Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Dblock55

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Brake issue

Hey all, gonna get straight to point.. my rear drivers side brake pad is wearing like crazy!!!! its gone by the time any of the others have had time to eat away 10%.... the pad thats being worn away is the one on the opposite side of the caliper... so ive always been told that if its that side then the sliding pins are seized... so i took them out sanded them and polished them then greased em up and made sure the pads can slide nicely on them and they do... put new pads on and am getting the same wear.... the caliper seems to come in and out pretty easily.... should i rebuild the caliper for the heck of it or could something else be causing this wear?? im stumped any help is appreciated.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Arvin89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hows the rotor?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Dblock55

the rotor is not in the best of shape considering that pad got down to the bare metal last track day... but before that it was good and it was still happening...
Old 01-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Chris_B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dblock55
Hey all, gonna get straight to point.. my rear drivers side brake pad is wearing like crazy!!!! its gone by the time any of the others have had time to eat away 10%.... the pad thats being worn away is the one on the opposite side of the caliper... so ive always been told that if its that side then the sliding pins are seized... so i took them out sanded them and polished them then greased em up and made sure the pads can slide nicely on them and they do... put new pads on and am getting the same wear.... the caliper seems to come in and out pretty easily.... should i rebuild the caliper for the heck of it or could something else be causing this wear?? im stumped any help is appreciated.
Most likely, it is either caused by a piston sticking in the caliper or by a collapsed rubber brake line. If you live where it snows and they salt the roads, the piston is the first place I'd look.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Dblock55

Originally Posted by Chris_B
Most likely, it is either caused by a piston sticking in the caliper or by a collapsed rubber brake line. If you live where it snows and they salt the roads, the piston is the first place I'd look.
thx a bunch... didnt want to take it apart until i knew that there is a possibility it could be the piston... i live in new york and they do dump a bunch of salt around here in the winter.... the seals are like 40 bux... dunno y they are so expensive... will let you knwo how that goes...