Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Installed coilovers, now popping noise from the front.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:10 PM
freedonutss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed coilovers, now popping noise from the front.

Installed BC coilovers today. Install went smoothly with no hiccups. After I took it out for a test drive I noticed a popping noise coming from the front everytime I hit an imperfection in the road. I also installed new endlinks (stock) while I was installing the coilovers. I traced back my installation and tightened all bolts.

-Upper A-arm
-endlink bolts(sway bar)
-lower shock mount
-3 bolts on top of shock (from engine bay)
-brake links and speed sensor
-reinstalled strut bar

I think I read somewhere that the endlink bolts need to be tightened while on the cars weight. Could this cause popping from the front?

Pic attached.

EDIT:

Everything is fixed. There wasnt enough preload on the springs which caused the rough ride and noises. I used 7mm preload and it rides good. I also think my strut bar was loose which could of caused some noises. Thanks Jason for all your help

I called Tim at BC racing and he was very helpful. I tested the shock by loosening the spring so there was no preload. The settings were on full soft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcAWlBaSUtU
Attached Thumbnails Installed coilovers, now popping noise from the front.-img_3055.jpg  

Last edited by freedonutss; 12-30-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:13 PM
calin
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure what the problem could be but mine make sounds too after installing them a few weeks ago. When I drive over a dip sideways, it sounds like a creaking wooden floor
Old 12-29-2009, 08:20 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

okay, based on this picture and what you wrote in it:

You DO NOT adjust the height from those two spring perches.......thats not how you do it..

height adjustment is from the very bottom..........you have to remove the bolt from the z lower control arm (translink) and turn the coilover shock body to adjust height!! not the spring perch......

the way your doing it is not letting the spring do anything.....the spring isnt loaded at all if its free to move........thats nuts....

-J
Old 12-29-2009, 08:23 PM
freedonutss

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA

You DO NOT adjust the height from those two spring perches.......thats not how you do it..

height adjustment is from the very bottom..........you have to remove the bolt from the z lower control arm (translink) and turn the coilover shock body to adjust height!! not the spring perch......

the way your doing it is not letting the spring do anything.....the spring isnt loaded at all if its free to move........thats nuts....

-J
Hmm.. The vendor I purchased it from told me to do it that way. Thanks for clearing that up. Could that be causing the clunking because not enough preload on the springs?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 PM
calin
Banned

-J
Pardon this noob question, but then what is the spring perch for? What does it change?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:26 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

look at the pic i have now....

The blue arrow ---> Points at the lock nut, loosen that........

The blue circle ---> Turn the lower shock body see how the red arrow is pointing at the threads where the lower shock body is mounted to the coilover itself......

-J
Attached Thumbnails Installed coilovers, now popping noise from the front.-img_3055.jpg  
Old 12-29-2009, 08:27 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by calin
Pardon this noob question, but then what is the spring perch for? What does it change?
it adjust spring rate.....by tightening on the spring you preload the spring to a higher rate...get it??? as in......when your driving down the road you have to hit a harder bump to compress the spring if its preloaded......tightened more......lamens terms.....

the shock(internals of the coilover) is what controls the rebound.....the bounce back after hitting a bump.....thats adjustable from the turn **** on the top of the coilover.......

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 12-29-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:28 PM
calin
Banned

it adjust spring rate.....by tightening on the spring you preload the spring to a higher rate...get it??

-J
Thank you sir!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:30 PM
freedonutss

Jason thanks so much for your help. Im going to fix it now, hopefully it will get rid of the popping noise im getting.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:32 PM
jadaniya
Banned

Your control arms might be hitting the underneath of your fenders. Thats what happened to me, and several before. I lifted my car up a little and it doesn't hit nearly as often anymore, only when I'm not being as attentive as usual and hit a pretty big dip or pot hole.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:36 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by freedonutss
Hmm.. The vendor I purchased it from told me to do it that way. Thanks for clearing that up. Could that be causing the clunking because not enough preload on the springs?
your vendor is an idiot....

heck ya, that could be the cause as the coilover internal rod is bottoming out........the spring isnt holding the coilover together....

honestly, you could have damaged your coilovers already......

I highly suggest you adjust everything back correctly......

see adjusting coilovers TAKES A LONG TIME....

you have to jack the car up and remove the lower bolt and turn the lower coilover body to the same point on each side........then put everything back together and lower the car.....drive around the block and let it settle and decide if thats where you want it, if you want it lower or higher........then you have to do it all over again!!!

-jack car up - all 4 off the ground.
-remove wheels
-remove lower coilover bolt from 350z lower control arm(translink)
-turn coilover shock body - both sides to the same point. count the threads, measure using a small ruler..etc...
-put lower coilover bolt back onto 350z lower control arm(translink)
-put wheels back on
-lower car
-drive around

-- decide if you like it, if not do it all over again...

-J
Old 12-29-2009, 08:40 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by jadaniya
Your control arms might be hitting the underneath of your fenders. Thats what happened to me, and several before. I lifted my car up a little and it doesn't hit nearly as often anymore, only when I'm not being as attentive as usual and hit a pretty big dip or pot hole.
yes! that could be also happening........

due to the spring not seated on the spring perch......car would be low and upper control arms hitting....

-J
Old 12-29-2009, 08:42 PM
freedonutss

The spring wasnt completely loose. Before I went on a drive I adjusted it to where it had preload on it. Hopefully its not damaged. If it is then ill be seeking replacements because he told me the wrong directions. Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:44 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by freedonutss
The spring wasnt completely loose. Before I went on a drive I adjusted it to where it had preload on it. Hopefully its not damaged. If it is then ill be seeking replacements because he told me the wrong directions. Thanks for all the help.

I doubt it then......if you had some preload then your fine......

see i bottom on my coilovers at times if and when i hit a hard enough bump or dip in the road if im going fast enough, etc...

it happens. so you should be good if you adjust everything else back.......

if its a daily driven car.....i suggest some preload for sure on the spring, a few turns......start there........same amount of turns on each side..

-J
Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 PM
freedonutss

Alright will do. Thanks for your help your great!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Old 12-29-2009, 09:55 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I run my BC's with around 5mm of preload, maybe less. But here is the main question i can't believe hasn't been asked "how low did you go"
Old 12-29-2009, 10:21 PM
freedonutss

Update: Im positive that the front left shock is gone. Its progressively got worse as I was driving it. It was a combination of popping and creaking as I slowed down. Im going to contact the vendor and see what they can do.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:26 PM
qxz9027mkii

-J

in order to adjust the height, do all coilovers follows the way you are discribing!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:30 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I run my BC's with around 5mm of preload, maybe less. But here is the main question i can't believe hasn't been asked "how low did you go"
from his explanation he went low enough that the spring wasn't preloaded at all.......meaning the internals on the coil over bottomed out...he did that to get the drop height he wanted.......that's wrong...

op, i still think there is a chance your fine, if you readjust and set up the coil overs correctly, but ya...ya never know, you may have messed something up......

either way.......i highly doubt the dealer/seller will do anything......an item like this he will say needs to be installed by a professional and he may back out of trying to help you regardless of what he told ya..........good luck if it comes to that........but first i would set it all up correctly and see if your okay..

-J

Quick Reply: Installed coilovers, now popping noise from the front.