Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Need Recomendation For Track Pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Nismo-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Recomendation For Track Pads

I have about 25 track days under my belt in the past two years so I'm running in the advanced run groups now. I have an 2008 Nismo 350Z which comes equiped with Brimos'. I switched to Hawk HP plus after I wore out the OEM pads last year. As my speed and skill improves I am getting less and less life out of my pads. My last set lasted only 4 track days, though a couple of these days had one hour plus sessions. I got 1/2 day at Watkins Glen, 1 Day and NHMS and 2 1/2 days at Mt Tremblant. I'm still running the OEM Bridgestone Potenza street tires. Don't plan to swith to R-Compound for another year or two. Any suggestions on a better pad?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:04 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Performance Friction PF97s are a nice step up from the Hawks, and I successfully ran them on our Z when it was all-Brembo equipped. I always liked the Porterfield RS4 on my 300ZX TT as well.

What are you running for wheels and tires? It may be time to step up in the rubber area as well to get all that braking performed.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Nismo-Z

Performance Friction is a name I've heard several times. Thanks, I'll surf around to find a supplier.
I'm still running the OEM tires and wheels. BMW HPDE recommends 3 years before moving to R-Compound so that you can get the feel and balance of the car. One concern I've heard is not to have too much pad friction with street tires.
Brake overheating is a real problem with the Nismo. Lost my brakes going into turn 6 at Watkins Glen back in July. Since I've added 2 1/2" brake ducts and swiched to Castrol CRF. Plan on adding titanium shims next
Old 08-17-2010, 07:27 AM
lbk16

I would recommend Hawk DTC-60s/DTC-70s. I use them on my Z and they are great. Nice feel, good initial bite and they wear like iron. They are loud and hard on the rotors.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Nismo-Z

Guess I'm looking for something that isn't hard on rotors. I'm reading on line that Hawk HT-10 and Performance Friction PF01 are easy on rotors. Problem is I can only find HT-10 for the rear.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:24 PM
bimmertech

hawks are very bad on rotors and the dust is crazy caustic. so if you hate your rotors and wheels, then hawk all the way!! they are nice to have around so you can clean up your rotors instead of machining them.

my personal preference is carbotech. call them up and tell them your setup, they will get you what you need. good price, very easy on rotors, paint friendly dust, excellent modulation/release, etc.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:04 PM
StopTechErik
Vendor - Former Vendor

Your hawk info is probably based on the very old 9012 (Blue) compound. The newer Hawk compounds like HT10/HT14 and the current DTC formulas are no where near as abrasive and do not put out the corrosive dust of the older pads.

I can tell you from personal experience that PFC01, PFC97, Hawk HT or DTC compounds will be more than enough for your need as long as you are on street tires and will also hold up well if you do end up moving to r-comps before they wear out.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Nismo-Z

I called Hawk today and they recommended DTC-60s for my setup. Should only use 70s if I was running R-componds. The 9012 is an older compond and harder on rotors. Couldn't get a clear answer on the HT-10. Sound like a little less stopping power and a little more harsh or rotors compared to the 60s.
Still weighing the pros and cons on titanium shims. Leaning more towards using them at this point
Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

After 25 events I think you'd be ready for a more aggressive tire. I see they recommend 3 years, but how many events is that? Most newbies are likely only going to the track 3 or 4 times a year. I think I made the switch to the middle-of-the-line Kumho Victoracer (street friendly) after 5 or 6 events simply to save my expensive PS2 street tires. With all the good street tires out there (Kumho XS, Dunlop Direzza DZ101, etc.) that are affordable, I think you'd greatly enjoy a dedicated set of wheels and tires. At your level (I'm assuming a bit here), you could also go with the NT01 or RA1 tire, both of which are streetable for driving to/from events.

If you need a great set of track-only wheels, I have a few options for you since I recently purchased 3 new SETS of wheels (street, autox, track) for my new paint set-up.

Cheers.