Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension Guru's Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:56 AM
jdmteg2nv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Guru's Please Help

I tried searching but I can't find a definite answer....Over the past few months I've noticed a clunking noise comming from my front suspension..it started on both sides then got progressively louder on the passenger side...and now if the vehicle is stopped and i turn the steering wheel to the left and begin to accelerate I hear and feel a rubbing noise from the front passenger side..almost like a wheel is rubbing on a fender liner but it's not

I'm on stock suspension and have 19" rims with 19x9 on 235/35/19 and 19x10 on 275/35/19

Thanks for your help in advance
Old 04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
WhiskeyHotel

Do you have aftermarket sways? It could be the endlinks. How many miles? year model? Does it go away after you accelerate?
Old 04-17-2009, 02:25 PM
jdmteg2nv

factory sways....its 03 touring, 6-speed, 30k on it,...I notice the sound is more frequent when the car is cold and doesn't occur as much after the car heats up
Old 04-17-2009, 06:09 PM
jdmteg2nv

ok just took off the front sway bar and endlinks and went for a quick drive and still hearing the same noise...

anybody have some suggestions to help troubleshoot to find out what the noise is
Old 04-17-2009, 07:42 PM
WhiskeyHotel

Can you shake the front wheels while it's off the ground - wheel bearings? I also think there was a TSB about improper torque on the upper A arm bolts. You might try re-torquing them.

Do you feel it in the steering wheel or just hear it?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:02 PM
jdmteg2nv

don't feel anything on the steering wheel just...hear the noise...it is definately louder on the passenger side but it you can hear it on the driver side....

what do you mean shake the wheels??? like in and out or left and right??? Also is it common for both wheel bearings to go out around the same time

do you know what the torque is supposed to be on the upper A arm bolts??

thanks for the help
Old 04-19-2009, 02:49 PM
jdmteg2nv

found the TSB on the upper A arm bolts..checked the torque on them and everything seems fine....would blown shocks cause this clunking noise?? any other ideas??
Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Eddie K.

It sounds like it's your frount struts are bad . I had a Nissan Maxima do the same thing. New struts and clunking noise gone.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 AM
WhiskeyHotel

If your wheel bearing are worn, you can move the wheels slightly top to bottom. Give it a bit of a shake. With only 30K, it's unlikely but worth a try (also unusual for both to go belly up at the same time.)

It could be the front struts as above. I don't knwo how you would tell short of replacing them, though.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Zoom750

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also experiencing a problem with my front suspension (G35 Coupe). Things you may want to inspect, from what I've gathered so far:

-sway bar brackets (since you've already eliminated the endlinks)
-wheel bearings
-compression rod bushings
-lower control arm bushings
-blown shocks?

FWIW, will be bringing the car to the dealer this Wednesday. Will post up results. G/L
Old 04-20-2009, 12:52 PM
MB07

i think I have the exact same problem as you.. my best description to this noise is it sounds like a seal is stuck in my suspension. I also mainly hear it when its cold(er) and not as much when the car is warmed up. Im in an 04 roadster 6spd as well no mods.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:59 PM
jdmteg2nv

yea I have no clue what it is...I looked at the seals on the brackets and control arms and they seem fine...

I tried to jack the suspension up and down with the wheel on it to simulate a bump..but couldn't reproduce the same noise...

I put the factory wheels back on to see if the noise would change and still the same...

Hopefully its blown struts..gives me a reason for coilovers
Old 04-20-2009, 04:30 PM
MB07

well when i first got this car (used) i had THE MOST ANNOYING rear squeak and it turned out to be the shock assembly top bolt was loose. My mechanic took it down and took it apart to see if there was anything visibly wrong, there wasnt and when he was assembling the shock back together that top bolt went so much further down.. sure enough it shut up. So im gonna head to the mechanic tomorrow and see if we can figure somethin out ill let you know if i do. I'll tell you this much, I did need a balljoint regardless and I changed it hoping it would kill that problem too and it didnt do a thing for the noise.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:35 AM
MB07

So I went to the mechanic and of course it's quiet. Here's the funny part it was raining I never really paid attention before but does it really silence when it's wet or am I just crazy? Either way we traded cars for the night cause I know for sure in the mornings it does it and he heard it!! That's as much success as I have to give at this point. He looked long and hard at everything and it's driving him nuts. He says the G and 350 are known for that lower control arm (the one further back) it's like a big L but that's a $350CAD test :S my bushings there aren't in the most fantastic shape but they're not bad. I found a Z shop here in Toronto that strictly work on Z's new and old so I'm gonna hopefully pop by tomorrow and see. We will all beat this car!! It's not gonna win versus all of us lol
Old 04-23-2009, 02:37 PM
jdmteg2nv

Well I found out the problem it turns out that my upper strut bar was loose and was making the clunking noise...so the problem is solved..hope this can help somebody else out...

So i'm probably going to take off the strut bar...because it is dangerously close to the upper intake manifold
Old 04-24-2009, 07:26 AM
MB07

stupid question... can i just unblot the strut bar and obviously bolt the bots back in nice and tight and drive without it at least until I even go grab an aftermarket bar just to make sure it really is my problem as well? Reason Im askin is cause my car hasent been driven yet today and it will for sure make the noise when I go to leave and if i do this unbolting business and it dosent do it when i start driving today then I'm solved as well (fingers crossed)
Old 04-24-2009, 01:43 PM
DivinDriver

Did you try adjusting the strut bar, per the service manual? Might just be loose/out of whack. Properlty tightened, it shouldn't make any noise or have a clearance problem unless it's damaged.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:40 PM
MB07

took the bar out completely and problem not solved for me still sounds like I have a seal (the animal) stuck in my front end
Old 04-24-2009, 08:50 PM
DivinDriver

This might sound silly, but have you checked the center caps on your wheels?

Had them get loose on another car once; about drove me insane until I found the problem.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:03 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...g-failure.html look for this prob.

Quick Reply: Suspension Guru's Please Help