Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

New Rims and needing to be lowered

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:49 AM
THe Emperor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Not everyone needs coilovers. The driver never stated what he uses his car for, he might not even need coilovers. Springs are just fine for someone who wants to drop their car for a better look and better handling that uses their car for a DD and occasional track day. A good set of springs and shocks easily gets the jobs done only difference in coilovers is the adjustablity that many won't need or use.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Thermal1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah valid point...except you won't really be saving any money. There is not much price difference between a decent set of shocks/springs and a set of entry coilovers. I would rather spend a little more to gain the ability to adjust height and dampening. I rarely adjust my height and dampening, but that is because I set it how I want it...which I could not have done with shocks/springs.

I also wanted to go lower than most of the springs for the Z would let me. I might have considered Eibach sportlines - but I had sportlines on my 240sx for a while and I hated them.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:24 AM
THe Emperor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apothyosis
Yeah valid point...except you won't really be saving any money. There is not much price difference between a decent set of shocks/springs and a set of entry coilovers. I would rather spend a little more to gain the ability to adjust height and dampening. I rarely adjust my height and dampening, but that is because I set it how I want it...which I could not have done with shocks/springs.

I also wanted to go lower than most of the springs for the Z would let me. I might have considered Eibach sportlines - but I had sportlines on my 240sx for a while and I hated them.
I see what you're saying. If I did alittle more spirited driving I would probably be interested in coilovers too. For me my Z is a DD and I work 7 miles from home and it's mostly highway driving and in the city, so for a person like me who'll probably never use or care about the adjustablilty at all they may not want to spend the extra money on coilovers. It's just personal preference, alot of people just want a drop and stiff ride, they're mostly going for looks. The money I saved by just getting springs pays for my rear camber arms, plus I got a killer deal on my sportlines lol. Either way IMO you can't go wrong with a good set of springs/shocks or coilovers they both get the job done just depends on how deep the driver want to get into fine tuning.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Z33power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thanks to all for the various inputs! I use my Z as a DD to school primarily, only 5 miles away. Thats why i thought coilovers would be "overkill" for my use. Granted there are plenty of twisty roads around here that I carve through, but i never track, autox, or drift (specially with the new tires). Im just desiring a lower ride height to reduce wheel gap and lower the center of gravity b/c i notice a "gliding" feel when im well into triple digits with the 19's and larger tires. A good set of shocks/springs sounds ideal for my application unto i get through school and have the money to actually boost/coilover/completely mod out my work in progress. Any good brands for shocks/springs?