Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Hawk Hps street compound squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 05:12 AM
vfr350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk Hps street compound squeal?

Ok, so 2400 miles on my z, could not stand the brake dust anymore so i swapped in a set of Hawk Hps Street pads in the front. Now my brakes squeal loud and its really annoying, anybody else have similar issue or have a trick to fix this? This is on a non-brembo set up.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:56 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do they squeal under any amount of pressure on the brake pedal, or just under light pressure with the squeal going away when you get harder on the brakes? Some of the more aggressive pads squeal under light pressure or when they're cold.

Did you put anti-squeal grease on the shims when you put the pads on?

Gary
Old 06-22-2003, 06:04 AM
vfr350

Mostly under light to medium pressure. A hard stop does not have a squeal. The pads themselves came with backing pads already installed, although i did reattach the stock shim that was on the piston side of the caliper. Sounds like my drive to work is to short and they might never warm up enough.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:33 PM
Flyingscot

I tried a set of Carbotech Panther Plus pads and eventually removed them due to constant squeal when turning and light braking. I still plan to use them for the Track.

I miss the extra bite but don't miss the squeal. It was embarrassing.

Fly
Old 06-23-2003, 09:33 AM
D_Nyholm

Did you forget to put the Dick Brake Quiet on them???? That could be the cause of your whole problem.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:55 AM
vfr350

Isn't that only for pads that don't have the self-adhesive backing pads? I was unaware that you need to use both, is that the case?
Old 06-24-2003, 09:32 AM
D_Nyholm

Well, I use it all the time no matter what. I have never had a pad sqeal on me yet. A lot of times I forget to put the backing on and use just the stop squeak and I still never get a squeal.

I did once forget to put on the stop squeak and the brakes sounded horrible. I tried to take them back off, clean them, and apply the stop squeak, but it never full cured the problem. The only time they stopped squeaking was when I replaced them again and put them on correctly.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:20 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're using the shim cover for the inboard pads where the piston contacts the brake pad, then I would definitely put anti-squeal between the shim cover and the integrated shim. It can't hurt, and it may help fix your problem. Good luck!

Gary
Old 06-24-2003, 10:55 AM
vfr350

I did use the stock shim back on the caliper side, but i did not use any stop sqeal on this, good call, that could be the issue. i will try to get some and give it a try. keep my fingers crossed cause they stop great!
Old 07-01-2003, 04:36 AM
MaddMatt

I tried a set of Carbotech Panther Plus pads and eventually removed them due to constant squeal when turning and light braking.
Those were our track/race pads, not our street pad.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:37 PM
BillR

Originally posted by D_Nyholm
Well, I use it all the time no matter what. I have never had a pad sqeal on me yet. A lot of times I forget to put the backing on and use just the stop squeak and I still never get a squeal.

I did once forget to put on the stop squeak and the brakes sounded horrible. I tried to take them back off, clean them, and apply the stop squeak, but it never full cured the problem. The only time they stopped squeaking was when I replaced them again and put them on correctly.
Whoa,
Clue me in on this some more. My HPS pads do the same type of squeel, but I prefer that to brake dust.
But if there is something I can add/apply to stop the squeel, please inform me.
LOTS of detail please.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 07-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by MaddMatt
Those were our track/race pads, not our street pad.
Oops! My mistake!

BTW, I have to withdraw my earlier statement about the Carbotechs as the damn stock pads are now squealing. I guess it's time to investigate the problem.

Fly

Last edited by Flyingscot; 07-02-2003 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:20 PM
DZeckhausen

Most squealing problems can be cured by properly bedding in the pads. Please follow the instructions here: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm and then post the results, even if they are bad. I'm willing to bet that, in most cases, the squealing will vanish.

If you're really after dust elimination, than the Hawk HPS may not be your best pad. You might want to consider the Axxis Deluxe Plus, which is a virtually dust free pad.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:33 AM
vfr350

HUH? Bleeding the brakes???? Thats a new one. So far these pads have been dustfree, they get dirty about as fast as the back wheels.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:43 PM
vfr350

ok, so just an FYI, went to put some squeal stop on my pads, found 2 litlle chucks missing a pad on the right side, hmmmmm, anyway, i smoothed over the edges with some sand paper, put squeal stop on all the pads including the shim on the piston side let them set over night, and whoolaa, no more squeal. No need to bleed! , thanks for the suggestion with the squeal stop, worth the $3 for it. Now i am happy with the pads, dust and noise is minimal.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:34 AM
DZeckhausen

Originally posted by vfr350
HUH? Bleeding the brakes???? Thats a new one. So far these pads have been dustfree, they get dirty about as fast as the back wheels.
That was BEDDING the pads, not bleeding the calipers. Typically, bedding the pads will reduce or eliminate squeals without having to take anything apart.

The Squeal Stop got rid of your noise and that's obviously a good thing. It did this by damping out the high frequency vibration of your pads in the caliper frame. What you did, however, was to cure a SYMPTOM of a different problem, which was that the pads and rotors needed to be bedded. Properly bedded pads rarely need to have any rubbery goop added to the back to damp out vibration. (This depends, to a large extent, on the pad compound. I'm talking about street pads here.) The next time you get a squeal at low speeds under light braking (after making sure your pads aren't worn toi the metal backing plates!) try a little experiment and follow the bedding procedure. See if it doesn't make the noise go away without having to mess around with taking your brakes apart.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:32 PM
vfr350

My bad, should read more. Will see how the chunks missing plays out.