Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Adding Swaybars.. Dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:39 PM
rtiid22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Swaybars.. Dangerous?

This might be a weird question... but whatever.

I'm concerned whether stiffer aftermarket swaybars increase my chances of hydroplaning on wet roads..?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 PM
julian

no. but if they make your car more oversteery it'll be more so in the wet.

hydroplane is more a function of tire tread depth, tire width, vehicle speed, and water depth.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 PM
jgregory124

I havent had a bid of problems yet had mine on for about 5K and the only issue was popping in the front end until I installed my power grid adjustable end links
Old 01-21-2009, 09:46 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

After-market sway bars will alter the OEM ride. Not necessarily better but different.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:58 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by julian
hydroplane is more a function of tire tread depth, tire width, vehicle speed, and water depth.
Actually its speed VS tire pressure.
To the OP , you have nothing to worry about , and get adjustable sways.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:27 AM
julian

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Actually its speed VS tire pressure.
so that means a bald 245 tire at 55 mph at a pressure better for hydroplaning (according to your statement) will be safer than a full tread 245 tire at 55 mph at whatever psi you think is optimal?

psi will affect the grip the tire gives you (and i've read people saying raise it to decrease footprint... i don't have back to back experience with psi in the rain so i can't comment on it). but it won't stop a tire from hydroplaning.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:58 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by julian
so that means a bald 245 tire at 55 mph at a pressure better for hydroplaning (according to your statement) will be safer than a full tread 245 tire at 55 mph at whatever psi you think is optimal?

psi will affect the grip the tire gives you (and i've read people saying raise it to decrease footprint... i don't have back to back experience with psi in the rain so i can't comment on it). but it won't stop a tire from hydroplaning.
9x the square root of your tire pressure is what you hydroplane at. Tread will affect the traction you have before you are up on plane.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Q45tech

As much as people want to change laws of tire physics, impossible to overcome most of them.
Study hydroplanning in airplanes where pressure is 200 psi to achieve ~ 130 mph landing safely.

65 mph is tough even at 51 psi depending on road water depth.

A slick [worn out] tire has twice the area of a treaded tire thus the pressure will have to be doubled to create the same intermolecular friction with the road PER SQUARE INCH.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:48 PM
terps

so according the logic a bald 285 will have less likelyhood to hydroplane at 55 then a well treaded 185 @same ps? i doubt that. the greater tire width reduces pressure made with ground, allowing water to get between the tire and road surface

planes have relativly skinny tires compared to there weight.

OP- the sways will have absolutely no affect on hydroplanning, because technically the term is incorrect in what you are referring to HOWEVER a stiffer suspension setup is more prone to breaking loose in wet conditions
Old 01-22-2009, 03:44 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by terps
so according the logic a bald 285 will have less likelyhood to hydroplane at 55 then a well treaded 185 @same ps? i doubt that. the greater tire width reduces pressure made with ground, allowing water to get between the tire and road surface
The reality behind this, at the same pressure they will hydroplane at the same speed. The tire with the best tread will feel better before it goes up on plane.

I don't know about it once up on plane, but i do believe that your tread can also affect how stable it will be. Regardless of how stable it is , your still hydroplaning once you hit the target speed.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:06 PM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by terps

planes have relativly skinny tires compared to there weight.

OP- the sways will have absolutely no affect on hydroplanning, because technically the term is incorrect in what you are referring to HOWEVER a stiffer suspension setup is more prone to breaking loose in wet conditions
Okay, thanks! great.. I guess I'm staying stock cuz it rains here.. whenever really, just flip a coin! The Z's my daily driver..
Old 01-22-2009, 05:08 PM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by davidv
After-market sway bars will alter the OEM ride. Not necessarily better but different.
So, you're saying that the lateral G's the car produces around turns before it breaks loose won't increase with swaybars?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Slow*Jim

Originally Posted by rtiid22
Okay, thanks! great.. I guess I'm staying stock cuz it rains here.. whenever really, just flip a coin! The Z's my daily driver..

Not getting sway bars because of rain is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. I've driven my Z in the rain hundreds of times with very little hydroplaning. Unless you are trying to go 120 in 6" of standing water, you'll be fine.
Hell, I drove in about 6" of snow and ice yesterday, with Hotchkis sways set to full stiff in front, 2/3 in back. No problems whatsoever.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:14 PM
terps

stiffer suspension will negativly affect grip in adverse conditions, no question. is it worth not upgrading ...no. but the question was asked does it. i got stiffer coilovers and sways and still drive in the rain too, but you need to know the limitations
Old 01-22-2009, 09:32 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I've got sways and stiff coilovers and have no problems in the rain (when it rains here)
Old 01-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car already has sway bars.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:19 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rtiid22
This might be a weird question... but whatever.

I'm concerned whether stiffer aftermarket swaybars increase my chances of hydroplaning on wet roads..?
you're joking right?
Old 01-23-2009, 04:29 AM
rtiid22

Many of you are asking whether I'm joking or telling me that I'm an idiot but I'm just a little peranoid of wet roads...

On April 15, 2007 me and my aunt were around the corner from my house with pizza and some lady in a lexus lost control in the rain and hit us head on.. my aunt passed away and I was airlifted and stayed in a hospital for 27 days. I now have high blood pressure, daily headaches and a tube/mesh inside my aorta.

Back on topic.. thanks to all who have replied, I guess as long as I don't drive reckless on the wet there shouldn't be a problem..
Old 01-23-2009, 04:44 AM
Sixth_Vang

Don't cheap out on your tires and drive with common sense and you should be fine. I have hotchis adjustable sways on medium setting and haven't hydroplaned yet. Whenever I drive in the rain I get paranoid as well so I drive much slower. It just drives me insane whenever a semi-truck blows past me or is in front or beside me.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:20 AM
julian

if you want sway bars, you should get them. they won't affect hydroplaning.

but if you set the bars so that your car is a lot more oversteery than stock you have to be extra careful when it's wet because your rear end will be more prone to coming around.

good luck recovering from your accident. if you don't have your health what's the point of having toys right?

Quick Reply: Adding Swaybars.. Dangerous?