Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brakeline replacement WTF!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 07:51 PM
supra crazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakeline replacement WTF!?

Ok so today I went and installed some Stainless brake lines on the Z. The install went smoothly and I did both the front and rear I then bleed the system... The old for the first time in the car since I had it (57000miles) anyways this want my first time bleeding brake but my first on a Car with ABS so im not sure if there is some special way to to id but we got all the air out of the lines and the pedel seemed firm while pumping but as soon as you as you let it sit for any amount of time the pedal gets soft as hell and the brakes dont work unless you pump it...Is there any special thing I'm missing out on like a special brake bleeding procedure?

I followed this one http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...edbrakes.shtml which is the way I always do it.

What am I not doing could it be that i let the system drain too much fluid while the lines where off? IDK please help
Old 12-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

you could try a special way it takes forever but it works very well. loosen the bleeder put your finger over it and have someone push the brakes down slow, at the same time let your finger float and some of the fluid come out you will feel the air bubbles flow out. When a few come out tell your buddy to let off the brakes as you reapply pressure on the bleeder with your finger to give the master cyl. time to recover. Do this to every caliper and be sure the system never runs out of fluid. If that doesnt work have someone pump up the pedal while hitting the caliper with your hand or a rubber hammer to help the air bubbles float to the top and tell them to hold pressure on the pedal while you open the bleeder for a breif moment to let the air and fluid out. If that doesnt work your only other real option is gravity bleed the system, open all the bleeders put buckets under all the calipers and constantly top off the fluid at the master. when about 2 bottles of brake fluid have gone through the system, close all bleeders.

Last edited by Jarred@Z1; 12-30-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:49 PM
supra crazy

Originally Posted by Jarred@Z1
you could try a special way it takes forever but it works very well. loosen the bleeder put your finger over it and have someone push the brakes down slow, at the same time let your finger float and some of the fluid come out you will feel the air bubbles flow out. When a few come out tell your buddy to let off the brakes as you reapply pressure on the bleeder with your finger to give the master cyl. time to recover. Do this to every caliper and be sure the system never runs out of fluid. If that doesnt work have someone pump up the pedal while hitting the caliper with your hand or a rubber hammer to help the air bubbles float to the top and tell them to hold pressure on the pedal while you open the bleeder for a breif moment to let the air and fluid out. If that doesnt work your only other real option is gravity bleed the system, open all the bleeders put buckets under all the calipers and constantly top off the fluid at the master. when about 2 bottles of brake fluid have gone through the system, close all bleeders.

Thanks... I'll try gravity bleeding it then. I did the whole banging the caliper to get air out and nothing happened I was considering driving to a tire shop and having them look at it, I think they have a machine that does it.... but driving down the street having to pump the brakes to stop had me scared as **** so I'll try gravity bleeding tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:11 PM
supra crazy

Ok i tried the gravity thing for like 3 hours today and a shitload of bubbles where coming from the front calipers non from the rear... but after 3 hours of doing that it got really annoying is there a faster way of doing this?
Old 12-31-2007, 03:21 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do you have stock brembos?
Old 01-01-2008, 05:30 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you kept checking the master cylinder to make sure you never ran out of fluid, right? Once you start bleeding, the fluid will go fast and you have to keep topping it off all the time.

I know this probably does not help you now but I always buy speed bleeders when I am planning to change fluid. It makes the job x100 easier and you waste less fluid.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

You could try taking it somewhere that has a pressure bleeder our you could get one. they arent too expensive i think Z1 Peformance has them they are a vender on here they could set you up with one. If not there really is not a faster way i did stainless lines on my brembos and i was sure i did them fast so the fluid didnt leak out and it would take me hours to bleed them.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:54 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are these the lines I sold you? Anyway get a motive brake bleeder or follow factory manual which is
1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2. Connect a vinyl tube to the rear left air bleeder.
3. Fully depress brake pedal 4 to 5 times.
4. With the brake pedal depressed, loosen the air bleeder to let the air out, and then tighten it immediately.
5. Repeat steps 3, 4 until no more air comes out.
6. Tighten the air bleeder to the specified torque. Refer to BR-25, "Components" ,BR-31, "Component" ,BR-
38, "Components" ,BR-44, "Components" .
7. In steps 2 to 6 below, with the master cylinder reservoir tank filled at least half way, bleed air from the front
right, rear right, and front left tires, in that order.

You have monster air bubble and they are hard as hell to get out of these cars. take some vinyl clear hose long enough to match the resevoir in height and put it on a bleeder, then open the bleeder and let it run up the hose. But I bought a motive bleeder did it that way and then started the car and went around and bled all four wheels the old fashioned way. I am still hunting down a bubble. good luck and pm me if you want.