Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tein MonoFlex or KW V3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:09 AM
raditz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein MonoFlex or KW V3?

I'm going to change my suspension to a coilover setup. I'm a very spirited driver and prefer a rought feeling than a soft suspension.

I ocassionally race my car on track, and monthly go with other members of the 350Z spanish club to any tricky road.

So what setup do you think will fit better on my driving? I have 2 options in mind Tein MonoFlex with EDFC and KW Variant 3.

I think that Tein will have a mort race feeling, and the EDFC is a point, but KW is a Germany company so they are easiest to found them on Spain.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what tires will you be using? What other suspension mods do you have?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by raditz
I'm going to change my suspension to a coilover setup. I'm a very spirited driver and prefer a rought feeling than a soft suspension.

I ocassionally race my car on track, and monthly go with other members of the 350Z spanish club to any tricky road.

So what setup do you think will fit better on my driving? I have 2 options in mind Tein MonoFlex with EDFC and KW Variant 3.

I think that Tein will have a mort race feeling, and the EDFC is a point, but KW is a Germany company so they are easiest to found them on Spain.
Both coilovers are well liked by their owners. However, in your case reading between the lines I see more reason to avoid the KW setup because it use's progressive springs (especially in the rear where the setup has a wide spread between initial and final rates). Granted the KW3 does give you independent control of compression and rebound dampning, getting that type of control setup right where it's benificial is more difficult then dialing into settings that are not. The Monoflex comes back to offer linear springs and full height adjustment independent of spring preload. And the Monoflex your likely to get won't be a USDM version, so the spring rates would be much lower then what we have here in the US.

But, that doesn't mean that their aren't other setup's to consider. How difficult would it be for you to get Zeal coilovers? Shouldn't be that much more expensive then the Monoflex. HKS Hypermax III also comes to mind.

Tein Mono Flex (USDM or U.S. market) Mono tube construction, adjustable dampners Full-length adjustment allowing for ride height adjustment separate from spring preload.
Spring Rates 784/784
Side Note: Very high spring rates, review's to date do however paint a picture that Tein worked hard on the valving whereas to allow such high rates to work with U.S. road condition's. Setup does use Teins MSV valving http://www.tein.com/msve.html

Tein Mono Flex (JDM or Europe)
Spring rates 560/504
Side Note: Same product specs as USDM version, but with softer spring rates.

KW coilovers Variant 3 Twin Tube construction, adjusts vehicle height via spring preload levels only, separate adjustability for compression damping AND rebound damping .
Spring rates Front 485lbs to 525Lbs Rear: 240Lbs to 548Lbs (progressive springs)
Notes: High progressive rear spring rate spread that cannot be easily fixed because of the mounting diameters of the upper and lower spring seats in the height adjusting system. It still can be fixed, but would require a lot of phone calls and research that most won’t bother with, IMO it’s worth the bother.

Zeal Function XS
Monotube dampenrs, adjustable dampning, full lenghth adjustable allowing for ride height adjustability without effecting spring preload.
Spring rates 560/448 or 672/560
Old 11-20-2007, 10:14 PM
raditz

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
what tires will you be using? What other suspension mods do you have?

At the moment I have no other suspension mod, but I plan changing the sway bars in the near future, maybe at the same time. Do you suggest to make that or any other mod at the same time?

The tires I will use, probably will be the Yokohama A048.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:28 PM
raditz

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Both coilovers are well liked by their owners. However, in your case reading between the lines I see more reason to avoid the KW setup because it use's progressive springs (especially in the rear where the setup has a wide spread between initial and final rates). Granted the KW3 does give you independent control of compression and rebound dampning, getting that type of control setup right where it's benificial is more difficult then dialing into settings that are not. The Monoflex comes back to offer linear springs and full height adjustment independent of spring preload. And the Monoflex your likely to get won't be a USDM version, so the spring rates would be much lower then what we have here in the US.

But, that doesn't mean that their aren't other setup's to consider. How difficult would it be for you to get Zeal coilovers? Shouldn't be that much more expensive then the Monoflex. HKS Hypermax III also comes to mind.

Tein Mono Flex (USDM or U.S. market) Mono tube construction, adjustable dampners Full-length adjustment allowing for ride height adjustment separate from spring preload.
Spring Rates 784/784
Side Note: Very high spring rates, review's to date do however paint a picture that Tein worked hard on the valving whereas to allow such high rates to work with U.S. road condition's. Setup does use Teins MSV valving http://www.tein.com/msve.html

Tein Mono Flex (JDM or Europe)
Spring rates 560/504
Side Note: Same product specs as USDM version, but with softer spring rates.

KW coilovers Variant 3 Twin Tube construction, adjusts vehicle height via spring preload levels only, separate adjustability for compression damping AND rebound damping .
Spring rates Front 485lbs to 525Lbs Rear: 240Lbs to 548Lbs (progressive springs)
Notes: High progressive rear spring rate spread that cannot be easily fixed because of the mounting diameters of the upper and lower spring seats in the height adjusting system. It still can be fixed, but would require a lot of phone calls and research that most won’t bother with, IMO it’s worth the bother.

Zeal Function XS
Monotube dampenrs, adjustable dampning, full lenghth adjustable allowing for ride height adjustability without effecting spring preload.
Spring rates 560/448 or 672/560
So the monoflex has also diferent spring rates at USA than Japan? I thought that only where the Flex... I think that then I'm going for the USA version instead the Japan one, or do you think that would be so radical? I prefer a rought ride than a soft one, but maybe 784 is so much or not?

As you said, what I don't like from the KW is the progressive spring rate.

Thanks a lot for your review
Old 11-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

How could anyone prefer a rough ride? A proper suspension should not be rough - rough riding means you've got the wrong setup for the conditions. This isn't an '88 Lincoln Town Car - so nothing you get is going to ride like that

The US Spec Mono Flex have a very high rate...valved to suit them, but its a very high rate for sure.

Having spent alot of time with the V3, I absolutely love them and don't find the rear progressive spring to be a hinderence at all
Old 11-21-2007, 09:42 PM
raditz

When I said a rought ride I mind that I prefer going to the hard said instead the soft. In my last car (BMW) I installed a Bilstein kit, with progressive spring, and I don't liked the feeling. I know that is a wonderfull setup, but...

So Z1, you think the MonoFlex USA spect are soooo hard?
Old 11-22-2007, 05:14 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by raditz
When I said a rought ride I mind that I prefer going to the hard said instead the soft. In my last car (BMW) I installed a Bilstein kit, with progressive spring, and I don't liked the feeling. I know that is a wonderfull setup, but...

So Z1, you think the MonoFlex USA spect are soooo hard?
The Mono flex I used (US spec) worked well, alot better than the std Flex. But remember, there is more than the spring rate that determines how a coilover "feels" on the road - one of the most important aspects is your tire and tire pressure, since they are part of the overall suspension. Only thing I can suggest is to try and find someone with the V3, and other units, take note of the tires that car has and their pressure,and try them out
Old 07-12-2008, 01:05 PM
D///M

Progressive rate are better if the car is going to be primarily driven on the street
Old 07-14-2008, 06:57 AM
evil_tt
Banned

V3 all the way, much better quality