Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stance gr+ Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:26 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stance gr+ Review

I'm finally writing a review for my purchase, stance gr+ TRUE TYPE. Some of you guys know that i had some hard time with this coilover such as bounce ride. Today, i figured the bounce ride had nothing to do with the quality of the coilover. Because my car was too low with SPC A-arm (these arms are NOT for low riders), there was lack of suspension travel. Everything was fixed by raising the front a little bit to give more travel.If i want to go lower, i would need to get different arms.
So here's my little review. They are really cheap for how much they cost. I bought stance gr+, and SPC rear arms from THMotorsport. Great price matching, fast shipping and customer service
Installation was pretty straight forward. Take off the stock ones and replace with the new ones
Design wise, I love it so much..gold (collars) with black (shock body) always look amazing.
PROS: The handling has improved so much over stock. Firm cornering.
i say front dampening 10 and rear dampening 14 is comfortable for DD. If you set them to full stiff, they can be stiff enough to have some fun on a track.
CONS: The coilover would've been a perfect need/want for me if they had harder dampening and stiffer springs. Sometimes, i get clunking noise from the rear. It might be because i have TRUE type. IIRC, the some TRUE type owners have creaking noise in the rear but i get clunking noise instead. It only makes the noise occasionally. I can't really think of any other CONS..well, breaking the collars loose was hell but all the coilovers are like that. (i think)
If you are short on money but want firm handling, then Stance is the one

Last edited by JDMStanced; 12-21-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMStanced
PROS: The handling has improved so much over stock. Firm cornering.
Are you sure? How are you compairing it?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:05 PM
JDMStanced

There's a road i always take whenever i go to school. After driving on the same road couple of time after installation, I felt the improvement in handling over stock ..I drove as aggressively as possible in the rain.
Since i don't track my car, there's no track time i can give you to compare before and after installation.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Shawz1102

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much was it shipped to ur doors? i'm looking for a budget coilover after my stock shocks die... was thinking tein basics
Old 12-21-2010, 09:40 PM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by Shawz1102
how much was it shipped to ur doors? i'm looking for a budget coilover after my stock shocks die... was thinking tein basics
I paid around $1100. They have great price matching.
I originally was going to get the tein basic too, but why not pay little more and get the one with dampening adjustment?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:48 AM
350z_Boi

You could buy the helper springs to stiffen the dampening. Stance sells it around $100 or less.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:07 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by 350z_Boi
You could buy the helper springs to stiffen the dampening. Stance sells it around $100 or less.
Helper springs to stiffen dampening. You really have no clue do you.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Adon

Originally Posted by terrasmak
haha, maybe he just worded it wrong, cut him some slack
Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Helper Spring http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/cs100-2.5.htm
For use with any 2.5" ID racing spring. This "helper" spring will keep tension on your main spring while the car is lifted for service. These keep the springs from becoming unseated when not under compression.
Tender Spring http://www.truechoice.com/products.asp?dept=1214
Eibach ERS Double - Spring System
Eibach has developed the ERS Double - Spring System that relies on a Main and Tender spring concept that provides a softer initial rate when both springs are compressed together, then delivers the desired firmer ending rate once the Tender spring closes completely. The Main spring has a linear-rate characteristic and determines the final rate of the system. The Tender springs are available in a variety of linear-rate as well as progressive-rate characteristics and determine the initial rate of the system.

A Helper spring is used to prevent the Main spring from becoming loose in the spring seat when the wheel is at full droop. The Helper spring, unlike the Tender spring, has very little spring rate, and therefore has no effect on the suspension characteristics of the vehicle. Up to 50mm of spring-to-perch gap can be covered with the use of a Helper spring.

A coupling Spacer is used to connect Main and Tender springs. Eibach offers both inside and outside diameter coupling Spacers depending upon the dimension and function of the specific damper utilized.

Dampening has to with the shock, some shocks have adjustable dampening, some are 1 way others are up to 4 way. Now if your shocking can not dampen the spring your using, you have 2 choices. First get your shock revalved or replaced with one that can. Second is change your spring rate, either up or down, to what the shock is set up to handle.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:59 AM
350z_Boi

hey buddy your helper spring that you put on a link too is for a Porsche. So before you bash me out. I was try to "Imply" that maximizing articulation on cars with minimum suspension travel is what the STANCE HELPER springs does when cars are low that has minimum suspension travel due to his car being low and that's why even if he maxed out the dampening to stiffing the coils it isn't stiff enough because the rate for the springs are 12/5k and the helper spings helps to stiffing the ride more and from bottoming out.. Like i said that link you have there is a different helper spring because im pretty sure he doesnt have a porsche and his thread clearly says "Stance gr+Review!! So holla at cha boi and Read!!

http://stancecoilovers.com/product/s...pring-set-1.7k

Last edited by 350z_Boi; 12-29-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I read and now i am "hollering at my boy"

Good review
Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 AM
350z_Boi

Originally Posted by Junkster
I read and now i am "hollering at my boy"

Good review
Haha you just made me laught but thanks man. Just trying to help out people instead of insualting them.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:51 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

hey buddy your helper spring that you put on a link too is for a Porsche. So before you bash me out. I was try to "Imply" that maximizing articulation on cars with minimum suspension travel is what the STANCE HELPER springs does when cars are low that has minimum suspension travel due to his car being low and that's why even if he maxed out the dampening to stiffing the coils it isn't stiff enough because the rate for the springs are 12/5k and the helper spings helps to stiffing the ride more and from bottoming out.. Like i said that link you have there is a different helper spring because im pretty sure he doesnt have a porsche and his thread clearly says "Stance gr+Review!! So holla at cha boi and Read!!

http://stancecoilovers.com/product/s...pring-set-1.7k
A 2.5 or 2.25 ID helper spring for use on Coilovers (ie Stance, BC, Tein ) is a generic spring. It can be used on any car, Nissan, Porsche, Toyota or even a radical. The second link i posted is actually Eibach, and lists the use of both springs, not car specific. Basically your back in the clueless section again, start reading.

Last edited by terrasmak; 12-29-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:02 AM
350z_Boi

A 2.5 or 2.25 ID helper spring for use on Coilovers (ie Stance, BC, Tein ) is a generic spring. It can be used on any car, Nissan, Porsche, Toyota or even a radical. The second link i posted is actually Eibach, and lists the use of both springs, not car specific. Basically your back in the clueless section again, start reading.
well whatever you say buddy. I ain't in here to argue with you, so if that's your opinion then that's your opinion. You can go right ahead and buy that if you want to. I'm here trying to help out another fellow Z owner cause I have a friend in Vegas that difts his 240 and is sponsered by stance and he recommend me the stance helper spring due to the stance gr+ stiffness isn't stiff enough cause of the spring rate. But go right ahead and insult people.

PEACE I'm OUT!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:29 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

well whatever you say buddy. I ain't in here to argue with you, so if that's your opinion then that's your opinion. You can go right ahead and buy that if you want to. I'm here trying to help out another fellow Z owner cause I have a friend in Vegas that difts his 240 and is sponsered by stance and he recommend me the stance helper spring due to the stance gr+ stiffness isn't stiff enough cause of the spring rate. But go right ahead and insult people.

PEACE I'm OUT!
http://stance-usa.com/sus/products/h...helper-springs Stance helper spring, its identical to the "Porsche" spring i posted. Still has nothing to do with stiffness. My opinion, its not opinion, its the truth. Sorry you and your drifter buddy can not accept the truth. If you need a stiffer spring rate, you need to buy stiffer springs, you set they ride height, if you have no tension on the spring (free floating) you install a helper spring to hold it in position when the suspension goes to full droop.

Please call Stance and ask what the spring rate is on their helper spring, tell them what you want to do, then post back in this thread.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:52 AM
350z_Boi

http://stance-usa.com/sus/products/h...helper-springs Stance helper spring, its identical to the "Porsche" spring i posted. Still has nothing to do with stiffness. My opinion, its not opinion, its the truth. Sorry you and your drifter buddy can not accept the truth. If you need a stiffer spring rate, you need to buy stiffer springs, you set they ride height, if you have no tension on the spring (free floating) you install a helper spring to hold it in position when the suspension goes to full droop.

Please call Stance and ask what the spring rate is on their helper spring, tell them what you want to do, then post back in this thread.
back to the top. Like I said the spring isn't stiff enough so the helper spring helps it from bottoming out the coils as "if" you read my previous posts and I literally corrected myself!! Damn son. You a Internet bully? Your *** need to chill out!!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Junkster

Lol you guys are funny...

1) Helper Springs
2) Tender Springs

Helper springs are designed to completely compress at normal ride height, and used to maintain load on the main spring at full travel. Once the helper spring is closed it is inactive.

Tender springs are part of a dual rate spring system. The tender spring is open at normal load, and therefore it is still active, and closes at a predetermined load.

I hear people arguing about this stuff all the time, usually they are arguing about two completely different things. And alot of people seem to get the names reversed Tender vs Helper

Thats just my Opinion, prove me wrong if I am.

Last edited by Junkster; 12-29-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Junkster

I have to go with Terras on this one as i really dont know much about valving on shocks...But it would only make sense that dampening would only be changed by modifying/repairing or replacing the shocks
Old 12-29-2010, 05:10 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Junkster
Lol you guys are funny...

1) Helper Springs
2) Tender Springs

Helper springs are designed to completely compress at normal ride height, and used to maintain load on the main spring at full travel. Once the helper spring is closed it is inactive.

Tender springs are part of a dual rate spring system. The tender spring is open at normal load, and therefore it is still active, and closes at a predetermined load.

I hear people arguing about this stuff all the time, usually they are arguing about two completely different things. And alot of people seem to get the names reversed Tender vs Helper

Thats just my Opinion, prove me wrong if I am.
Not an opinion, you are correct. Thanks for backing me up.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:36 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

back to the top. Like I said the spring isn't stiff enough so the helper spring helps it from bottoming out the coils as "if" you read my previous posts and I literally corrected myself!! Damn son. You a Internet bully? Your *** need to chill out!!
Waiting for the latest, still trying to figure out how a helper spring will little to no spring rate helps you keep from bottming out.

Quick Reply: Stance gr+ Review