Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Hardlines-vs-Braided lines

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:22 AM
YoungBB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardlines-vs-Braided lines

I was hoping someone could help me on here that has better knowledge about brake lines and what's better. I'm doing the Brembo upgrade on my Z and the kit I purchased didn't come with the hard lines. I've done some research and spent a few hours on the phone w/ AP, Goodrich, Stoptech, and a few other brands/companies trying to figure out a solution. A few of the guys I spoke to told me that the OE hard lines are better than any braided line since they will not expand at all. Some guys told me that the braided were better because they would give better feel and response. I ordered the braided lines for the Brembo equipped Z and have those which are the ones that meet between the two hard lines. I'm up in the air now because I'm not sure if whether to order the hard lines from the dealer or send the ones I currently have back and go with the braided lines from the bleeder line to the caliper. I can get the braided lines for about $60 plus shipping (any of them) and the hard lines for about $20 at the dealer (really good hook up). What do you guys think is the best option? This is going to be a temporary kit until I save up enough for some Endless or Rotora's. Any suggestions would help since I've had the brakes for about a month now and it's killing me to just have them sit there.

I searched on the forum but kept getting the DIY threads.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:40 AM
twistiert

you need braided "flexible" lines from the body to the calipers. hardlines from the the abs motor to where the connect to the braided lines. Is that what you were looking for?
Old 04-14-2011, 07:53 AM
drivessidewayz

^^

I haven't heard of the entire system being hard lines.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:58 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think you want some 'flex' when hyd lines are attached to moving parts. Hard lines are good when they are attached to things that have little to no movement.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:09 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Put hard lines everywhere. No flex will give awesome pedal feel. Please youtube the first test drive thanks.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:29 AM
YoungBB

Originally Posted by twistiert
you need braided "flexible" lines from the body to the calipers. hardlines from the the abs motor to where the connect to the braided lines. Is that what you were looking for?
I'm aware i need that and would be best. My question though is why would they say that swapping to a complete braided line would be better then just sticking with the hardline from that point out? Does it make a difference? Does it actually feel better? I would think hard line would be best but that through me completely off track.

Originally Posted by drivessidewayz
^^

I haven't heard of the entire system being hard lines.
Completely agree. I know that the car has the hard line that drops down from the bleeder which follows with the rubber lines into the caliper on non Brembo and hard line to rubber line to hard again with Brembo.

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
I would think you want some 'flex' when hyd lines are attached to moving parts. Hard lines are good when they are attached to things that have little to no movement.
Completely agree! My question though is why would some of them tell me that swapping the hard line from the caliper to a braided line will be better? (after the rubber of course)

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
Put hard lines everywhere. No flex will give awesome pedal feel. Please youtube the first test drive thanks.
Come on guys; let's hear it for the smart *** that wears a helmet!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Just do flex from the caliper to the hard line is wheel well. Simple, easy and you will never be able to tell the difference. No one to include Emerson Fidipaldi will be able to tell the different with the extra 2 inches of hard line replaced with braided flex line.

Why would you want crappy *** Rotora or over priced GayDM Endless stuff later?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 AM
jmahad01

You have to plan for suspension compression and rebound in front and back. Also the steering in the front. I don't see how it would be possible to make a hardline do that. Maybe some swivel joints?? Whats the reasoning behind wanting this when most people are satisfied with braided SS lines?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:11 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by jmahad01
You have to plan for suspension compression and rebound in front and back. Also the steering in the front. I don't see how it would be possible to make a hardline do that. Maybe some swivel joints?? Whats the reasoning behind wanting this when most people are satisfied with braided SS lines?
Most people to include you don't really have a clue what is actually going on here!!!!! Reading comprehension, and knowing something about the material help a lot.

Originally Posted by YoungBB
I ordered the braided lines for the Brembo equipped Z and have those which are the ones that meet between the two hard lines.
All the people that responded, did you know that the Brembo Z has about 2 to 3 inches of hard line coming out of the caliper before it goes to the rubber line, then the rubber line connects to the hardline in the wheel well.

Last edited by terrasmak; 04-14-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 AM
jmahad01

nvm

Last edited by jmahad01; 04-14-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

WTF is that supposed to mean. He does not say if he wants to go all the way to the caliper or not.
He is asking if he should run the braided lines that connect to the hard line in the wheel well directly to the caliper or run the braided lines that connect the hard line in the wheel well to the OEM hardline that is connected to the caliper. If he does the version to the OEM hardline on the caliper, he needs to order the OEM hardline from the dealership because his Brembo's did not come with it when he bought them used.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:27 AM
jmahad01

Whats the reasoning behind the oem hardline on the brembo's? just to position the line better?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
He is asking if he should run the braided lines that connect to the hard line in the wheel well directly to the caliper or run the braided lines that connect the hard line in the wheel well to the OEM hardline that is connected to the caliper. If he does the version to the OEM hardline on the caliper, he needs to order the OEM hardline from the dealership because his Brembo's did not come with it when he bought them used.
I see now!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Whats the reasoning behind the oem hardline on the brembo's? just to position the line better?
Could be a DOT, JCI, TUV or some other standard do to the Brembo fitting or something else we all don't know about. It may even be just an adapter to let Nissan run the same set of brake lines to normal or brembo brakes. I'll have to search for a pic.

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...bo-brakes.html Found some pucs

Last edited by terrasmak; 04-14-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Added link for pics.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:19 AM
YoungBB

Terra... You're completely correct and seem to be the only who understands and knows how the original system looks and works. I figured the same when it came to the 3-4 inches of hard line to braided. I just wasn't clear as to why they would suggest that the braided line would be better than a hard line (of course besides sales). Either way I just picked up the hard lines and am installing them tomorrow. Eventually when I upgrade I'll have to go with full braided. Thanks for the help and clearing that up.

What do you suggest besides Rotora's and Endless? I was personally thinking of just going with the Concept Z brake upgrade since when put up next to some of the other kits it's actually a bigger caliper system.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:28 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

What do you suggest besides Rotora's and Endless? I was personally thinking of just going with the Concept Z brake upgrade since when put up next to some of the other kits it's actually a bigger caliper system.
Wilwood or Stoptech would be the two, the CZP kit is fine if you hardly hit the track.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:53 PM
YoungBB

I had Stoptech's before; wanted to try something different this time around. Not a big fan of Wilwood though. Th ekit would just be for looks for the time being either way
Old 04-15-2011, 04:47 PM
R350Zz33

Come on guys; let's hear it for the smart *** that wears a helmet!!!
he don't need a helmet he's from ny
Old 04-15-2011, 04:51 PM
YoungBB

Originally Posted by R350Zz33
he don't need a helmet he's from ny
So am I; and not from the burbs. The heights, 183 and Broadway
Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 PM
R350Zz33

so why you in florida theres old people there

Quick Reply: Hardlines-vs-Braided lines