Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Drag suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Bwicked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag suspension

Alrighty guys hoping I can get some insight from those of you running great times and know how suspension affects the car for DRAG racing, NOT autox.

I just purchased a set of Tokico D-spec Shocks and I'd like to know what springs to match them with for the best solution for the drag strip. I'm really considering going with a custom spring setup from SWIFT or Eibach. If anyone knows exactly what spring rate and height etc.... I should order to best suit my needs let me know PLEASE. I was going to go with coilovers but noticed alot of them are to stiff for drag racing. Please input on what springs/ rates to order to match the tokicos.
---------------------------------------------------

Differential bushings ( front and rear) Other then being stronger then stock, are they worth $230 for the pair? ( F+ R) Do they make a good difference down the drag strip or possibly lowering the times a few tenths or tenth?

----------------------------------------------------

Sway bars- I heard that for drag racing it would be best to remove one end of the front sway bar from the end link or the whole front sway in general. Any info on this?

MY main concern for this thread is to achieve lower 1/4 times for the Drag strip. N finding out which springs would benefit my intentions and setup most. I already have Aftermarket sways as well.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:34 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget to take as much rear wheel camber out as you feel comfortable removing. I don't know if this is a dual purpose car that's going to be driven on the road.

The sway bars should be removed for weight reduction. You don't need them going in a straight line and disconecting them won't do a thing.

Get the softest rear spring you can to fascilitate weight transfer to the rear. unless you put the shock on a shock dyno it's impossible to spec a spring for the valving.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Bwicked

When you say remove as much camber as possible... how do I go about doing that? Do I need to buy aftermarket camber arms? Is it something I can do myself? if so how do I adjust or know when to stop? This car is a Daily driver. It rides on 19's but on 16's for the track. I knwo for a fact the 19's sit like this // \\ cuz i notice the wear on the previous tires pretty bad. not sure how its affecting the 16's.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:44 PM
got556

Yep most true drag setups have a 90/10 spring rate. Also reason for removing the front sway (at least....should remove rear to lose weight) is to allow the rear to plant more, giving the front some lift.

Remember though...all this stuff doesn't help at all if you don't have sticky tires. JMO, but I'd get the tires first w/ a set of welds (3.5" up front) and (10.5" in the rear) and run something like a 285 or so in the rear (MT, Hoosier, etc). Then see how bad your wheel hop is, if you're spinning at all, what your 60 times are, what your trap speed is, etc.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Bwicked

No wheel hop whatsoever. I have a set of Dedicated Hoosiers for the track so no worry there. my 60 ft's are 1.7 on avg.

so by going fot the 90/10 spring rate, which springs would you recommend? From what I've seen hotchkis seem like a good choice?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:03 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The camber can be adjusted by an alignment shop.

But none of the above mentioned is really applicable to a daily driven car. Your not going to wantto run those psing rates on the street, you don't want to run 0 camber, and your not going to want to remove the sway bars.

Go witthhe lowest spring rate you can find i nthe rear. It won't be a drag racing spring, but it's the biggest trade off for a street driven car your going to want to make.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Bwicked

so 0 camber seting on the street in bad?

also do those GT spec or tanabe braces under the car benefit the drag strip? thanks
Old 07-06-2008, 10:03 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Stock 03/04 rear spring or custom would be what you want. You don't want to use normal aftermarket springs, lowering your car will effect the weight transfer.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Bwicked

280 ~460 rear
219~420 -front
Those r the rates for swift spec r springs (progressive) or should I go for the hotchkis linear springs I believe r 340 rear n 320 front. Which is a better set for drag racing n paired up with tokico dspecs? Thx
Old 07-12-2008, 08:46 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwicked
This car is a Daily driver.
And there is your problem.

There are several dedicated drag racing 350Zs here (shop cars) that, of course, are not on the street. Any drag racing enhancement (transmission, rear axle, spring rates, alignment, fuel cell, line brakes, weight reduction) is going to make the car precarious on the street.