Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

CRAZY front camber! Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 02:26 PM
shaddy-z.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry CRAZY front camber! Why?

Alright so I have a situation here. I've gotten an alignment already awhile ago, my toe is set good my tires have been doing great with no excessive wear etc.

INFO: My setup is 18x10.5 +15 all the way around with 245/40 tires. I have a 20 mm spacer in rear for an effective offset of -5. -3.8 degrees of camber in the rear which is somewhat normal, nothing too crazy and i have a camber kit. Lowered on coilovers, my front fenders are about 24 inches from the ground to give an idea of height.

PROBLEM: My fronts however are a -4.2 degrees. What is this blasphemy!? This causes my fronts to look pretty damn sunken in, which I hate and it's a little too much. I recently just put my wheel/tire setup on my friends Z and it looked pretty flush with some great looking poke. Well then why does it look like this on mine!? I am running stock arms in the front which attributes to the camber being kind of bad but even then my friends Z was almost the same height as mine and it looked fantastic on his Z.

SOLUTION: Could be bushings be blown? Should I just suck it up and buy A-Arms? Or could I fix this easily? I would just like some ideas before I take it to a local shop and have them charge me an arm and a leg for everything.

Btw if you have any hate about my setup I don't want to hear it I couldn't care less. I just want some help on why my camber is bad. Thank you
Old 11-23-2011, 02:37 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You need aftermarket A-arms to adjust front camber.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:43 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaddy-Z.
My setup is 18x10.5 +15 all the way around with 245/40 tires.
245 tires on 10½" wheels, that's gotta look funky.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:50 PM
shaddy-z.

I know that aftermarket A-Arms will allow me to adjust my camber, but why is it that my buddy's Z doesn't camber in when mine does? Just curiosity that I might have other problems.

And it's just different strokes for different folks. It's stretched, but not that stretched.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:33 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It might be more noticeable due to the offset and tire stretch.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:59 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Where to start, raise the car up , you will get less camber. Second put control arms on it, lets you adjust camber. Last install some real tires, you can fit 275's up front, that would be a mild stretch.

Oh i forgot, your compression arm bushings will also be destroyed. Any lowered Z/G will shred the compression arm bushing, a slammed car will destroy it real fast.

Last edited by terrasmak; 11-23-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:02 PM
dtsj350z

check hub?
Old 11-23-2011, 04:24 PM
shaddy-z.

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Where to start, raise the car up , you will get less camber. Second put control arms on it, lets you adjust camber. Last install some real tires, you can fit 275's up front, that would be a mild stretch.

Oh i forgot, your compression arm bushings will also be destroyed. Any lowered Z/G will shred the compression arm bushing, a slammed car will destroy it real fast.
My car already had camber issues before I lowered it. But this is the type of answer I was looking for. I'm guess the previous owner also had it lowered. I will search more on these bushings. Will the bushing not be replaced if I replaced my Upper A-Arm? Or are they totally separate things?

And I will be going with a meatier tire setup next, but still as low I'm going to do some pulling soon so I can still have negative offset but less camber.

EDIT:
Searched around, and found that the UCA is needed for sure right now because I need to adjust my camber. However the compression arm bushing is one of two LCA's and will probably need to be replaced as well. My car does lead to the left easily and my steering wheel is off a little. These bushings can be purchased from Whiteline or SBC, with whiteline being the cheaper at $80. Can anyone confirm to make sure? Thanks.

Last edited by shaddy-z.; 11-23-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:56 AM
Z Professional

Bushings will lead to you not being able to hold an alignment, help with the oddness of ur steering and all that crap.. But here's the thing. We are about the same height except I'm running alot meatier tires. Something to be considerate of is the fact that if you run any bushings that are the same material softness as oem, you're just gonna tear through them hard at that height. You'll have to keep goin at em with new Control arm bushings. IT's part of being lowered but I wouldn't just get the cheapest bushings to throw up in there. Do your research hard before you waste money.

Lastly...I don't know man. like I said I'm at 24 1/2 with 19s running 295 /30 in the rear and 255/35 so the suspension geometry is just about the same (if I was stretched wit mad camber my fender to ground would be alot lowere but the geometry would be similar). Bro we got a sports car. Just my 2 cents but u don't feel ur lacking serious handling and acceleration wit such crazy camber? I'm at 1.8 in the rears and when I'm go carting my car I run wit about 2.5 up front. and about 2.0 around town just chillin.

Look into UCA's. Don't cheap out. It pays dividends. Sorry for the book but i've spent the last 3 months dealing with this stuff.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:27 AM
SA Z-boi

Check Your ball joints, lower control arm bushings and tie rods.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:59 PM
shaddy-z.

Update: Today I was working on basic stuff and was cleaning the headlights and adjusting coilovers, and decided to give the bushings a look and tried to look real close but there were not initial tears or rips. Maybe it could just be my alignment? We'll see wednesday when I take it down the pro tuning and have them align my car and inspect everything.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:03 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Shaddy-Z.
Update: Today I was working on basic stuff and was cleaning the headlights and adjusting coilovers, and decided to give the bushings a look and tried to look real close but there were not initial tears or rips. Maybe it could just be my alignment? We'll see wednesday when I take it down the pro tuning and have them align my car and inspect everything.
Do to the design of the compression arm bushing, it is hard to tell if it is blown. You have a lowered Z or G, the bushing is blown.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:52 PM
shaddy-z.

Yeah it was extremely hard to see. When it comes down to replace them, I've heard people have had great luck with SPL's metal bushings. And they look pretty high quality. And terrasmak sometimes I feel like you're the only active person on the forums haha. I search stuff all the time and you're in every thread with some sort of helpful advice. Thanks for your help!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:57 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

No problem. I do a lot of reading, do all my own wrench work and wrench on a lot of the local Z's. I've learned a lot about the Z in general, track setup etc etc over the past 5 years.