Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stop Tech dilemma!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:42 AM
XM 1

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Exclamation Stop Tech dilemma!!

as some of you know i managed to get my hands on a stop tech bbk.
first of all, the quality of the entire set was......not that good. (scratched rotors, calipers, one banjo bolt had the wrong diameter.....)

after installing the kit the yesterday, and driving around a little bit (just around the block, without braking to much), i thouhgt it was a "good" day
for a real test drive/bed-in drive.and so i did. after approx. 4 "normal" stops(and no the pads didnīt hit the disk while standing) i thought it was time to bed the pads abd disk in. so i performed as state in the stop tech instruction 8 (ok i know i should be 10) "stops" from 100 km/h to letīs say 20 km/h (with a good "force". i think the telling you not to fully lock the brake but push it 70-80% of full brake power).
after the 5th or 6th stop i smelled the brake.ok after the 8th stop i drove around as much as i could without using the brake at all(like 10min.) then i performed another 10 near stops.and drove around for about 15 min. without using the brake.

then i went to gas station to refill the car.i took a look at the calipers to see if there was any kind of brake fluid or leeks.and hell yeah there was brake fluid. it was on all 4 wheels (but more in the back than in the front).there were 2 lines (appr. 1cm long) of brake fluid on the inside of the rim. so i drove asap home to remove the hole brake fluid.i did this and took a look at the caliper but couldnīt find a leek or something.so i cleaned everything up.and then i noticed the there was brake fluid (hard to describe) on the inside of the caliper right where the brake disc comes out of the caliper.

awesome!!!!!so any ideas what could occured this??? iīm not quiet sure if brake fluid is on the disks or not, or even on the brake pads.
what could i do if so?

PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!

iīll remove the wheel later that day to have a closer look on this major problem.

you know guys after all the mods iīve done to my car, the moment where iīm willing to sell it comes more closer and closer.
itīs like hey cool after 4months of waiting my bbk came in......and then itīs like hey coool another major problem or hey another part which wonīt fit or hey cool that was quiet a simple installation letīs take it for a test drive and than something like this happens.iīm really pissed right at the moment.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:05 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,029 Likes on 786 Posts

this was a new kit?
Old 08-07-2008, 04:30 AM
SchismX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm...if there is fluid on the inside of the caliper where it contacts the disk, makes me think that maybe the seals around the pistons blew?? Remove the calipers and the pads, then inspect the pistons.

Last edited by SchismX; 08-07-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:17 AM
chopperman

Originally Posted by Zman636
Hmm...if there is fluid on the inside of the caliper where it contacts the disk, makes me think that maybe the seals around the pistons blew?? Remove the calipers and the pads, then inspect the pistons.

+1 sounds like the problem
Old 08-07-2008, 05:46 AM
XM 1

yeah it was a brand new kit!!!

how could the piston seal blow???i would say on one caliper....ok....but all 4?????
Old 08-07-2008, 07:39 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Pics are priceless if you can provide them. I installed my Stoptechs all the way around and had no problems.

Please do not take this as an insult, but how mechanically inclined are you? Perhaps it was a bad install that led to the malfunction? Again, try and snap some photos so we can see.....

EDIT:Nevermind what I said about being mechanically inclined. I just read your other post. You seem to know what your doing. What about that banjo bolt you used? Is this the caliper that is leaking?

https://my350z.com/forum/6143487-post9.html

Last edited by VO...; 08-07-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:08 AM
XM 1

thx vo7848 for the kind words
no itīs not the the calipers where i used the other banjo bolts.itīs kind a wierd.all 4 are draining fluid....the rears more than the fronts(which is even more strange, since the breaking balance is more to the front instead of the rear!?!?!?). since itīs start to rain i canīt provide you pics or even look for the failure.itīs kind of disapointing.....you safe a lot of money wait 4 months for your bbk to come and in the end you get f+#ked up

Last edited by XM 1; 08-07-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:28 AM
XM 1

i completly forgot to mention about the front driver brake disk...it seems like itīs more "blue" than the other ones. i managed to take some pics.maybe you could see anything (cell phone, flas light in the garage since itīs raining outside).so here we go:
first one of the rear disk but all others look similliar to this_:

now some of the front...you could see a "blue" strip on the other portion of the disk:

isnīt a "blue" tinted brake disk done??? thatīs what i learned about brake disks....if theyīre blue u could through them away.but the installation instruction of stop tech mentions: "After the bed-in cycle is finished, there will be a blue tint on the rotor, with a light gray film on the rotor face...."
Old 08-07-2008, 09:17 AM
VO...
Administrator

The blue on these rotors is ok. It's part of the film left over from the pads as the "bedding" process takes place.

There are times however on stock rotors, that they will turn blue. I forget what the technical term is, but yes it would mean you'd have to replace them. It happens when the rotor is overheated. In this case, you have a Stoptech BBK that is designed to handle high temps and cool off rapidly. The "bedding" process alone would not ruin the rotors.

Try and take some pics once it stops raining....
Old 08-07-2008, 11:23 AM
XM 1

"thermal shocking" is the technical term

yes of course they shouldnīt be ruined,....hopefully
Old 08-07-2008, 02:09 PM
StopTechErik
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont work for StopTech anymore but thought Id chime in. What you are likely seeing is the rust inhibitor that is applied to the rotors slinging out onto your wheels from the internal vane area. It should be quite thick and sticky compared to brake fluid which is more watery.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:28 AM
XM 1

yeah it was kind a thick but had the same color like the brake fluid...yellow...??? how much pressure should be applied to the pedal when you do bed-in ?(for the first time) and iīve got another question for you erik

since itīs a 2 piece rotor could you still "thermal shock" it??? i know that if that happens to a "1 piece" rotor itīs gone, but i read that itīs not that dramatic for 2 piece rotors
Old 08-08-2008, 02:29 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First.... relax and inhale deeply... now exhale.

These are racing brakes. You couldn't get these brakes hot enough on the street with street compound tires and street speeds to do any damage to any part of the brake system.

I have 670hp and slow my car from 175mph on the racetrack and have never had any damage to my brake system nor have I ever heard of anyone having any issues with Stoptech brakes under racing conditions let alone street driving.

I don't understand what a few scratches has to do with the quality of the kit. If the damage wasn't done during shipping then call Stoptech and complain. If it's shipping damage then call the shipping company. I know they package their brake kits very well.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:40 AM
XM 1

it wasnīt damaged during shipping.....but i could life with these scratches.but since iīm a "manager" of quality lab myself i see the hole quality thing a little bit different btw 2 rotors werenīt properly packaged or someone opend it?????kind a strange to me.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:44 AM
roast

Tell me you cleaned the cosmoline off the rotors with brake cleaner before installing the rotors?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:10 AM
XM 1

jap did it.....as it was mentioned in the installation sheet
Old 08-08-2008, 08:41 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
First.... relax and inhale deeply... now exhale.

These are racing brakes. You couldn't get these brakes hot enough on the street with street compound tires and street speeds to do any damage to any part of the brake system.
+1
Old 08-08-2008, 10:57 AM
XM 1

itīs still raining took some pics while it stoped but the caem out very blury ...talked wiht my dad and he also thinks that itīs ok (heīs the real pro in our "team" )
Old 08-08-2008, 11:40 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by XM 1
my dad and he also thinks that itīs ok (heīs the real pro in our "team" )
Now the truth comes out. He did the install. You held the flashlight...
Old 08-08-2008, 04:24 PM
XM 1

NOOOOOO!!! it was the opposite i def. learned most of the things i know about cars from him......but i do all my installs on my own f+#ing rain i want to check if everything is ok with the calipers

could it be that the calipers "expand" a little bit due to the "massive" heat (for the first time), which lead to the leaking?? or is it really the rotor rust inhibitor?

Quick Reply: Stop Tech dilemma!!