Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Weird Clunking Sound on Freeway?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:25 PM
JDM555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Clunking Sound on Freeway?

Hey guys. About 3 weeks ago, I got a little carried away and was going around 90-95 without noticing it, and heard a slight clunking in the front right wheel well. As soon as I slowed down, it went away. I didn't think much of it, but ever since, it's been appearing at slower speeds. It appeared at 80, then 70, and now it appears at 60-65. It sounds like a nasty clunk, the car is stable and is fine, but it has that clunking sound.

Since it keeps coming at a lower speed, I assume it's something that is getting loose. I took it to a friends shop and looked it over, the sway bar over the engine is tight, the 3 12mm top nuts on my Stance Coilovers are tight, the big 17mm nut on top of the actual coilover strut, is tight. I used the stance coilover tools to make sure the rings were tight along the spring perch and the bottom bucket, the 17mm holding the strut on the bottom is tight. The endlinks and sway bar seem solid.

I'm really clueless as what the sound is.

About 7 months ago, I installed Tanabe F/R sway bars, Stance Coilovers, and JasonZ-Ya's custom rear toe arms. But I'm really concerned about this clunking. Does anyone suggest checking something specific that might be loose? Maybe it isn't suspension related and there is something else in the engine bay that is loose? I'll try to get a video of the sound.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:48 PM
AuAltima3.5

Maybe bad transverse link bushings?

Could you tell us more about what happens when it makes the noise? Are you hitting bumps? Braking? Accelerating?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:54 PM
JDM555

Just driving on a highway over 60. No bumps in the road, no accelerating/decelerating, turning, etc. Just driving over 60mph. The noise makes me want to kill a baby horse.

It's clunking, and it sounds like it's metal. It's not very very loud, but it's loud enough to hear it well with the windows up. I think a movie is the best thing. It might be a bushing, but will a bushing cause problems with clunking metal sounds only on the highway?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Z_enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after i installed my BC coils i hear a clunk when i hit mid sized bumps. i was told it was my sway bar end links. my noise is loud as well and i could understand why they clunk because when u drop your car considerably it puts that part under a huge stress. i found that out trying to bolt it back up lol.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 PM
JDM555

Well, it's not that type of clunk. I don't get clunks over mid sized bumps. This noise ONLY appears on the highway with speeds over 60. I guess not necessarily on the highway, just going over 55-60. It's a constant clunk. Not just random CLUNK every now and then. If I speed up, the clunking gets faster.

I seriously have no effin idea what it is, and it's pissing me off. I think I might be forced to go back to stock struts and springs. I don't feel like redoing that installation and then getting another alignment.

Any more suggestions?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:40 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,650 Posts

LCA bushings would be the first place i would look.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:48 PM
JDM555

So just checking the bushings around the front right to see if they are torn? I will check it out. With the clunking it's making, the bushing should be in horrible condition and easily visible. Anything else to check? Thanks btw.
John
Old 07-28-2011, 11:10 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check all the fasteners on the plastic shields under the car and in the fender well.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:37 PM
JDM555

I couldn't get a chance to check 100%, but for the most part, everything was on tight. Plus, the clunking sounds like metal, I don't think metal would make that same sound. It might be the bushing, I'm out of clues on what else it could be. But I'm hoping I can get everyone's help and I can pinpoint it rather than take it in to a random shop and have them try to find it.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:23 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

i was gna say LCAs as well, but this makes me think youre having this issue becuase of wind my friend.

I suggest running w out a hood and have a friend sit on the engine on the FWY to listen.

jk.

But seriously, id agree that it sounds like you have a loose tray or something.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:06 PM
davide

Originally Posted by winchman
Check all the fasteners on the plastic shields under the car and in the fender well.
Something similar happened to me and it turned out to be the plastic shield under the car. Part of it had sheared away. I had my wife follow me and she could see it flapping under the car. Took it off and the sound went away. I finally replaced it today.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:49 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Almost sounds like ur describing a wheel bearing. Is it like a whoomp sound. Like a deep sound. That'd be my guess if it changes with speed. Jack that side up and grab opposite sides of the tire top and bottom and side to side and shake. It should be tight with no loose ness.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:01 PM
shakuya88

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
Almost sounds like ur describing a wheel bearing. Is it like a whoomp sound. Like a deep sound. That'd be my guess if it changes with speed. Jack that side up and grab opposite sides of the tire top and bottom and side to side and shake. It should be tight with no loose ness.
I was thinking that too since it's a constant sound. Is it actually a clunk or more oh a harsh grinding? Video would help
Old 07-31-2011, 09:05 PM
JDM555

It's a clunking noise. There is no grinding whatsoever. It sounds annoying, but like something is very loose, so I get scared to speed and have to slow down.

I'll check the wheel bearing, hopefully I can pinpoint the problem quickly because it's hard to use the car when I'm only limited to 55-60mph lol. I'll check it out and see if it's the case, but anymore suggestions? Just throwing out any idea is better than nothing. Thanks guys.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:19 PM
JDM555

Ok. Today I was just wandering over to the garage and decided to take another peek under the car. I noticed that something was hanging down. Turns out it was one of the stupid plastic covers, 1 of the bolts fell off, and another was very loose. I flapped it up and down and it made that metal noise from the bolt to the metal it was bolted to. I tightened it, and it seems like the third area isn't even held by a bolt, it seems like it's suppose to be attached to the car and somehow it broke off, so I'll try to zip tie it to something until I can get it on my friends rack. Hopefully the sound goes away!

Thanks for all the help, and I hope it's something that small and not another problem.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:00 PM
davide

Originally Posted by JDM555
Ok. Today I was just wandering over to the garage and decided to take another peek under the car. I noticed that something was hanging down. Turns out it was one of the stupid plastic covers, 1 of the bolts fell off, and another was very loose. I flapped it up and down and it made that metal noise from the bolt to the metal it was bolted to. I tightened it, and it seems like the third area isn't even held by a bolt, it seems like it's suppose to be attached to the car and somehow it broke off, so I'll try to zip tie it to something until I can get it on my friends rack. Hopefully the sound goes away!

Thanks for all the help, and I hope it's something that small and not another problem.
You're welcome. If it's the same loose panel as mine, it's held on with three screws and two clips or something.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:22 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope the loose plastic shield turns out to be the problem and you can get it fixed without too much trouble or expense.

The shield under the engine is usually removed for oil and filter changes, and it's easy for the fasteners to get misplaced or not tightened properly. The shield in the center further back isn't removed for routine service, but might be removed when the car is aligned or when work needs to be done on the steering gear.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:46 PM
JDM555

Yeah. I'm surprised I didn't notice that with the wheel off and car jacked up lol. Wow. I'm not sure if we are talking about the same panels with the 3 screws and 2 clips, but this is the area that seems to be the problem.

I noticed 1 screw to the farthest part, nearest to the wheel, and then the part that goes the farthest toward the front of the car, was hanging down a few inches. That kept flapping. When I tightened the loose bolt, I got the noise, but it was 100% not metal/metal sound anymore. It was just the plastic flapping. So that is some relief. I went to pick up some 18" Heavy Duty Zipties and I'm going to Ziptie the HELL out of it lol.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:27 PM
JDM555

Well. I ziptied that bad boy with the 18" cable ties. And the sound is gone. Yay.

I'm so glad it was a minor problem and nothing else. Thanks again for all the help. I appreciate it!