Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Where can I buy brake shims separately? Are there any substitutes I can use instead?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:17 PM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I buy brake shims separately? Are there any substitutes I can use instead?

I went to AutoZone and checked Nissan and apparently in order to get a brake shim, I need to order a set of pads. I need a rear passenger-side brake shim. So I come to you guys. Perhaps someone has one they don't need, or they know where I can buy them? Or is there something else I can use beside a shim - some sort of a substitute cure? Any help would be appreciated.

Here's a back story for those curious how/why I'm missing one:

Early last year I had my brakes done by a local forum member. I noticed a bit of squeak after the job was done but I was assured it would clear up. It was a very minimal squeak, barely audible, so I thought nothing of it. As the summer came, the squeaking became a lot worse - so at that point I bought some grease and had my shop apply it. They told me that the reason why it's squeaking so much is because the rear passenger side is missing its shim. They applied the grease to the back of the pad missing the shim and said it would quiet it down for a while, but it will come back. It's been back now for a few months, and it's driving me nuts.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:26 PM
thinking

I believe you can get aftermarket shims for the Brembos.
If you want something cheap, you have to make them yourself or buy some cheap pads that have them.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:49 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can buy any part you need for this car at you local Nissan parts department.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Asterix

When looking for parts, I always look here first.

I see a hardware kit, P/N 44080K, for the non-Brembo rears.

Asterix
Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 AM
SniperHunter

I looked at Courtesy Parts, but didn't see just the shims. I did see the hardware kit, but overlooked it because it didn't mention the shims. Looks like that's what I need. Too bad I have to fork over $50 for a whole kit that I only need one thing from. Ugh.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Asterix

I also looked at Rock Auto, and they only have the anti-rattle springs that go on the top and bottom of the pads. They don't have shims, which is strange.

It won't hurt anything to run without shims. I've done it for many years on other cars, but I don't care about squeaking.

I know I've seen generic shims or shim-like stuff sold at a typical auto parts store. Some are even just thick plasticy stickers that go on the pad backing plate which you cut to fit. You may want to look there before shelling out $50 for less than $1 worth of stamped metal. That sort of thing would help the squeaking.

Asterix
Old 07-08-2009, 11:00 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I wondered this too as I want some shims for my brembo pads. Nissan will only sell me a set of pads that come with shims - they won't sell the shim separate. I have two brand new sets of pads - so I don't want a third just to get some shims.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawn Dart
You can buy any part you need for this car at you local Nissan parts department.
really? I lost one of the two screws that hold my MAF in place and they said they could not order me one, had to get the whole MAF assembly.

if you know of a magical way to get them to just order me a damn bolt I would be very appreciative. I used a home depot ghetto fix in the mean time.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I looked at Courtesy Parts, but didn't see just the shims. I did see the hardware kit, but overlooked it because it didn't mention the shims. Looks like that's what I need. Too bad I have to fork over $50 for a whole kit that I only need one thing from. Ugh.

Thats because you cant buy just the shims, you have to buy the whole brake kit from Nissan.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:32 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
really? I lost one of the two screws that hold my MAF in place and they said they could not order me one, had to get the whole MAF assembly.

if you know of a magical way to get them to just order me a damn bolt I would be very appreciative. I used a home depot ghetto fix in the mean time.

Thats bs, any good part guy at a Nissan dealer will get you the bolt, as many are the same throughout our Z's.

You must fight!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by Asterix
I also looked at Rock Auto, and they only have the anti-rattle springs that go on the top and bottom of the pads. They don't have shims, which is strange.

It won't hurt anything to run without shims. I've done it for many years on other cars, but I don't care about squeaking.

I know I've seen generic shims or shim-like stuff sold at a typical auto parts store. Some are even just thick plasticy stickers that go on the pad backing plate which you cut to fit. You may want to look there before shelling out $50 for less than $1 worth of stamped metal. That sort of thing would help the squeaking.

Asterix
You know what, I have this aluminum roll that has an extremely sticky adhesive behind it. Can I just cut it up and stick it on the back of the pad? It's a bit thicker than a shim is, does that matter?

Last edited by SniperHunter; 07-08-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Entaille

I don't know. I guess sometimes Nissan selectively chooses to only sell things as an assembly. However, I've never encountered a problem and I order the weirdest stuff.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Asterix

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
You know what, I have this aluminum roll that has an extremely sticky adhesive behind it. Can I just cut it up and stick it on the back of the pad? It's a bit thicker than a shim is, does that matter?
You could do that. No, the thickness doesn't matter much. It's worth a try.

The adhesive may not live through the heat, but it doesn't matter much since the shim is trapped in there and can't fall out. Keep an eye on it, though.

Asterix

ps. Beck Arnley makes adhesive-backed steel shims. I can't think of why aluminum wouldn't work just fine.

Last edited by Asterix; 07-09-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: add link
Old 07-10-2009, 12:29 PM
SniperHunter

Thanks, Asterix. The car is going to be up on a lift tomorrow morning to adjust exhaust hangars, check for exhaust leak, and a little secret project I'm working on - so we might as well cover the brake tomorrow too. I'd do it myself, but eh...lazy. Hahaha.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:08 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I did find some aftermarket shims -
http://www.racingbrake.com/Brake_Shims_s/2447.htm