Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

rotor squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:18 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rotor squeal?

i wanted to start a new thread to ask question rather than asking question in a review kind thread.
Today i installed hawk HPS fr/r and centric premium front. I bedded in properly, i think. I did about 4 hard stops...not that hard though. The problem is i heard squealing sound from 2 mph to about 40 mph. It should keep squealing above 40 mph but i just cant hear bc of wind noise and car noise. The brake PADS definitely don't squeal. When i apply brakes, the sound kinda goes away but when released and cruising, i heard the sound again. I THINK i hear it from the rear. The rotors might be dragging? The rear rotors were cleaned and sanded down with 150 grit...

Please HELP
Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 PM
*Boose*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something to look into. When you installed the new pads did you bend that little tab that goes into the wear tab properly?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 PM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by *Boose*
Something to look into. When you installed the new pads did you bend that little tab that goes into the wear tab properly?
the wear tap things are attached to only the fronts not the rears. For the fronts, i did put the tabs inside the loop attached to the pad. Although the rear pads from hawks had the loop, the tabs are not there for rears.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Chris_B

Originally Posted by 350zRiot
i wanted to start a new thread to ask question rather than asking question in a review kind thread.
Today i installed hawk HPS fr/r and centric premium front. I bedded in properly, i think. I did about 4 hard stops...not that hard though. The problem is i heard squealing sound from 2 mph to about 40 mph. It should keep squealing above 40 mph but i just cant hear bc of wind noise and car noise. The brake PADS definitely don't squeal. When i apply brakes, the sound kinda goes away but when released and cruising, i heard the sound again. I THINK i hear it from the rear. The rotors might be dragging? The rear rotors were cleaned and sanded down with 150 grit...

Please HELP
Hard to say for sure, but disc brake pads are kept up against the rotor faces at all times for a consistent pedal response. If there is some drag in the caliper (sticky piston, dry or corroded slider pins, etc.) the drag could be enough to induce squeal.

The one thing I would be looking at is the rear rotor faces. Since you did not turn them, they might not be a smooth as the pad would like. It will take time for the pad surface to burnish into the rotor surface, so it may get better over time. If not, take them off and have them turned very lightly.

Chris
Old 07-10-2010, 02:11 PM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by Chris_B
Hard to say for sure, but disc brake pads are kept up against the rotor faces at all times for a consistent pedal response. If there is some drag in the caliper (sticky piston, dry or corroded slider pins, etc.) the drag could be enough to induce squeal.

The one thing I would be looking at is the rear rotor faces. Since you did not turn them, they might not be a smooth as the pad would like. It will take time for the pad surface to burnish into the rotor surface, so it may get better over time. If not, take them off and have them turned very lightly.

Chris
i think it might be the sticky piston because i went for a drive just now and noticed that the car doesn't roll back or forward at stop (brake pedal not pushed in). It only moves when there's very noticable slope. This is just how i FEEL comparing to before and after i changed the brakes. I don't know if my car pulling to the right has to do anything. Before the brake change, it pulled to the right also but didn't hear squealing sound.

If i just let it keep squealing even thought it's caused by sticking piston, then what will happen to my brakes later?.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Chris_B

Originally Posted by 350zRiot
i think it might be the sticky piston because i went for a drive just now and noticed that the car doesn't roll back or forward at stop (brake pedal not pushed in). It only moves when there's very noticable slope. This is just how i FEEL comparing to before and after i changed the brakes. I don't know if my car pulling to the right has to do anything. Before the brake change, it pulled to the right also but didn't hear squealing sound.

If i just let it keep squealing even thought it's caused by sticking piston, then what will happen to my brakes later?.
The squealing itself won't cause any problems, it's just a symptom. The enemy is the heat buildup if that caliper is sticking enough. If so, it would lead to ruined pads and rotor (and possibly the caliper). I'd have it rebuild or replaced with new.

Chris
Old 07-10-2010, 10:57 PM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by Chris_B
The squealing itself won't cause any problems, it's just a symptom. The enemy is the heat buildup if that caliper is sticking enough. If so, it would lead to ruined pads and rotor (and possibly the caliper). I'd have it rebuild or replaced with new.

Chris
jesus christ. money after money. But the caliper piston might was not sticking but why sticks all of sudden after brake change.. should i just drive the car a few hundred miles more and see if it keeps doing it? Will i be able to notice anything before the pad, rotor and caliper ruins? i'm crying