sprung weight that's why they are adjustable..................rebound [expansion stiffness] is the most critical setting.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Gsedan35

after reading some of your guy's replies, you guys made me realize that the tokico d specs are the way to go!! thanks again guys. Oh BTW at wat settings do they recommend for daily driving. i heard 3 clicks from the softest setting?? does that sound right??
Based on how you intend to use the car, 3 off of full soft would be fine. Both car's that I drove in that I helped the owners install D-specs on were set to 4.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:20 PM
black06z

that's awesome. Im actually gonna order a set for myself this weekend. Might as well do everything at once while the wheels are off.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:46 PM
RanFerr_350z

so i went ahead and bought the Tokico's. after reading and researching it seemed like the best thing to do. I purchased them through CVR motorsports..thanks black06z for think!! I will post pics as soon as it's dropped.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:11 PM
azula

cvr is the cheapest i've found as well. i have a question, will these shocks effect the ride height at all?
Old 04-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by azula
cvr is the cheapest i've found as well. i have a question, will these shocks effect the ride height at all?
No they won't effect ride height, neither with Koni sports, Bilstein H.D. or KYB GR2 for that matter.