Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

New Stoptech BBK problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:19 AM
ZJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Stoptech BBK problem

Hey guys, I just had a Stoptech kit installed on my 03 350z Touring. I got the ST-45 set up for the front and the ST-40 for the rear. The rotors are new as are the pads.

My questions are:

1.) Should or should not the brake pedal have very little play before the brakes engage? It should in fact be at least as hard as stock if not more so, yes? The pedal is spongy (if that makes sense).

2.) Why the Hell does the whole car shudder when I am braking, less at cruising around town speed and more at highway speed?

When I first picked up the car the pedal felt spongy so I had the shop bleed the brakes again. They said they already had done so three time so in all the system was bled four times. It is less spongy now but I have to tap the brakes once for the pedal to firm up. This just doesn't seem right to me. This is my first BBK system but I'm sure they aren't supposed to be this rough.

Any ideas or input is appreciated.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Z You Later

1) if the pedal is spongy then you either probably have some more air in your lines, or since they bled the system 4 times, you may need to check your fluid level.

2) sounds like something isn't aligned correctly to me

Last edited by Z You Later; 05-25-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Goo$e
Banned

1. When I installed my StopTech BBK on my car, my brake pedal also felt kind of odd. I bled my brakes twice doing the two person method. I used a rubber mallet to hit around the caliper just to get all the air bubbles out. There are some really tiny air bubbles in those lines. I do also have to press the pedal maybe once before it firms as a rock. Seems normal to me. Maybe the StopTech vendor can chime in here on that.

2. I take it a shop did this install and not you? The shuttering when you are braking...did they bed the brakes in properly like this video:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9GmdwQtjaQc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9GmdwQtjaQc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It could be possible they didn't do the bed-in correctly?
Old 05-22-2010, 11:38 AM
R3belzBRN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bed in the brake pads and rotors everytime u change it
Old 05-22-2010, 12:20 PM
jumbosrule

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also installed the stoptech kit. Pedal should not be softer than OEM, for sure. I did my own install and was warned about getting air in the ABS system. That has to be bled by a garage with a vacuum bleeder. It sounds to me like that might be the problem, as when you brake that shudder could be the ABS trying to kick in because the sensors are confused with air in the system.

First thing I would do is connect to the OBDII port and see if you have thrown any codes. could be the easiest answer to what's wrong. If you do have some kind of ABS code, then use that to fix the problem. Maybe I'm wrong, but as I understand it the ABS system would NOT be bled just because you bleed each caliper.

Check to make sure your ABS sensors look intact too, you can see them about an inch outside the very center of the wheel hub, from under the car on jacks.

Bed in is definitely necessary. Stoptech installation asks you to clean the rotors with soap and water to remove the anti-rust oils placed on after manufacture. If you haven't done that, it could have negative effects on the brake pads. Properly bedding and burnishing the brakes should give you a system that immediately feels just like stock, except better. There shouldn't be any odd shakes, sounds or performance characteristics. If it doesnt feel right to you IMO you get it looked at by a local speed shop.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:02 PM
zx10r_646

Isn't the ST-45 suppose to be installed in the rear? Typo or did your installer actually install the ST-45s in the front?

http://www.powerslot.com/partsapp/re...categories=22&

I believe the pistons are small in the ST-45 caliper. This may not explain why your brakes are spongy but it will likely affect braking performance.

Larry
Old 05-22-2010, 02:38 PM
ZJoe

My bad, yeah it was a typo. A shop did do the installation but I took it to another shop to see what they thought. They agreed that the feel was a bit off and the shuddering wasn't normal but it wasn't so bad that they thought something was really wrong, just perhaps in need of a few adjustments. I'm going to have them bleed the brakes again on Tuesday (after this long weekend) and check everything else, stem to stern. Thanks all for chiming in.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZJoe
Hey guys, I just had a Stoptech kit installed on my 03 350z Touring. I got the ST-45 set up for the front and the ST-40 for the rear. The rotors are new as are the pads.

My questions are:

1.) Should or should not the brake pedal have very little play before the brakes engage? It should in fact be at least as hard as stock if not more so, yes? The pedal is spongy (if that makes sense).

2.) Why the Hell does the whole car shudder when I am braking, less at cruising around town speed and more at highway speed?

When I first picked up the car the pedal felt spongy so I had the shop bleed the brakes again. They said they already had done so three time so in all the system was bled four times. It is less spongy now but I have to tap the brakes once for the pedal to firm up. This just doesn't seem right to me. This is my first BBK system but I'm sure they aren't supposed to be this rough.

Any ideas or input is appreciated.
1) a properly bled system with SS lines, the pedal should feel very hard with no sponge. you have air in your lines still. did you bleed from furthest point from reservoir back closer? (pass rear, driver rear, pass front, driver front)

2) should be no shuddering. make sure bracket and rotor hat are correctly placed on in the correct orientation (grooves are facing the correct way) and everything is torqued down properly. also re-check to see if you have cut the dust shield away properly such that is it not hitting the rotor.

don't wait for a vendor to chime in. call stoptech's tech support line if you're having doubts on your install.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Ziggyrama

Originally Posted by jumbosrule
First thing I would do is connect to the OBDII port and see if you have thrown any codes. could be the easiest answer to what's wrong. If you do have some kind of ABS code, then use that to fix the problem. Maybe I'm wrong, but as I understand it the ABS system would NOT be bled just because you bleed each caliper.
ABS system is not accessible via OBD2 scanner like the ECU system. If your ABS or brake light is on, there will be no codes to pull. To diagnose the brake system with a scanner, OP needs a real brake system scanner which is compatible with this particular system, ie: Consult2, I believe.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:26 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

If you have the st45's on the front and the st-40's on the rear, you're going to have some issues.

The ST-40's should go on the front, and st-45's on the rear. If the st-40's are on the rear, there will be pad overhang. I don't even think the st-45's can install properly on the front.

Either way, those probably aren't the source of your issues. What the guys have above is likely correct.