Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stock Upgrade or Brembo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:29 AM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2 track days a year? You can probably get away with the OEM's and a better pad. The biggest benefit of Brembos is pad selection. Coming from the 06+ brakes to Brembos there was very little difference even on track days. I was just tired of not being able to run a high temp pad like Porterfields or Raybestos in 06+ sizes.
Like others have said... the diameters are almost the same... just more heat capacity due to thicker rotors. However, you can bandaid it with pads, fluid, and ducts on your oem brakes and be just fine for those 1-2 days a year.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 PM
djwatts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
2 track days a year? You can probably get away with the OEM's and a better pad. The biggest benefit of Brembos is pad selection. Coming from the 06+ brakes to Brembos there was very little difference even on track days. I was just tired of not being able to run a high temp pad like Porterfields or Raybestos in 06+ sizes.
Like others have said... the diameters are almost the same... just more heat capacity due to thicker rotors. However, you can bandaid it with pads, fluid, and ducts on your oem brakes and be just fine for those 1-2 days a year.
That's what I decided to end up going with since the seller fell through on the sale,

Current plan:
Steel lines
Stoptech brake pads(Any thoughts on these)
And either motul or blue racing brake fluid.
With current stock rotors until they give away
Old 05-10-2011, 12:35 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Have you looked into the 370z Brakes? Akebono makes them. Seam to be a great alterative.

Chris
Old 05-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Moonlightthecat

Originally Posted by NA&CH
Have you looked into the 370z Brakes? Akebono makes them. Seam to be a great alterative.

Chris
Jumping in here to say the same thing, here is a link to the pageConcept Z performance Akebono 350z packages

From what I am aware, concept Z is one of the only places that sells the bracket to bolt the front caliper up to the 350z, rear is just a direct bolt on, $1744 for new rotors calipers brake pads and lines isnt to bad of a deal to me.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 PM
djwatts

Ive done some research on this kit as well looks very tempting, I'll let you guys know what the outcome is and I'll probably do a diy with pictures

Originally Posted by Moonlightthecat
Jumping in here to say the same thing, here is a link to the pageConcept Z performance Akebono 350z packages

From what I am aware, concept Z is one of the only places that sells the bracket to bolt the front caliper up to the 350z, rear is just a direct bolt on, $1744 for new rotors calipers brake pads and lines isnt to bad of a deal to me.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:46 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I have brembos and I am looking at that "upgrade"? Brake guys can we call this, that?

Chris
Old 05-10-2011, 06:35 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NA&CH
I have brembos and I am looking at that "upgrade"? Brake guys can we call this, that?

Chris
Depends who you ask

They look pretty but I prefer OEM Brembos due to pad selection and availablity of 2-piece rotors. Plus, there was the whole overheating discussion and magazine testing issues... The 14" kit may be better someday but I'm not sure its there yet. My money is still on Brembo.

Daily use and bling status? Go Akebono 14"