Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brakes Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:32 PM
0350Zz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Question

Yesterday i went to inspect my brake pads/rotors and noticed that i still had about 80% on the front pads and about 60% on the rears while rotors were doing fine all around. Today i decided to bleed the brakes on my 03 350z. The first time i bled them today, i didnt bleed them correctly and there was still air in the system, the second time, i bled them "perfectly" and the pedal was firm and responded well under normal driving conditions. i wanted to test the brakes however to make sure they were working well so after about a half hour of driving i decided to slam on the brakes at about 60, and the pedal felt as is the pads were "grinding" but didnt really have much vibration. it didnt feel right but its difficult to explain. does anyone have any idea what the issue may be? i also got bored recently and decided to paint my calipers....is it possible that it may just be the paint on the caliper having an effect under more aggressive braking? im going to test the brakes a bit more tomorrow when the roads are dry and see how it goes. The feel at first surprised me so i hadnt really played with it much more especially since cops in the area love to hassle me...
Old 04-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Nick Mystic

I don't think it's such a good idea to work on brakes if you are new to it and aren't sure what you're doing. Or at least see if your buddy will let you work on his car first. Just kidding about that last bit. As per your description, it's hard to tell from what you described since "grinding" covers a lot of ground. Painting the calipers in and of itself shouldn't affect anything unless you got some over spray on your rotors. I suppose it could be possible that over spray on the rotors could have caused some contamination on the pads that might make a grinding sound. Lots of things to check out. You might have to pull the pads off to see if they are glazed from the paint over spray. One last word of warning - if by "test the brakes some more tomorrow when the roads are dry" you mean you plan to go out and drive around on roads with traffic to see if your brakes work - well you might want to rethink that one a bit.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:58 AM
onthe3rdday

Bed/burnish the brakes and then they should feel better
Old 04-28-2011, 02:13 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What made you think the brakes needed bleeding in the first place?

Maybe slamming on the brakes activated the anti-lock feature, and that gave you the strange feeling.

Sounds like you need to have your car checked by a competent shop, fixed if necessary, and just leave it alone.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:26 AM
0350Zz

I knew what i was doing when bleeding the brakes, and i removed the calipers to paint them. It was the abs...