Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Caliper, HELP?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM
0d5r3i5f0tZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper, HELP?!

looking for some help again guys.

new user to the forum, sorry dont have to much profile info or any pics up yet, just been swamped with work and trying to fix the z.

long story short wrecked my z this past turkey day and had to let it sit for winter with no money to fix it. finally saved up and replaced all of what i thought i was needed but am currently stuck on assembling the right rear brake caliper. the assembly has been off the car since the accident and now the piston is rusted and stuck in place.

wondering on thought of what to do, possible to rebuild? rather have some insight before i f*** anything up
Old 04-01-2011, 05:38 PM
3-fifty-WeEe
Banned

if the caliper is on with the pads and rotor and you cant get it off ... first thing to do is get ur flathead and pry from the "window" . so stick ur screwdriver on the outside pad and pry against the piston. if its stuck... unbolt the cradle.. get some channel locks and squeeze the piston in. if still stuck.. take your torch and heat up the caliper NOT TOO MUCH then it'll break free.. OR if still stuck in place replace it with a new one. when replacing make sure you squeeze off the brake hose going to the caliper banjo bolt. yee haw good luck!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:50 PM
0d5r3i5f0tZ

First question how do you close a thread? Have two going on and don't wanna catch grief, aint the easiest using a phonon the road with limited service lol

But appreciate that man, I have the caliper assembly off and apart and the actuall piston is froze in the compressed position. It's not all that rusty or nasty looking but when I try pulling it out by hand it doesn't budge and havent figured out anything useful to get a grip on it inside. At my job I have all sorts of sand blasting, polishing and parts washing equipment, but just not sure as what to do. Would like to try an stay away from replacing it and save the chunk of change for the big brake kit in may but if last resort then I'd rather have a working car till then. Thanks guys
Old 04-02-2011, 01:23 PM
0d5r3i5f0tZ

waiting on new dust cover, advanced ****ed up and gave me the wrong size so having to order offline now, not excited about having to wait now. pics and info up after finished.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:29 PM
snuffy11

Well, My caliper problem is also on the right rear. found out today that for some reason, the piston seems frozen. I am thinking that I will have to replace the entire caliper or rebuild, Not sure which is better or less expensive. So far all i can find online are upgraded kits but no oem calipers so far.. Any suggestions? I fear that I will end up having to go to the local Nissan (ripoff) dealer and just bite the bullet on this one..
Old 04-12-2011, 08:19 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hook it back up to the car, and step on the brakes. It'll probably come right out.

You'll need to put a block of something in the caliper to keep it from coming all the way out and making a huge mess.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
Hook it back up to the car, and step on the brakes. It'll probably come right out.

You'll need to put a block of something in the caliper to keep it from coming all the way out and making a huge mess.
+1, you beat me to it. Hydro pressure FTW
Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 AM
snuffy11

Thanks guys for the info.. turned out that the piston was shot.. sooooooooo, I ordered a replacement from Z1 and put it on over the weekend.. yeaaaaaaaaaahhh,,, i can roll again without feeling as if I were pulling a piano behind the car...

Thanks again..