Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Installed Brembo BBK on front but what do I do......

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:16 PM
robmc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Brembo BBK on front but what do I do......

I installed the 14" drilled Brembo BBK on my fronts but now what do I do for the rears? I caled Brembo and they said that they won't be making a rear to complement the fronts. I knew at the time I installed the fronts that there wasn't a rear out yet but I ws told one would be coming.
I have the non-brembo rears and its starting to bug me that the fronts look amazing and then I have these crappy rears. Should I look on e-bay for a OEM Brembo rear set and then paint them to match as I'm assuming they only came in orange, correct? Or are there other options?

yes yes I should of gone with Stop Tech..... but the shop who installed my Vortch SC only dealt with Brembo plus I'm not into looks (or so I though at the time) as I do drive the car on the track 6-8 times a year and would like to have a slight upgrade on the rears.

Last edited by robmc9; 05-03-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:23 PM
ecorona6

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Install stock Brembo's and powder coat them the match the fronts!
Old 05-03-2008, 12:32 PM
thinking

Originally Posted by robmc9
I installed the 15" drilled Brembo BBK...
15" rotors... any pics?
I knew they made a 14" (355mm) BBK for the Z; was not aware of a 15" kit.
Curious...
Old 05-03-2008, 01:09 PM
saberphx

Originally Posted by thinking
15" rotors... any pics?
I knew they made a 14" (355mm) BBK for the Z; was not aware of a 15" kit.
Curious...
+1
Old 05-03-2008, 01:25 PM
got556

+1 to all above...and why do you need/want 15" rears? Just go w/ a regular rear kit from them and call it a day.

Why size wheels are you running to tuck 15" rotors w/ calipers behind them?
Old 05-03-2008, 02:59 PM
robmc9

my bad, 14" : ) I'd like t think I was special but I'm not.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:02 PM
robmc9

If anyone is out there with a set of rear OEM Brembo's I'd sure be interseted in buying them. What do shops do when they take them off a car they're upgrading to? I'm assuming they keep them as the shop I used didn't give me my old ones back.
I tried posting in the classifieds but it wouldn't allow me to.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Catchmeifyoucan
Banned

i've had 14 inch Brembo GT w/ stock non-brembo rear brake for almost 2 years... love love it.
it's design w/ non-brembo rear brake.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:43 PM
robmc9

But wouldn't OEM Brembo's on the back make it even better?
Old 05-03-2008, 06:00 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you plan on doing with this car? Are you going to be driving it on the track? If your going to be tracking the car then the OEM rear brembo's would be a necessity.

JET
Old 05-03-2008, 07:54 PM
robmc9

I agree but someone somewhere out there must have a set kicking around collecting dust. With all of these upgrades to BBK someone must have a set of used rears that they'd like to get a couplke bucks for, don't you think?
Old 05-04-2008, 06:04 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I agree but someone somewhere out there must have a set kicking around collecting dust. With all of these upgrades to BBK someone must have a set of used rears that they'd like to get a couplke bucks for, don't you think?
I think you will be hard pressed to find a set of rears alone.

Your best bet may be to try the junk yards. When I picked up my full oem brembo brakes, I called around and found several places that had them lying around waiting. However, they knew what they had and charged pretty steep prices.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:38 AM
robmc9

what did you pay for a full set from the junk yard?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:09 AM
XM 1

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

get yourself some stock rear brembos, powdercoat them to match color, get some new (aftermarket) brake pads + slotted or drilled rotors, stainless brake lines and you´ll be fine
Old 05-04-2008, 10:11 AM
SteveZ

I installed the 14" drilled Brembo BBK on my fronts but now what do I do for the rears? I caled Brembo and they said that they won't be making a rear to complement the fronts. I knew at the time I installed the fronts that there wasn't a rear out yet but I ws told one would be coming.
I have the non-brembo rears and its starting to bug me that the fronts look amazing and then I have these crappy rears. Should I look on e-bay for a OEM Brembo rear set and then paint them to match as I'm assuming they only came in orange, correct? Or are there other options?

yes yes I should of gone with Stop Tech..... but the shop who installed my Vortch SC only dealt with Brembo plus I'm not into looks (or so I though at the time) as I do drive the car on the track 6-8 times a year and would like to have a slight upgrade on the rears.
Find a set of rears OEM FS from a 2004 G Coupe or a Track 350Z (or even Touring, one or more MY I think). I see them for sale time to time, although people usually ask a lot more than they're worth.

They're gold OEM, it's an exact match for an Acura paint color commonly used to touch up chips.

Other issue is what happens with your EBD, Electronic Brake Distribution system - which is tied into the TCS/ABS & VDC if you have it. You don't have the prior balance F to R, all the more reason to get closer to a matched set. Right now you'll shift to even more front bias as more boost up front will have more effect than OEM brakes. If you don't have all that crap, nevermind

Find yourself a used set of these, paint them if you have to, the rotors come with new stickers generally, too. I'm a little OCD but having tracked my OEM brakes on my Base Model Z, they're weak and too prone to overheating pads and fluid (esp. the latter).

Old 05-04-2008, 10:21 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by Ahsmo

Your best bet may be to try the junk yards. When I picked up my full oem brembo brakes, I called around and found several places that had them lying around waiting. However, they knew what they had and charged pretty steep prices.
You might do better to pick up a set of all 4, then re-sell the fronts. A set went from a 2004 G Coupe not too long ago either here or G35Driver, for under $2k for all 4 corners, with pads but w/o rotors. That's a lot easier because you can then turn around the fronts and sell them to recoup your costs. Rotors the guy selling said "too heavy to ship for the cost" and they needed to be turned anyway.

Check Subie forums, too - for some reason STi drivers seem to think Brembos are not enough, either, so they swap all 4 out for something else. The rears will probably be a close match.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:45 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by Ahsmo

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes/356262-fs-03-track-brembos.html

Buy a set of 4 and dump the fronts.

FS complete set from Track 350Z, just sold for $1500. Probably could turn around and sell the fronts for $1000, $500 is a lot for rears, but nowhere near what you might pay new.