Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

How corrosive is brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 PM
solar_n_orange

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How corrosive is brake fluid?

Ok, I'll admit I was lazy this year, so I took my Z in to have the radiator flushed as well as oil, trans, and diff fluids changed. I usually do this myself cuz i love working on my car but weather is getting nice and work schedule is hectic still.

Anyways while i had it in i wanted to get the brakes inspected. Was told the rotors looked "OK" but the pads were shot. I'm thinking that's fine I'll get some decent pads to last the season cuz this winter I want a big brake kit anyways.

So today I was in a hurry to get the pads changed cuz it was f'n gorgeous out and didn't pay attention to the brake fluid level. I just undid the cap and started replacing pads. After I'm all done I notice brake fluid all over the ground under my car. I freaking panic and think I tore a line. NOPE some jack off where i had it serviced topped off the fluid so there was no excess room for the fluid to go when the calipers were compressed to make room for fresh pads. Now I have brake fluid all over a ton of crap under the car. Including some wiring that routes under the master cylinder.

I tried to clean it up the best i could but my damn hands can't get down in there. Is this bad and if so how bad is it? I know this stuff has been said to strip paint. Is there any special cleaners to use?
Old 03-31-2010, 03:14 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Hose it out. NOW.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:56 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

THere are several excellent "How to clean the engine bay?" threads in the detailing forum. Very helpful.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:35 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

well, i cant see how its the "jack offs" fault...........If the fluid is even at the LOW marker of the brake master plastic reservoir - then when pushing the caliper pistons back in, it will overflow......so if he put the fluid level within the range this WILL happen......

I wrap around the master with shop towel, not hand rags and then wipe away any fluid residual that may have dripped down, usually its none..

-J
Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 AM
solar_n_orange

Thanks. I didn't see anything in the detailing section but I'll go back and check. Was kind of freaking out so I'll admit i didn't look that hard.

In any other car I've ever owned or worked on I've never had the master cylinder reservoir overflow. If the brake fluid is below the Minimum line than it usually means some other problem exists and topping it off isn't going to solve it.

I learned my lesson by being lazy I guess. It wasn't just a slight overflow either. There was a lot...I mean a lot of fluid that came out. A small overflow I could have lived with.

Regardless I'll go check the detailing section. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:35 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

If i do the same thing, (happens from time to time) i dump a gallon or two in the master cylinder hole to rinse it out. No big deal if you do it within an hour or so.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

^ ya, you also have to remember, there master cylinder area is its own blocked off engine bay area...........designed to funnel and trap that stuff.....its really not that bad, just clean it up...

-J
Old 03-31-2010, 09:34 AM
plumpzz

Hose it out with water. Doesnt take much to remove brake fluid with water. The fluid is very hygroscopic so water will pull it right off anything.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 AM
solar_n_orange

Wow...Didn't know the Nissan engineers thought about things like brake fluid spills. Too bad I waited until today to find out I could just dump some water down there and now the stuff has sat for a day.

Oh well, I still flush. Seems counter intuitive to dump water into car though but hey I've probably done worse to a vehicle.

Thanks for all the help. Next time I'll do all the service myself and be prepared to catch some fluid.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:24 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
^ ya, you also have to remember, there master cylinder area is its own blocked off engine bay area...........designed to funnel and trap that stuff.....its really not that bad, just clean it up...

-J
Originally Posted by plumpzz
Hose it out with water. Doesnt take much to remove brake fluid with water. The fluid is very hygroscopic so water will pull it right off anything.
Originally Posted by terrasmak
If i do the same thing, (happens from time to time) i dump a gallon or two in the master cylinder hole to rinse it out. No big deal if you do it within an hour or so.
All, Thanks for the good replies.. This info helped me out greatly with a minor power bleeder leak at the reservoir. Thankfully I remembered these tips without having to search around a lot. Tragedy and paint damage averted.

Last edited by thekinn; 04-10-2010 at 11:26 AM.