Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Weird noises after spring/brake pad install...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:55 PM
BrandonHeat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noises after spring/brake pad install...

I've searched can't get a clear answer because the noises posted are completely different from the ones I get. Alright shortly after installing lowering springs on my car (Eibach Pro-kit), I noticed when I was reversing that there was a faint rattling noise, akin to a soda tab inside the can rattling around, or someone tapping lightly on a marble table...(?) it's a *tick*tick*tick* noise coming from back left. Pulling the e-brake helped and the sound went away. A couple of weeks later I changed my brake pads in the rear. The noise is back louder than ever! Now it sounds like someone just got married rolling down the block, with a bunch of pebbles inside soda cans... exaggeration but that's what I imagine when people stare for the wrong reasons . Anyone have any idea wth could be making that ticking noise?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wheel bearing. Pulling the E-brake gives some support to the drum/rotor, and takes a little load off the bearing itself, so the noise goes away. Lowering the car changes the angle of loading on the bearings, so that's probably why it started right after that.

Another possibility is the CV joint on the rear axle, since it has to move more with the car lowered.

My money's on the wheel bearing, though, just based on your description. How old is and how many miles are on the car?

Last edited by winchman; 09-21-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:09 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Bring it over to http://www.paladinadvancedauto.com/ and have them look at it. Mike (the owner) is a Nissan master tech, and they are the shop our local Z community uses.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:56 AM
BrandonHeat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the problem. Month or so ago a friend helped me change some studs on the side with the sound in question. Today I jacked the back took off the wheel and rotated the rotor and heard what sounded like there was something inside loose at the bottom. I took off the rotor and lo and behold one of the retaining clips came out of its spot and was pressed between the dust shield and brake shoe. The guy who helped had installed the springs on the wrong side and the retaining pins weren't holding in place. Easy enough fix luckily I caught it before anything serious happened. Hurray for troubleshooting!

Last edited by BrandonHeat; 09-24-2010 at 06:39 PM.