Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

installing Nismo pads on my Grand Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 06:37 AM
Greddytwin350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing Nismo pads on my Grand Touring

I have bought new Nismo brake pads to install on my brembo equiped car. My car only has 6100 miles on it. Now for the questions. I have never changed pads on a caliper with more than 1 piston in it. Will the pistons go back far enough on there own to install the new pads and go over the rotor? Or will I need to push the pistons back for the clearance? If so will a simple brake tool (snapon that screws against a pad to push it back) that I normally use do the job, or is there something better? Will I have to have anything done to the rotors (its only got 6100 miles on it)? And the last question, the new pads didnt come with any shims or anything. Should I reuse any shims that might be on the brakes now? Thanks for any info! Robert
Old 07-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Blazemaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the OEM brembos, but on my 04 standard brakes, you have to just push the pistons in after calipers are removed from the rotors. The pistons will self adjust as the brake pads wear thinner and thinner, so it will be fairly far out when the pads are badly worn. If your car has that low of milage on it, the pistons shouldn't be sticking out that far. You should have a compressing tool (one that uses a screw to help with compressing) just in case that the pistons are hard to push in. Also make sure you have some brake cleaner to help you remove some of the brake dust near the pistons, so you don't end up pushing the debris in as well. You should also bleed a lil bit of the brake fluid, to make it easier to push the pistons back in. Your rotors should have plenty life left at only 6k miles. If your Nismo pads don't come with shims, then reuse the ones that are currently on your OEM pads. There's a DIY on this subject in the DIY section with pictures, just in case I wasn't clear enough.

Be careful with the brake cleaner and brake fluid, I am not sure which one, but one of them are known to eat away the exterior paint, so be careful not to get it on your car while using it. Refill the brake fluid cylinder with fresh brake fluid after you bled each of the calipers.

Last edited by Blazemaster; 07-05-2008 at 03:04 PM.