Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brake Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:45 PM
hockiman90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Recommendations?

I just did my first track day yesterday at summit point in wv and my rear rotors are warped, my rear pads i think are glazed and not too sure how the fronts are doin.....i just had the rotors replaced june of last year and this is my first track event the car doesnt shudder stopping on the road like it did on the track under heavy braking so im not in a huge rush to replace them but im curious to know your recommendations for some new rotors and/or pads.....i have a very low budget seeing as im 18 and have to pay for the car myself so those $3000 brembo BBK's arent an option lol, ill be doing it all myself so no need for labor prices.....im planning on going to one or two more HPDE's this summer but everything else will be just daily driving thanks for the recommendations
Old 05-01-2008, 04:42 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rotors don't warp. You have an uneven deposit of brake pad material on your rotor which causes the pad to grab more in that one particular area due to the increased friction. Try rebedding your pads and rotors. That should work. and take a cool down lap at the track after your last lap, and NEVER use the parking brake in the paddock. Big no no .

JET
Old 05-01-2008, 08:18 PM
hockiman90

you sure they dont warp cuz the set that was on the car when i got it were warped real bad....and im positive they were warped cuz i set them down on the table of a milling machine which is perfectly flat and they wobbled they didnt sit flat and nothing was beneath them so if thats not warped i dont know what you would call it? but tomorrow im taking a look with the wheels off when i bleed the brakes
Old 05-01-2008, 08:27 PM
hockiman90

and i was also positive to make sure each lap was a cool down lap cuz my instructor just so happened to be my dad who has been racing a 1974 porsche 914-6 since he was my age
Old 05-04-2008, 02:45 AM
stuntman

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Rotors don't warp. You have an uneven deposit of brake pad material on your rotor which causes the pad to grab more in that one particular area due to the increased friction. Try rebedding your pads and rotors. That should work. and take a cool down lap at the track after your last lap, and NEVER use the parking brake in the paddock. Big no no .

JET
+1 to an extent.

What pads are you running?

Most likely is uneven pad deposits. Make sure to do a cooldown, NEVER apply your e-brake while in the pits, and I like to roll my car 180* rotation on the wheel/rotor after a few minutes so the caliper and pad dosnt heat soak one small portion of the rotor (i know its excessive)

another problem could be your brake application and release characteristics from you as a driver..

Old 05-04-2008, 05:49 AM
hockiman90

ok thanks for the advice ill try to do better next time at the track but i have been doing some research and it is quite common for the stock brakes to give you problems and according to the inspection i had to get a year ago my stock rear rotors were really close to the minimum thickness and the wear indicator on my rear pads is grinding so i have to get new pads and the rotors are too thin to turn so i think im goin to end up gettin a stoptech stage 2 slotted rotor upgrade kit, thanks for all your input
Old 05-04-2008, 06:28 AM
manbeer

Rotors do indeed warp, i've seen it happen quite often when people hit a puddle after hard braking. We would send hundreds of pounds of otherwise good rotors away with the scrap man each week because of it