Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

What is the best brake caliper location?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:29 PM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best brake caliper location?

I was thinking about the location of the brake caliper and how that affects the car. I have noticed that many higher end sports cars have calipers on the back(right) side of the rotor when facing it. The Z's have them on the front side, sorta. I looked around for a bit and didn't really find anything about it.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:33 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no difference in performance in regards to where the caliper is mounted.

JET
Old 04-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by kwiker
I was thinking about the location of the brake caliper and how that affects the car. I have noticed that many higher end sports cars have calipers on the back(right) side of the rotor when facing it. The Z's have them on the front side, sorta. I looked around for a bit and didn't really find anything about it.
The "best" location for the caliper on our Z is most probably where it's at now. Or the "least worst" might be a better way to see it.

It's less than ideal for pad knock back. But there is that question of fitting a suspension and steering that comes into play...
Old 04-30-2007, 02:27 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most F1 car have the calipers at the bottom of the rotor to keep CG at its lowest. This is not viable for street cars since the caliper would be difficult to properly bleed without removing it from the car. Ideally a caliper should be vertical in relation to the rotor to keep knockback to a minimum and in theory it will run cooler if is trailing or on the rearward side of the rotor since it can get more airflow. Leading calipers can be blocked by the wheels of airflow but in the vast majority of cases its just not an issue.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:27 PM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

I wasn't asking b/c i was thinking about moving the caliper, just wondering if there was some reason to having it in a specific location.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:45 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

In the world of mass production, they probably placed in in its current location because they could make the brake line 1/2" shorter and save $0.025127 per brake.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:31 PM
mthreat

I've wondered about this myself.. I'm glad someone posted it.

I've noticed porsche caymans have the front caliper on the back side, and the rear caliper on the front side. This would move the wieght toward the center of the car, instead of out toward the ends. I'm not sure how much it matters, but calipers aren't that light.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cars/tech...che-146791.php
Old 04-30-2007, 07:17 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mthreat
I've wondered about this myself.. I'm glad someone posted it.

I've noticed porsche caymans have the front caliper on the back side, and the rear caliper on the front side. This would move the wieght toward the center of the car, instead of out toward the ends. I'm not sure how much it matters, but calipers aren't that light.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cars/tech...che-146791.php
Hm...interesting. However I do like the location of the Z calipers right now, not many cars have the caliper up towards the top and angled like that.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:46 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

The Z actually suffers from some knockback because of weak hubs and the caliper location. It may look good but functionally its not ideal.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:48 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Originally Posted by StopTech
The Z actually suffers from some knockback because of weak hubs and the caliper location. It may look good but functionally its not ideal.
Is that the reason why some front&rear BBK relocates the caliper location?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Sean

someone should put two sets of calipers (fwd and aft) on the front of a Z if they get really bored and have the xtra resources
Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 PM
mthreat

I experience the knockback on just about every turn at the track, and even on the street. Is there any direct solution to this, maybe some aftermarket wheel hubs? I say 'direct', because I'd prefer to fix the root problem rather than use pad springs.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:11 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by mthreat
I experience the knockback on just about every turn at the track, and even on the street. Is there any direct solution to this, maybe some aftermarket wheel hubs? I say 'direct', because I'd prefer to fix the root problem rather than use pad springs.
New bearing swould help!

Yours a probably shoot...
Old 05-01-2007, 07:32 AM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Pretty much...5x100 Subaru WRX and STi hubs have really bad flex issues as well with no good answer. I beleive the Unitech Playboy 350Zs that run in GrandAm Koni Challenge get fully rebuilt blueprinted hubs for each race because of inherent knockback issues with the 350Z platform.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:43 AM
z350boy
Banned

Originally Posted by sean1967
someone should put two sets of calipers (fwd and aft) on the front of a Z if they get really bored and have the xtra resources

That sounds interesting. I wonder if this is something that could be done ( BBk's would KILL you!!! lol) ?? Would it serve any real purpose or give an advantage in stopping??
Old 05-01-2007, 07:50 AM
LeMans 05

I am definitely interested in the pad knockback issue. I haven't found a solution for it myself. There isn't much that is more irritating to me than an inconsistent pedal feel / travel. I don't track my car, and even on the streets, I find it annoying and possibly unsafe. Nissan has been no help. This issue is one of the main reasons I'm thinking about getting rid of the Z at the end of the summer. If anyone has any fixes, let me know. I might actually enjoy the car more.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember reading that the optimal location (street car), if it works with the suspension, is at 3'o'clock and/or 9'o'clock. On the up-side or down-side does not matter.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Sean

Originally Posted by z350boy
That sounds interesting. I wonder if this is something that could be done ( BBk's would KILL you!!! lol) ?? Would it serve any real purpose or give an advantage in stopping??

it should cut down on the time you would have to apply the brakes (less heat), reduce stopping time, and allow greater weight to be stopped.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by sean1967
it should cut down on the time you would have to apply the brakes (less heat), reduce stopping time, and allow greater weight to be stopped.
You're talking about tires, right ?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Resolute

Pretty much...5x100 Subaru WRX and STi hubs have really bad flex issues as well with no good answer. I beleive the Unitech Playboy 350Zs that run in GrandAm Koni Challenge get fully rebuilt blueprinted hubs for each race because of inherent knockback issues with the 350Z platform.
I remember an interview with Unitech about the Z, in SportZ I think, and they also commented on how much flex the stock knuckle and upper control arm had. Knuckle flex would certainly contribute to the knockback, but hub design is the major reason. Caliper location contributes, but beefier hubs would be the solution. Anyone want to redesign the front knuckle and hub assembly?
Will

Quick Reply: What is the best brake caliper location?