Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brake Squeal - Carbotech XP10 w/ Centric Premium Blanks

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:19 AM
mekatoka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Squeal - Carbotech XP10 w/ Centric Premium Blanks

Disclaimer
I know there are tons of brake squeal threads out there and I did read quite a lot of them and have a few questions based on them. I did not choose to append to those threads as I have questions on content from different threads

Info
I just finished upgrading my brake parts for the track season and did so with the following
- Centric Premium Blanks (Rotors)
- Carbotech XP10 (Front) / XP8 (Read) (Pads)
- Applied Brake Cleaner on rotors at the time of install
- The pads DO NOT come with shims and I just retained the OEM shims
- Used plenty of anti-squeal jel on the shims

Then, I did the Carbotech recommended bed-in process
- 10x 60-10 mph near stops, drove around 10 mins with out using brakes
- 30 min cooling break
- 10x 60-10 mph near stops, 5x 80-10 mph near stops, drove around 10 mins with out using brakes
- Had a teal colored mark on rotors after the bed-in and lots of smoke

This is the second set of Carbotech pads that I am using and I know that they squeal. The last set I used was on stock Rotors and at the time I got the rotors turned to take out the stock pad material out since I did not want to mix different types of pad material on rotor. Last year the squeal was there but not as loud as now and the squeal gradually increased with the life of the pads. This time, I decided not to turn rotor since its the same pad material.

I think (but not sure because didn't notice earlier) the squeal increased after doing the bed-in process this time. Also, there is a light squeak when driving around without applying brakes at 5-10 mph in parking lot.

What more can I do to reduce the squealing?

Some questions

1. I read somewhere that if the pads did not come with shims do not use OEM shims? Is it true? Carbotech's don't come with shims?
2. OEM shims are made to pair up with OEM pads, in other words its a perfect fit. While using aftermarket pads the shims don't exactly have perfect fit as the shape of the pad could be different? Could this be an issue?
3. Use brand new shims? If yes, where can I buy these? I searched around and didn't find anywhere? I read in some thread that Nissan does sells shims but they are almost as expensive as the pads which come with shims
4. Do I need to re-surface rotors again?
5. Could it be that the combination of the centric rotor and carbotech pads is not working?

Sources - Previous Threads
1. New Pad and New Rotors
2. Answer for Hawk HPS brake pads
3. Help with odd brake squeal
4. Squeaking...new rotors and brakes
5. Question about my brakes
Old 05-09-2010, 05:53 PM
sektor 11

I thought you may have dust shield rubbing but after reading this it just sounds like normal pad squeal. My buddy uses those Carbotechs as well. Sometimes they squeal very badly other times they don't. Nature of the track pad.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:10 PM
=Cerberus=

I had the carbotech AX6s which are more of a street/autox compound and they did the same thing. You are just going to have to live with it. Those pads are also not very good street pads, more of a track compound so they will have a lot of noise.