Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

I need your help on deciding which tein to go with

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Marino Z
Know it all

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need your help on deciding which tein to go with

I am not planning of track the car so I don't need high performance suspension. I was wondering what is the major difference between Tein Basic and Mono flex. I see many people go with mono flex but appears to be mono flex is high end suspension for track use. I greatly appriciate if someone can chime in and enlighting me with decision.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the Mono Flex would likely be tremendous overkill for you.

Tein Basic: twin tube shock, single height adjustable, not dampening adjustable. Features spring rates of 9 kg/mm (503 lbs) front and rear. Essentially a well matched set of springs and struts that also allows height adjustment. Not the best choice if you want to slam the car on the ground, but the only coilover under $1000 worth a look IMHO.

Tein Mono Flex - These feature Tein's new MSV valve, which is placed on the rebound side of the main valve. This seperate unit is designed to compliment the low speed dampening adbility, despite the higher spring rate. So, it emphasizes stability and low speed control. Also features dual height adjustability (preload separate from main height adjustment), 16 way dampening adjustment (EDFC compatible!), pillowballs mounts front and rear (camber adjustable in front). Spring rates are 14 kg/mm (783 lbs) front and rear. Significantly more $ than the Basic

If you can provide some more details as to what you are using the car for, what your overall goals and budget are, myself, and others, will be glad to give you some recommendations.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:00 PM
ML2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Tein Flex on my car and I really like them.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:37 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Just curious................. Why are you stuck on Tein's ???
Old 09-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Marino Z
Know it all

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
what other brand do you suggest?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Marino Z
Know it all

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
the Mono Flex would likely be tremendous overkill for you.

Tein Basic: twin tube shock, single height adjustable, not dampening adjustable. Features spring rates of 9 kg/mm (503 lbs) front and rear. Essentially a well matched set of springs and struts that also allows height adjustment. Not the best choice if you want to slam the car on the ground, but the only coilover under $1000 worth a look IMHO.

Tein Mono Flex - These feature Tein's new MSV valve, which is placed on the rebound side of the main valve. This seperate unit is designed to compliment the low speed dampening adbility, despite the higher spring rate. So, it emphasizes stability and low speed control. Also features dual height adjustability (preload separate from main height adjustment), 16 way dampening adjustment (EDFC compatible!), pillowballs mounts front and rear (camber adjustable in front). Spring rates are 14 kg/mm (783 lbs) front and rear. Significantly more $ than the Basic

If you can provide some more details as to what you are using the car for, what your overall goals and budget are, myself, and others, will be glad to give you some recommendations.

Thanks for the reply. Basically, car is daily driver. Since I am not track the car I am not looking to spend too much on suspension.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

given the street driving, if you want the ability to adjust height, the Basics would fit your needs well as would the Tanabe SOC - either would work well for you

Or, if you just want to lower the car, a simple set of springs would be great as well
Old 09-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

given the street driving, if you want the ability to adjust height, the Basics would fit your needs well as would the Tanabe SOC - either would work well for you

Or, if you just want to lower the car, a simple set of springs would be great as well
+1
Old 09-11-2007, 03:41 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a set of Tein Basics like 3 years ago.. they felt almost exactly like stock except you could set the ride height with them.. In some ways it was a waste of money because I paid $900 for height adjustment when i could have just bought some lowering springs and gotten the same look/performance..

If you are not interested in high performance what's wrong with just keeping the stock suspension for the street?? I think the stock suspension performs pretty well with a set of anti-sway bars..

what is your ultimate goal?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:20 AM
SharpShooter

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
What would you suggest .. ?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:23 AM
SharpShooter

Default Just some help

For street and Track... Do get to the strip a couple times a month for test and tune... I have a LOT of wheel hop in my car..... Also some track days at the local road course ....... So would the Mono flex be too stiff for the street, would the Flex be a better choice ?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

the ideal coilover for the dragstrip and the ideal coilover for the road race circuit have absolutely nothing in common - neither would your alignment settings, etc. To really get the benefit at each track would require a completely different setup for each - very costly and of course time consuming.

Address what tires you are running at either type of event, and your budget, and from there it's easier to make a specific recommendation
Old 09-12-2007, 07:37 AM
SharpShooter

the ideal coilover for the dragstrip and the ideal coilover for the road race circuit have absolutely nothing in common - neither would your alignment settings, etc. To really get the benefit at each track would require a completely different setup for each - very costly and of course time consuming.

Address what tires you are running at either type of event, and your budget, and from there it's easier to make a specific recommendation
I know there not the same, I'm just giving an idea of what I do.. I would be more inclined to set my car up for the road, as I get more enjoyment from that.. Right now my tires are factory stock.. As far as my budget, you get what you pay for. I want something good,
Old 09-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Marino Z
Know it all

But isn't replacing just a spring wear out stock shock excessively? which I would need to replace the shock eventually later down on the road.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

not on an 06 +, not when you use the right springs

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 09-12-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Marino Z
Know it all

I have 07, and what would be the right choice springs?
Old 09-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I happen to love the Tein S Tech - good looks, works great on stock struts, car still rides great, and very reasonably priced
Old 09-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Marino Z
Know it all

so with more than 1" drop, they dont blow after certain thousands miles?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marino Z
so with more than 1" drop, they dont blow after certain thousands miles?
More then 1",....how much more?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:13 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Personally, I would keep the drop to right around inch to inch and a quarter, maximum if you are only going to use just springs. You really start to take away alot of important shock stroke if you drop the car more than that. If your desire is to drop the car more than an inch, a proper set of coilovers is your best bet.

Quick Reply: I need your help on deciding which tein to go with