Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Konis are on!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jmark
I would like to reserve a set please. Might be interested in the sways & bushings too depending on pricing. BJ please PM me with how you want to handle this. Thanks!
I'm interested also in the poly bushings, but would like info on how difficult they are to install, ie. I'm no DYIer, so installation has to be figured into the combo for me. I have a ball park figure for installation of the struts, but the bushings are beyond my experience. Please PM me along with Mark.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:39 PM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys could email me at
BJ@350EVO.com
with the title :Koni shock request ....I can then save it to a new file and have you down.
The hard part about installing the bushings is getting the OEM ones out. The installation is the super easy part.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:04 PM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by dwnshift
If you guys could email me at
BJ@350EVO.com
with the title :Koni shock request ....I can then save it to a new file and have you down.
The hard part about installing the bushings is getting the OEM ones out. The installation is the super easy part.
Done! Let me know if you got it.

Last edited by jmark; 11-28-2003 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:05 PM
Boomer

Done! Let me if you got it.
Me too!
Old 11-24-2003, 06:08 PM
benzz280

is the bounce killed or significantly reduced just with these konis???
Old 11-25-2003, 12:16 AM
little_rod

OK, cool, sorry to come off a bit harsh, lol. That amount of money just freaked me out, heh. Anyway, I have always wanted some of your sways, how much for the poly and for the delrin bushings?? Couldn't find them on the site.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:20 AM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its ok.I didnt rear it as being harsh :0

I am working on the price for the two different bushings for the rear upper sontrol arms.

The Konis significantly reduce the bounce.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:38 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

How do you think those Koni shocks would perform with my B&G springs? They lower my car 1" all 4 corners and are like the Eibachs, just slightly more agressive handling. I got Nismo sway bars too. Would these shocks fit into that set up well?

Jeff - zland
Old 11-26-2003, 02:16 AM
jmark

BJ,

Good talking to you today. Did you receive my email?

Last edited by jmark; 11-26-2003 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:36 AM
jmark

Read this in Grassroots Motorsports Article on Shock absorbers. I am quoting here. "A spring that is not properly damped will cycle rapidly as a load is applied and removed. Picture a bobble head doll: The spring inside the doll's neck keeps whipping that head around long after the doll stops moving. The same reaction can be seen in a car fitted with bad shock absorbers. The car will continue to rock up and down after it has finished going over a bump or through a turn. In extreme examples, the wheel and tire will continually cycle up and down as the car is driven on a relatively smooth road." Sound like any car we know. I want some Konis.......The article is a good read and they test a BMW with SA Sport Konis similar to what BJ is testing now.

Last edited by jmark; 11-27-2003 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:59 AM
jmark

Originally posted by zland
How do you think those Koni shocks would perform with my B&G springs? They lower my car 1" all 4 corners and are like the Eibachs, just slightly more agressive handling. I got Nismo sway bars too. Would these shocks fit into that set up well?

Jeff - zland
The Eibachs are progressive springs as are the NISMO S-Tune. Don't progressive springs give up preformance for ride comfort vs. linear springs (OEM's are linear)? I would like to see the Konis optimized with the OEM linear springs. This would help the guys who autox their Z's in the stock class.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:06 AM
Boomer

[. The car will continue to rock up and down after it has finished going over a bump or through a turn. In extreme examples, the wheel and tire will continually cycle up and down as the car is driven on a relatively smooth road." Sound like any car we know. I want some Konis.......The article is a good read and they test a BMW with SA Sport Konis similar to what BJ is testing now. [/B]
This is EXACTLY the behavior I experience on newly laid asphalt where I live. The low frequency oscillation doesn't stop at any speed on those roads, or any other roads, except very new, very smooth concrete surfaces. The stock struts are worthless for any rebound control, the springs keep the car from wobbling and the Konis will address the compression and rebound problem.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:20 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by zland

Jeff - zland
The Konis are adjustable, but I would e-mail Gordon at Koni and ask him your question. The full soft setting on the Konis is the recommended one for the OE struts, but the next setting might be just right, there are 4 settings on them. Gordon has been very responsive to questions and Mark has been in constant contact w/him. We want them NOW!

UPDATE: I just read the article Mark quoted earlier and they teamed the Konis w/Eibach springs on the BMW, so they may work for you.

Last edited by Boomer; 11-27-2003 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:29 AM
jmark

In talking with BJ he has a few tweaks/suggestions to make to the Konis before full production begins. I believe it was in the bump settings which can't be adjusted in the SA Konis. BJ can elaborate more. He has done this before testing Konis on his Audi S4 and suggesting some improvements to the shocks which Koni incorporated into the production shocks. I am hoping that's why Koni had BJ test the shocks on his street Z. Realize most of us probably wouldn't notice the diff but BJ with his racing experience picks right up on problem areas. BJ is going to talk to Jay with Koni and discuss the current settings vs. his ideas. Thanks BJ for helping get us the best possible product(s) for our Z's.

Last edited by jmark; 11-27-2003 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:16 AM
CarFanatic

mmmm koni's

BJ needs to stop posting all these new, parts because I'm going to have to get a second job to buy them all.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:55 AM
jmark

Originally posted by CarFanatic
mmmm koni's

BJ needs to stop posting all these new, parts because I'm going to have to get a second job to buy them all.
Word! I'd like to see who besides me & Boomer are seriously considering the Konis so sound off.

Last edited by jmark; 11-28-2003 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:40 AM
2003z

me
Old 11-28-2003, 08:48 AM
FLY BY Z

I'm not considering them, I am buying them. They have always been the thing I am waiting on to finish my suspension.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:20 AM
TCL

Word! I'd like to see who besides me & Boomer are seriously considering the Konis so sound off.
I plan to get them as soon as they are available.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:39 AM
C Ray Z

Thumbs up Count me In

I have installed EVO's adjustable front sway bar and the Koni's are next. I have preordered through Kraus's racing in the Bay Area. Plan to have them on as soon as they become available. I can't wait for next years Aotucrossing season. The front sway took out half of the push and I still have the old grease-ball RE-040's. New 275 Hoosiers and the Konis and I will be competative next year. Can't wait!!!

Quick Reply: Konis are on!