Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brakes pads keep glazing - how to prevent it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:25 PM
solidfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes pads keep glazing - how to prevent it??

I have Wilwood BP10 street pads and lately I cant get them to stop glazing. This is from regular street commutes. The pads get that glassy surface. Looks much like the picture below, except my pads are new. The glaze seems to be causing a loud squeel as the pads get warm.

I recently swapped the pads to another set of BP10s and those pads glazed too! This happened during the bed in process. As soon as they get hot, they squeel horribly. I go home and take the pads out and they have the glassy surface too.

I called Wilwood and they said try sanding everything down. Used 80grit on the pads and rotors and at first there was no squeel. But over a day or two the squeel comes back. I look at the pads and its all shinny again.

My rotors are fairly new, but could that be the prolem? Any thoughts on what can be causing the glaze?

*pads in picture are not mine, just found very similar posting and used their picture
Attached Thumbnails Brakes pads keep glazing - how to prevent it??-wilwood.jpg  

Last edited by solidfish; 08-06-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:44 PM
*Boose*

Pad glazing typically doesn't cause squeeling or sqeeking. Pad glazing is usually when your pads overheat and cause a vibration or shudder. The stock pads are well known for that. What is the heat range for your pads? My XP10/XP8 setup does not get pad glazing at all, and I've done multiple 150 mph+ stops down to 65 and there is no fade nor glazing.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:36 PM
solidfish

Hm.. I thought glazing can cause high pitch noise because the material of the brake pads has hardened. So the hardened surface grinding on the rotor is causing the high pitched noise (like metal on metal). I might be wrong but thats what I thought was happening.

I'll post picks of the pads tonight. It looks just like the ones above.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:24 PM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by solidfish
Hm.. I thought glazing can cause high pitch noise because the material of the brake pads has hardened. So the hardened surface grinding on the rotor is causing the high pitched noise (like metal on metal). I might be wrong but thats what I thought was happening.

I'll post picks of the pads tonight. It looks just like the ones above.

I could be wrong about the noise. But my stock pads never made a squeeling noise. All they did once they were overheated is fade and that would cause my brakes to practically fail momentarily and once they cooled for about 10-20 seconds they were back to normal again.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:12 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

The slight problem with the wilwood kits (as shown on the above pads ) is that the top of the pad overhangs the rotor just a hair. You can Either remove a shim from the caliper mount or bevel the top edge of the pad with a file. I just file my streets pads everytime i reinstall them after a trackday.
The top edge overhang is what causes the squeel.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Todd TCE
Sponsor
TCE Performance Products

Originally Posted by terrasmak
The slight problem with the wilwood kits (as shown on the above pads ) is that the top of the pad overhangs the rotor just a hair. You can Either remove a shim from the caliper mount or bevel the top edge of the pad with a file. I just file my streets pads everytime i reinstall them after a trackday.
The top edge overhang is what causes the squeel.

And oddly the Polymatrix line produced by Raybestos does not have that overhang. It's only on the BP series of pads that the friction material is actually a tad taller than the others. Can't explain it...but that's how it is.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 PM
solidfish

It seems the little mismatch is the source of the noise. I tried sanding the edge down a bit at a 45 degree angle and that seemed to help. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:03 AM
mk3vento96

thanks guys ...exactly my problem too got my pads from auto zone