Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

GiroDisc 2-piece rotor review

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:58 PM
hippie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GiroDisc 2-piece rotor review

I've been considering light weight 2-piece rotors for my '03 Track to take advantage of the SCCA's BSP rules. The lightest advertised I could find are the GiroDisc, but there haven't been any reviews on them, so here are mine.

The advertised weights are actually a little heavy...16.5F and 13.5R. My new rotors weighed in at 15.8F and 13.4R. The front rotors saved me 4.4lbs ea and the rears saved me 3.6lbs ea compared to my worn Brembo rotors.

The GiroDisc rotors are true curved vane technology which helps with cooling and they come with anti-rattle springs for street use.

I'll do some track days (look at the color of my caliper), but mostly my Z is used for auto-x (2nd and 3rd at the Dixie National Tour). After a few events I'll post my impressions of the rotors and how they are wearing.

Thanks adamk@thmotorsports.com
Attached Thumbnails GiroDisc 2-piece rotor review-dsc00047.jpg   GiroDisc 2-piece rotor review-dsc00045.jpg   GiroDisc 2-piece rotor review-dsc00048.jpg   GiroDisc 2-piece rotor review-dsc00056.jpg   GiroDisc 2-piece rotor review-dsc00060.jpg  

Old 04-05-2010, 07:06 PM
quietkilla6

price? interested in quality and available models.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:19 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good looking rotor. Will keep in mind when I need brakes. Thanks for the photos.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:29 AM
hippie

THMotorsport has a special offer for these rotors in the vendor forum. I may be wrong, but I think the 2 piece are only avaliable for Brembo models.

One thing I forgot to mention.....The outer rear pad's backing plate has to be trimmed to clear the bolt flange on the hat. It's not a big deal, but the trim template didn't come with the rotors. I went to Girodisc.com to print it.

Last edited by hippie; 04-06-2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:52 AM
lgear080

darn no r35 rotors yet...
Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 AM
thmotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man!!!

I appreciate it.

Let me know if anyone has any questions for me.

Thank you
Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
ATL_Red_G35

Are these only available for Brembo package?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:33 AM
thmotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ATL_Red_G35
Are these only available for Brembo package?
yes...but a non brembo package can be made...but we would need 5 orders to make that happen. mini GB??

LMK

-Adam
Old 06-28-2010, 09:05 AM
thmotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by hippie
I've been considering light weight 2-piece rotors for my '03 Track to take advantage of the SCCA's BSP rules. The lightest advertised I could find are the GiroDisc, but there haven't been any reviews on them, so here are mine.

The advertised weights are actually a little heavy...16.5F and 13.5R. My new rotors weighed in at 15.8F and 13.4R. The front rotors saved me 4.4lbs ea and the rears saved me 3.6lbs ea compared to my worn Brembo rotors.

The GiroDisc rotors are true curved vane technology which helps with cooling and they come with anti-rattle springs for street use.

I'll do some track days (look at the color of my caliper), but mostly my Z is used for auto-x (2nd and 3rd at the Dixie National Tour). After a few events I'll post my impressions of the rotors and how they are wearing.

Thanks adamk@thmotorsports.com

How's the racing going??

-Adam
Old 06-28-2010, 04:23 PM
hippie

Very well, thanks for asking. We've been tweaking the set-up and the car has been getting even faster.

We were looking forward to the Peru tour......only a couple of those pesky 425hp+ Evos in BSP, but after an event yesterday we found a cracked wheel center. (see pics) I won't say whose wheels they are until I talk to the manufacturer. Obviously, they are custom made 3 piece wheels and I doubt we're going to get it fixed this late in the game.

The rotors are holding up very well. I have 7 events on them with very little wear. The first pics are after 5 events, the cad plating is just wearing off! The last event had a very hard brake zone at the finish. 65+mph to zero very quickly without the chance to cool down and the rotors blued, but no warping!

The lighter weight of the rotors felt about like putting in a light flywheel; not earth shattering, but definitely faster.

So far they have been very quiet on the street. The anti-rattle springs are doing their job and the Hawk Hp+ pads don't seem to make the GiroDisc rotors squeal as bad as the brembo rotors.

mike

A recent pic just for fun.....
Attached Thumbnails GiroDisc 2-piece rotor review-dsc00088.jpg   GiroDisc 2-piece rotor review-dsc00070.jpg   GiroDisc 2-piece rotor review-dsc00068.jpg   GiroDisc 2-piece rotor review-dsc00086.jpg   GiroDisc 2-piece rotor review-tsccgroves10725.jpg  

Old 06-29-2010, 05:23 AM
idrive_MD

Very well, thanks for asking. We've been tweaking the set-up and the car has been getting even faster.

We were looking forward to the Peru tour......only a couple of those pesky 425hp+ Evos in BSP, but after an event yesterday we found a cracked wheel center. (see pics) I won't say whose wheels they are until I talk to the manufacturer. Obviously, they are custom made 3 piece wheels and I doubt we're going to get it fixed this late in the game.

The rotors are holding up very well. I have 7 events on them with very little wear. The first pics are after 5 events, the cad plating is just wearing off! The last event had a very hard brake zone at the finish. 65+mph to zero very quickly without the chance to cool down and the rotors blued, but no warping!

The lighter weight of the rotors felt about like putting in a light flywheel; not earth shattering, but definitely faster.

So far they have been very quiet on the street. The anti-rattle springs are doing their job and the Hawk Hp+ pads don't seem to make the GiroDisc rotors squeal as bad as the brembo rotors.

mike

Cool deal, those kind of look liek Fikse wheels.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:07 PM
thmotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

mike

Very good to hear...man wish I could join you in the Peru tour...but we are out of both our cars. 1 for the season and another for at least another month.

Glad to hear that they have been good to you. We have a good deal of very satisfied customers.

-Adam
Old 06-30-2010, 04:34 PM
hippie

Originally Posted by idrive_MD
Cool deal, those kind of look liek Fikse wheels.
Actually, they are Kodiak Motorsports wheels. I talked to the manufacturer and they are going to machine new centers for me next week.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nobody noticed Mike. Kinda scary.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:08 AM
thmotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

5 track days so far and still good on our STi. These things are great!!!

Here is how the GiroDisc 2 Piece rotors look on our 04 STi.