Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

How to separate front upper control arm?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:43 AM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to separate front upper control arm?

I searched but no help, already installed coilover and got some negative camber in front. I am in the process of installing front A arm but got stuck on how to remove it... Any help?

Thank you!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Straighten out the cotter pin wrapped around the bolt. Then pull it out from the bolt and unscrew the nut underneath.

Last edited by Kwame; 04-11-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:07 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll need a ball joint removal tool. The lower end of the ball joint it tapered where it fits into the upper end of the axle assembly. You can't break it loose without the proper tool to put lots of pressure on the end of the stud. Leave the nut loose on the threads after removing the cotter pin to keep from damaging the threads.

Last edited by winchman; 04-11-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why are you trying to remove the balljoint ?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:42 AM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
You'll need a ball joint removal tool. The lower end of the ball joint it tapered where it fits into the upper end of the axle assembly. You can't break it loose without the proper tool to put lots of pressure on the end of the stud. Leave the nut loose on the threads after removing the cotter pin to keep from damaging the threads.
In general this is absolutely correct.

However, I think he is just trying to remove the upper A-arm so he will not need a ball joint remover since the ball joint is not pressed into the spindle/knuckle. It is pressed into the upper A-arm itself. A hearty whack with a 16oz hammer was all I needed once the pin and nut were removed. My SPL arms came with their own new ball joints so there was no need to remove the stock ones from the stock arms.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:51 AM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh and be careful with those spring compressors. I bought identical lookin ones off amazon for about $40 and the "safety pin" bent like cheese. Ended up not even needing spring compressors on either the front or rear suspension of the Z.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:49 PM
*ICE*

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
In general this is absolutely correct.

However, I think he is just trying to remove the upper A-arm so he will not need a ball joint remover since the ball joint is not pressed into the spindle/knuckle. It is pressed into the upper A-arm itself. A hearty whack with a 16oz hammer was all I needed once the pin and nut were removed. My SPL arms came with their own new ball joints so there was no need to remove the stock ones from the stock arms.
Problem is, once the pin was removed, I can't get the nut out. It just keep on spinning when I use the socket wrench to remove it. So once i figure how to get the nut out, just get a hammer and bang the **** out of it until both parts separate?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:15 PM
labelworkshop75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine off last week. If that nut is spinning all the internals of the arm are spinning too which = broken arm (I'm assuming). The big nut underneath just came right off for me. I would get the grinder out and have some fun since I believe the OEM arm is useless anyway
Old 04-11-2010, 01:17 PM
labelworkshop75

Once that nut is off one good bang of the hammer should knock it out of the spindle. Then just unscrew the other two bolts attaching it and your done. Should take 2min to get each arm off. Hardest part for me was jacking it up and getting the wheel off
Old 04-11-2010, 03:57 PM
bimmertech

Originally Posted by *ICE*
Problem is, once the pin was removed, I can't get the nut out. It just keep on spinning when I use the socket wrench to remove it. So once i figure how to get the nut out, just get a hammer and bang the **** out of it until both parts separate?
if the nut is spinning/not loosening then that means the ball joint has lost its pressure with the upper part of the spindle.

you simply need to apply pressure to the upper part of the balljoint to reapply that pressure with the spindle. this will keep the balljoint from spinning and allow the nut to loosen. i would recommend placing a pry bar on the top of the balljoint and leverage it against the inner strut well, all while loosening the nut. or the use of an impact may be sufficient as the nut is not a lockint nut and once freed will come off easily.

since this is the case, after the nut comes off the balljoint should easily come out of the spindle--most likely pop out on its own as the force from the bushings will pull it up on its own.

Last edited by bimmertech; 04-11-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Kroc

I signed up to tell you this:

I did the same job on my G35.
The tool you will need is a Picklefork.
Purchase or Rent it at an autozone or something similar in the area.
Put the picklefork in the join, take a mallet and bang bang bang the fork as hard as you can around the bolt. You will put pressure on the ball joint so the nut will come loose.

Took me about 3 days on my G to figure this out.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:02 AM
R350Zz33

weres ur BFH use it they fix everything but headlights and windows
Old 04-12-2010, 08:16 AM
tsar

If he's not planning on re-selling his stock a-arms he could just use a pair of pliers or a robo-grip or something similar to grip the rubber covering where the arrow is point in the picture. If you squeeze hard enough you'll grip the metal rod underneath and that will allow you to unscrew the bolt without the whole thing spinning around.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
*ICE*

Originally Posted by tsar
If he's not planning on re-selling his stock a-arms he could just use a pair of pliers or a robo-grip or something similar to grip the rubber covering where the arrow is point in the picture. If you squeeze hard enough you'll grip the metal rod underneath and that will allow you to unscrew the bolt without the whole thing spinning around.
thx i'll try that
Old 04-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Thermal1

^ That or the pickle fork (which is a rental tool, so you don't have to buy one)

This won't help you get the nut off, but I have one of these:

Useful for separating balljoints, less chance of damaging the boot compared to the pickle fork.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:28 PM
*ICE*

finally got these b!tches out!!!!

All those tools that were recommended were failed at the job, I had to figured out my own way to do it.

All you need is to remove the you inner bolts near the struts, then flip it outward, tilt it upward or downward to put pressure on the balljoint, then remove the nuts.
These pics will explain everything!

This is will be a great guide for anyone that is lowered on coilover and want to switch out the front cambers.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:31 PM
gorillagoggles

Wow man that looks like one hell of a process. I just installed my Ichiba A arms with my KW's and when I undid that bolt the A arm popped right off. Hopefully you have better luck puttin it all together
Old 04-27-2010, 02:44 AM
*ICE*

Originally Posted by gorillagoggles
Wow man that looks like one hell of a process. I just installed my Ichiba A arms with my KW's and when I undid that bolt the A arm popped right off. Hopefully you have better luck puttin it all together
yes that is normally the process, but once you lowered maximum on coilover with stock A arms and drive around for about 50 miles, the balljoint most likely will break right away
Old 04-27-2010, 04:44 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is will be a great guide for anyone that is lowered on coilover and want to switch out the front cambers.
So is this:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ion-101-a.html
Old 04-27-2010, 07:17 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

ICE, please carefully inspect your brake lines for any cracks and your abs lines..........from that pic, you didnt remove the brake or abs line from the strut mounts and you are pulling on them quite badly!

you may not have a leak in brake fluid now?? but if you did give it a tear, then a tear can turn to a failure down the road......

-J

Quick Reply: How to separate front upper control arm?