Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Konis are on!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 04:51 PM
Bud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off my problem with the car was the rough/harsh ride. First I installed Tein S-Tech springs. These helped but the jarring ride over anything but smooth roads took the pleasure out of long trips. I ordered the G35 coupe struts ($525 for front & back). The rears came in first and was able to install them a week ago, just before a 5 hour trip. It decreased the vertical G forces over rough pavement 24%. Today I installed the fronts while I haven't check with instruments the ride has improved more. I'd have to say the rears provided more improvement. If you read Road & Track they pulled higher lateral G's with the G35 than the 350Z. I just hated to spend money with nissan but I have places to go and things to do until the Konis are available.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:48 PM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the Michelins on the G35 accounted for a lot of the increased lateral G's.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:04 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Bud: thanks for the reply. did you know the specs were different before you order them? I imagine they are exact same mounting since you have already installed them... what about the springs, are you still using stock 350z springs?
Old 11-30-2003, 02:31 AM
TCL

Originally posted by Boomer
..... I feel reasonably confident the Konis, a premium part, will be better than ........what will come w/the upgraded stock suspension.....
I'm thinking the same thing considering Koni's past history.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:39 AM
jmark

Originally posted by TCL
I'm thinking the same thing considering Koni's past history.
I agree. These are a performance upgrade not a replacement. They are warrantied for the life of your car too. Now if Koni will take BJ's minor changes into account in their production shocks we are all set.

Last edited by jmark; 11-30-2003 at 04:44 AM.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:21 PM
little_rod

OK, I have a question. If these use the same stock parts and you just replace the shocks, how is this a performance upgrade?? I see how they would improve a bit, but they are just dampeners. I really see this as a fix for the bouncy stock suspension and nothing else. If it increased cornering Gs, I would be more interested.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:55 PM
jmark

Koni Sport Shocks are tuned for performance & handling. They will do more than just fix the bounce.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:37 PM
Bud

Originally posted by jmark
I believe the Michelins on the G35 accounted for a lot of the increased lateral G's.
As soon as I have the time to check the lateral G's like it is I plan on switching to Michelin Pilots then I'll recheck.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Bud

Originally posted by Apexi350z
Bud: thanks for the reply. did you know the specs were different before you order them? I imagine they are exact same mounting since you have already installed them... what about the springs, are you still using stock 350z springs?
I knew the cars were "fraternal twins" sharing a lot of parts and there is one guy on the forum who put Z suspension on a G35 sedan so it was pretty much a no brainer that they would fit. I'm using Tein S-Tech springs but if I had changed the dampers first I doubt I would have felt the need to change the springs. If you lay the Z dampers and G35 dampers side by side the only way I could tell the difference is the last three digits of the part #
Old 11-30-2003, 03:12 PM
TCL

Originally posted by little_rod
OK, I have a question. If these use the same stock parts and you just replace the shocks, how is this a performance upgrade?? I see how they would improve a bit, but they are just dampeners. I really see this as a fix for the bouncy stock suspension and nothing else. If it increased cornering Gs, I would be more interested.
Minimally they should increase the amount of car control under rough road cornering situations.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:10 PM
Lateapex

Little_rod,

Dampers are the heart -- the most critical part -- of your suspension. Granted, on a smooth surface, the spring and swaybar combination will dictate the G-loads in steady-state mode but, for 'real-world' handling, which means controlling weight transfer during transitions (braking into turns, slaloms, etc.) on varying road surfaces, you really want the best dampers you can afford. If you talk to the guys who build Solo II mod cars, some of them will tell you that, in terms of components, the starting point for suspension tuning is a set of Penske (or equivalent) dampers.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:59 PM
little_rod

OK, I can see how it would help on rough road handling like the roads I drive. And unlike alot of people here, I will admit in what area I don't have specific knowledge in, and this maybe one of them. When I think of the word dampen, I think of just compression and rebound. That would be mainly for 'cushioning' on rough roads and such. With rebound, it is good to have it dampened right so that you can keep the tire on the pavement as much as possible in a rough turn. This is where I see the advantage of these dampeners. But in the real world, I am not going to challenge the limits of my car in a rough corner unless I just want to wreak my car, lol.

In reading what I just said, I can see how they can help cause they make sure that your tires are in contact with the road at all times. But at those prices, I don't see why you wouldn't buy a cheap coilover kit that improves your handling more. Maybe I am wrong, but I still see these as mostly a fix for the bounce and if I want a handling improvement, a coilover or even sways are a better choice.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:21 PM
Lateapex

Well, my real world is pretty decent public highways, Solo II, and lapping days; which dictate, for me, upgrading to a set of premium-quality, adjustable dampers. The Konis are estimated to be around $700, my springs were $275 and my swaybars were $500 -- $1475 altogether. That's several hundred less than a coilover set-up w/adjustable dampers. Happily, we have several routes to go with these things but, personally, I wouldn't buy aftermarket dampers that weren't adjustable, except possibly Bilsteins.

BTW, I didn't read what the latest ETA on the Koni's is -- anyone know?
Old 12-01-2003, 06:20 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by little_rod
OK, I can see how it would help on rough road handling like the roads I drive. And unlike alot of people here, I will admit in what area I don't have specific knowledge in, and this maybe one of them. When I think of the word dampen, I think of just compression and rebound. That would be mainly for 'cushioning' on rough roads and such. With rebound, it is good to have it dampened right so that you can keep the tire on the pavement as much as possible in a rough turn. This is where I see the advantage of these dampeners. But in the real world, I am not going to challenge the limits of my car in a rough corner unless I just want to wreak my car, lol.

In reading what I just said, I can see how they can help cause they make sure that your tires are in contact with the road at all times. But at those prices, I don't see why you wouldn't buy a cheap coilover kit that improves your handling more. Maybe I am wrong, but I still see these as mostly a fix for the bounce and if I want a handling improvement, a coilover or even sways are a better choice.
A cheap coilover set? THe worst thing I could do to change the ride. Several members have already said a coilover system should be the last thing on my list. My problem is the shitty ride and the car will handle quite well with Konis w/o changing my whole suspension. A cheap coilover set would exacerbate my problem, not help it.

The Konis will fix the bounce and a whole lot more in over the road driving by controlling the rebound, which is one of the things wrong with the suspension and they can be adjusted to give you a rock-hard ride if you want to go racing. You underestimate what quality struts/shocks can do for any car, including the Z.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:27 AM
jmark

Originally posted by Lateapex
Well, my real world is pretty decent public highways, Solo II, and lapping days; which dictate, for me, upgrading to a set of premium-quality, adjustable dampers. The Konis are estimated to be around $700, my springs were $275 and my swaybars were $500 -- $1475 altogether. That's several hundred less than a coilover set-up w/adjustable dampers. Happily, we have several routes to go with these things but, personally, I wouldn't buy aftermarket dampers that weren't adjustable, except possibly Bilsteins.

BTW, I didn't read what the latest ETA on the Koni's is -- anyone know?
ETA is early Spring '04 last I heard. BJ any updates on settings or release dates?
Old 12-01-2003, 03:26 PM
FLY BY Z

I hope they change the release date to Jan. 1st and ship to all of us first overnight insured and certified at a discount with free shipping and plenty of stickers.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:46 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
I hope they change the release date to Jan. 1st and ship to all of us first overnight insured and certified at a discount with free shipping and plenty of stickers.
PH, you are a dreamer, but its a nice dream I hope will come true. Even a part of it would be most welcome.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:51 PM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SACHS are also on their way!

co 350EVO.com
BJ
Old 12-01-2003, 05:55 PM
jmark

BJ,

How will they compare price & performance wise to the Koni SA's?
Old 12-01-2003, 06:04 PM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have no idea..dont even know when we a get the first prototype in. They were waiting for the same parts as Koni.

Quick Reply: Konis are on!