Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

brake "bite"

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 04:19 PM
nismo*son

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake "bite"

Well, I got an 07 350z in feb and I have noticed when I'm coming to a complete stop, at about 2-4 mph just before I stop I get this "bite"(It's like the brakes grab for a quick second and then let go) and then come to a complete stop. I dont think it's me I have tryed every thing from approaching a stop very slowly to a quick stop and I still get a "bite".
I was pretty hard on them last month at an AutoX. What do you guys think it could be?? pads, rotors??
Old 04-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^ ^ I'm not certain I understand the question or providing useful information, but I'm going to take a "run at it" anyway.

All the Z's (mine is a 2003) have sensitive/"grabby" brakes. That is actually a feature. The braking behaviour on Porsche's is very similar to this. When coming to a full stop, you need to gently let-up on the brake pedal once you are at about 3-5mph to achieve a smooth stop. I suspect you already know this, so the information may not be helpful to you (but, maybe it will be of benefit to another reader).

You may be experiencing a problem with the Z's electronic throttle. When you come to nearly a stop, and the Z's ECU "thinks" it is starving, the car adds some juice (throttles-up). I see this happen in the first five minutes I drive the car when the air temperature is near freezing, but I'm in a cold climate and you are not; so I'm not sure about this explanation.

My impression reading your thread is that you are an experienced driver who knows when something is wrong. I'm guessing, but I would place the blame on "sticky" calipers. They are making the brake-pads grab, and are not releasing properly. That is something to check since the symptoms you describe match this scenario.
--Spike
Old 04-21-2007, 08:18 PM
nismo*son

thanks for the info bro
Old 04-22-2007, 03:44 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by nismo*son
Well, I got an 07 350z in feb and I have noticed when I'm coming to a complete stop, at about 2-4 mph just before I stop I get this "bite"(It's like the brakes grab for a quick second and then let go) and then come to a complete stop. I dont think it's me I have tryed every thing from approaching a stop very slowly to a quick stop and I still get a "bite".
I was pretty hard on them last month at an AutoX. What do you guys think it could be?? pads, rotors??
Normal. Just got new pads and rotors all the way around, (Not stock) and it still does the same thing. You get used to it after a while. I find myself almost rear ending people in my other cars cause i instinctively let off the brake when i am about to come to a stop, thinking i am still in the Z.