Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Cutting my Eibach Springs...I know I know but this should work!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:45 AM
yusoslo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting my Eibach Springs...I know I know but this should work!!!

I can't believe I am writing this, but I am super super **** about getting the perfect stance. Well my Eibachs are 99% there but the front needs to be 1/4" lower to suit my needs. Why not coilovers you say??? Well I really like how my Z rides and I have never found a set of progressive rate springs in a coilover. If there was I would buy it.

So.....If I remove my front springs...start at the bottom coil...where it ends and chop off about 1 linear inch of spring. I do not see how it will effect the ride at all. I have the same spring rate up top and downlow. Coil density has not changed. The only difference is the strut will now be compressed 1/4" more than before.

This is a 3-D scaned rendering to scale of what I am talking about!

Old 12-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF is with all these stupid cutting the springs threads. you do realize that by cutting the spring, you not only compromise the integrity of the spring, you also make for a dangerous situation which can result in damage to your car. but whatever, it is your car and if you want to take the cheap way and damage a very important component ofyour suspension, then do it. i will just wait for the inevitable "my suspension feels like crap" or the "i damaged my suspension, and warranty will not cover it" thread that will be posted.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:01 AM
yusoslo

OK, first of all I am not Ghetto! I have plenty of money to do this the right way....but I want a comfortable ride......Show me a coilover setup with progressive rate springs..my Eibachs ride better than stock.

I have a set of 2k coilovers in my garage now. I also have a set of custom built RE-Amenyia coiovers for my RX-7.

So now that that is out of the way, tell me how this will effect ride quality. If at most I am removing 1/5 of 1 coil's overall circumfrence. How can this be damaging...please do tell.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by yusoslo
OK, first of all I am not Ghetto! I have plenty of money to do this the right way....but I want a comfortable ride......Show me a coilover setup with progressive rate springs..my Eibachs ride better than stock.

I have a set of 2k coilovers in my garage now. I also have a set of custom built RE-Amenyia coiovers for my RX-7.

So now that that is out of the way, tell me how this will effect ride quality. If at most I am removing 1/5 of 1 coil's overall circumfrence. How can this be damaging...please do tell.
then if you say you got plenty of money to do it the right way, do so. if you want to spend more money in the long run by compromising the integrity of your suspension because you "think" you know what you are doing, then go ahead. as for damaging, you are going to take a set of springs that are already tuned for lowering a car, cutting a section of that out, all wiht the intention of making it "look lower". that is not only going to damage whatever strut/shock you intend on using, but you can lead to the spring being overstressed and prematurely breaking, therefore causing more damage. and you will not get a "comfortable" ride like you think. but like i said, since you "got the money" and don't care about your car, go ahead and do it the wrong way. just proof that some people that have no clue what they are doing have no business doing things to such a nice car like the Z.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:16 AM
06MagneticZ

I can see Z04's point of view. Seems like you will be changing the spring rate if you take any part out. I wouldnt do it. Then again Im not going to get mad at you if you do Good luck.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:20 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

speaking from exp. I cut the springs on my 02 Z24 Cavalier and it was the biggest mistake of my life so far with cars. well besides me wrecking my 04 Z but STILL. Dont do it man take em off sell them and get like GF210s or sumthing IDK
Old 12-11-2007, 06:33 AM
timmays350

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah I cut a set of springs once, stupid idea, only took a couple inches, but I couldn't cut through it with a saws all so I used a cutting torch, DUMPED my truck it was worthless. don't flame me I was in high school, we all did stupid **** in high school.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:38 AM
yusoslo

OK I knew I was going to get some flaming. I just still havent seen any evidence that loosing 1/5 of 1 coil will effect the spring.

to ZO4.......Spring rate is determined by coil diameter, coil spacing, desity of the material etc...not the lenght of the spring. Do you think that springs come out of a mold??? NO they are extruded and spun and then cut to length and then coated in polyurathane. So if Eibach cut them I can cut them. If I cut a piece of plywood or I cut a peice of Rebar in half...do I comprimes the material? No. The struts are already seeing a 1.2" compression...so is there a magical # that if I go another .2" they will implode??? If Chip Foose cuts Hotchikis springs on his TV show I think the company would throw a **** fit. I see Chip Foose cutting springs all day long.

AS I said before.....show me a height adustable coilver with stock or better ride quality and I WILL buy it. And I doubt there is a progressive rate coilover on the market.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:54 AM
mdracer76
Banned

wrong forum.. I think you need to ask this on a Honda board.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cutting a measure of the dead coils out is one thing, painting a bull's eye on yourself and doing this thread knowing full well the shot's members here will take is totally different. Free country and all but I just don't see that is was a good idea.

Progressive springs ask too big of a vise, why someone would want them on a sports car as a measure to overcome sub par dampning/meek piston stroke is something I'll never get, especially knowing what things are like when you don't have those issues. Kw V1, 2 and 3 coilovers have the progressive springs your fond of. Figure out how to run helper springs on the front of Bilstein Pss and Pss9 coilovers and you can have progressive springs their as well.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Gsedan35

Oh and by going lower your going to contract the bump stops more frequently in every day and while cornering get into them sooner. Not a up move.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:10 AM
yusoslo

-I will look into the KW coilovers.
-I don't mind the flaming...but making comments that have no explination is what gets me, but I know you have to take the idots with the people that know what they are talking about. They didnt ask for my IQ when I signed up for this board....so who knows what Z04's level of knowledge really is...or anyones for that matter

-I have this pretty logical thought process. My 350Z is a sports car...it is my daily driver....I race it on the weekends twice a month. So 90% of its life if commuting. I can sacrifice .2 of a second at the track so that I can comfortably enjoy my car 90% of the time. Makes sense?
Old 12-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Gsedan35

You should realize it's not just a E.T. numbers issue. At the limit behavior and overall car feel is compromised to varies degree's totally dependent on the spreads between initial and final rates and at what point in travel you suddenly change rate. Though it should be said that the front progressive springs on the KW coilovers are a tapered design and will not change rate suddenly, not to mention that their rate spread is really small. Get the dampning right and shock travel right and you don't have to do the compromise.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-I have this pretty logical thought process. My 350Z is a sports car...it is my daily driver....I race it on the weekends twice a month. So 90% of its life if commuting. I can sacrifice .2 of a second at the track so that I can comfortably enjoy my car 90% of the time. Makes sense?
How is this possible since you just got your Z?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:01 AM
yusoslo

Well I have owned it for 4 weeks, and auto-x it twice. Now there is a season break until feb....then its back to every other weekend.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:07 PM
rickyislaZy

Don't do it man!
Just don't.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:42 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When did 350z's turn into civics? If you want the front of your car being 1/4" lower, just put a fat chick next to you. I'm sure that'll drop it down a bit.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:19 PM
yusoslo

very humorous.
I still don't think it ricerish. So whatever to the Civic comments...and BTW 99% of us have had a civic at one point.
I am just going to beat a dead hoarse over this...it isnt like I am heating up stock springs, or chopping off 2 coils of the stock spring.
Who here that has chimed in has an engineering degree? No ok then. I am well knowledged in mechanical engineer since I have a Master's in it, so someone show me PROOF.

I want PROOF instead of BS its ghetto to cut/tailor your springs.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:13 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

very humorous.
I still don't think it ricerish. So whatever to the Civic comments...and BTW 99% of us have had a civic at one point.
I am just going to beat a dead hoarse over this...it isnt like I am heating up stock springs, or chopping off 2 coils of the stock spring.
Who here that has chimed in has an engineering degree? No ok then. I am well knowledged in mechanical engineer since I have a Master's in it, so someone show me PROOF.

Why don't you buy a different brand of springs that are a little lower? The only reason why people are against it is once you cut the spring, the properties change. The tensile strength will change because you are altering it's values based on the load you are applying. I don't have a degree in engineering, but I do have years of experience with springs, shocks, and suspension pieces and I know cutting springs will definitely change the characteristics of the spring, spring rate, and it's properties.

There are many coilovers that are comfortable and will drop almost the same amount. Tein has a CS version which is pretty soft but also a coilover setup, you might want to look into it.

I still think my fat chick idea will work.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Z04

OK I knew I was going to get some flaming. I just still havent seen any evidence that loosing 1/5 of 1 coil will effect the spring.

to ZO4.......Spring rate is determined by coil diameter, coil spacing, desity of the material etc...not the lenght of the spring. Do you think that springs come out of a mold??? NO they are extruded and spun and then cut to length and then coated in polyurathane. So if Eibach cut them I can cut them. If I cut a piece of plywood or I cut a peice of Rebar in half...do I comprimes the material? No. The struts are already seeing a 1.2" compression...so is there a magical # that if I go another .2" they will implode??? If Chip Foose cuts Hotchikis springs on his TV show I think the company would throw a **** fit. I see Chip Foose cutting springs all day long.

AS I said before.....show me a height adustable coilver with stock or better ride quality and I WILL buy it. And I doubt there is a progressive rate coilover on the market.
but what you fail to understand is that the length of the coil that Eibach makes is already determined for a particular set up.

as for you progressive spring coilover, here is a few:

Bilstein PSS and PSS9
KW Variants
H&R coilovers

very humorous.

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/suspe...vs_cutting.htm

Quick Reply: Cutting my Eibach Springs...I know I know but this should work!!!