Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stance GR+ Pro Coilovers - Way too Stiff

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 04:45 PM
nismo316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stance GR+ Pro Coilovers - Way too Stiff

I purchased the Stance GR+pro coil overs and after lowering.. not slamming, (no rubbing) The car is WAY to stiff and bounces all over the place (rear only) like if i was ridding on bump stops or like if i cut springs to lower. its horrible. buddy of mine recommended replacing the spring in the coil over with SWIFT springs. I never heard of those but web site looks good. I need help. The car is dropped right above the tire both front and rear, again nothing extreme. 19in wheels 285 35s rear. HELP
Old 12-27-2011, 04:49 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Putting on swift springs won't solve the crap dampening stance puts out. My guess is, like most JDM or wannabe JDM (i.e. China/Taiwan), they have WAY WAY too much compression and not nearly enough rebound.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:14 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Damper setting could be off, damper length could be off , and you are dealing with crap coilovers.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:35 PM
nismo316

I should have known. I bought these coils without doing to much research. I have been to my shop 2 time already to try to re adjust the dampening has shown no improvement.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nismo316
Way too Stiff
I disagree. Its not too stiff.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:45 PM
TSG-Z

Interesting, I recently purchased a set of GR+. The general consensus was they had the best drop/ride quality. Guess I will be finding out 1st hand here shortly.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased the Stance GR+pro coil overs and after lowering.. not slamming, (no rubbing) The car is WAY to stiff and bounces all over the place (rear only) like if i was ridding on bump stops or like if i cut springs to lower. its horrible. buddy of mine recommended replacing the spring in the coil over with SWIFT springs. I never heard of those but web site looks good. I need help. The car is dropped right above the tire both front and rear, again nothing extreme. 19in wheels 285 35s rear. HELP
Specs off of Stance web site

672lbs front
336lbs rear (True coilover rear)

Working the math to show how much spring reachs the front tires and the rear tires
318lbs front
316lbs rear

This is how much spring you'd have to run IF the rear springs were in the oem location in the rear control arms 750lbs. So, I think you've got a lot more rear spring stiffness then you realize with the setup.

IMO:

Turn damping to the softest setting front and rear and test.
Verify that all springs are set to minimum preload
If all springs are set a min preload, verify rear bump travel with a zip tie on one or both rear damper piston shafts.

Another thought, call Stance tell them your feelings and request a deal on 2 280lbs rear springs it would have the following effect.

280lbs at the damper
263lbs at the tire
or equal to a 625lbs spring in the oem rear location
Old 12-27-2011, 11:11 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

just turn the dampening down...

easy fix
Old 12-28-2011, 06:51 PM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I run gr+ pros as well. I had the front and rear set to 15 clicks. This was much too firm for everyday use. Turn to softer setting and these are much more livable.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:29 PM
lafingas

Did you mess with the springs pre-load? I have stances and they ride wonderful for me even at 15 clicks full stiff.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:36 AM
ocdz

Originally Posted by lafingas
Did you mess with the springs pre-load? I have stances and they ride wonderful for me even at 15 clicks full stiff.
I dont know if this was directed at me or OP but to answer your question, no i didnt adjust preload.

That is a very good point though. I remember an argument a long time ago where someone was insisting that you adjusted ride height by moving the spring perch. I tried to explain that that was the wrong way to adjust height and that was used for corner balancing, but it fell on deaf ears.

OP have you moved your spring perch?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:25 PM
nismo316

Wow, Thank you for taking the time, great info! I really appreciate it.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:28 PM
nismo316

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Specs off of Stance web site

672lbs front
336lbs rear (True coilover rear)

Working the math to show how much spring reachs the front tires and the rear tires
318lbs front
316lbs rear

This is how much spring you'd have to run IF the rear springs were in the oem location in the rear control arms 750lbs. So, I think you've got a lot more rear spring stiffness then you realize with the setup.

IMO:

Turn damping to the softest setting front and rear and test.
Verify that all springs are set to minimum preload
If all springs are set a min preload, verify rear bump travel with a zip tie on one or both rear damper piston shafts.

Another thought, call Stance tell them your feelings and request a deal on 2 280lbs rear springs it would have the following effect.

280lbs at the damper
263lbs at the tire
or equal to a 625lbs spring in the oem rear location
THis is great info. I really appreciate this and thank you for your time spent!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:54 PM
nismo316

Originally Posted by slow03z
I dont know if this was directed at me or OP but to answer your question, no i didnt adjust preload.

That is a very good point though. I remember an argument a long time ago where someone was insisting that you adjusted ride height by moving the spring perch. I tried to explain that that was the wrong way to adjust height and that was used for corner balancing, but it fell on deaf ears.

OP have you moved your spring perch?
Not really sure, i know know what the spring perch is but I don't do my own work. The shop I took it to is very reliable and it is a tuner shop. They tried fooling with these things two time and the improvement was very small.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:58 PM
nismo316

Originally Posted by lafingas
I didn't do the work my self. tuner shop tried to improve the ride quality 2 times but no success. I will have to call them and ask or take it somewhere else. Is there a way i can tell by just looking at coil overs
Old 12-29-2011, 11:10 PM
nismo316

Originally Posted by TSG-Z
Interesting, I recently purchased a set of GR+. The general consensus was they had the best drop/ride quality. Guess I will be finding out 1st hand here shortly.
Im really curious. let me know. My set up could be wrong somehow. They just can't be this bad
Old 12-30-2011, 04:53 AM
flynbrin

maybe try lowering the tire pressure?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't do the work my self. tuner shop tried to improve the ride quality 2 times but no success. I will have to call them and ask or take it somewhere else. Is there a way i can tell by just looking at coil overs
Where in California are you?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I would look at readjusting preload to zero on the rear spring...its stupendously easy with a true coilover once removed...a bit more difficult with the oem location in the rear (honestly off topic but if anyone has a good read on adjusting preload to zero in the OEM location im all ears).

Look into this thread (guys car felt overly bouncy/springy as well):
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...over-help.html
Old 12-31-2011, 09:45 AM
ocdz

Originally Posted by Row2K
I would look at readjusting preload to zero on the rear spring...its stupendously easy with a true coilover once removed...a bit more difficult with the oem location in the rear (honestly off topic but if anyone has a good read on adjusting preload to zero in the OEM location im all ears).

Look into this thread (guys car felt overly bouncy/springy as well):
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...over-help.html
Pre-load on oem is nearly zero. I used a jack under the stock spring bucket to keep pressure while removing the bolts holding it in but there is little if any pressure on it when suspension is at full droop. Cutting your spring bucket or different length springs would be the only ways to completely remove all preload on oem rear.

To check your preload on coilovers, jack up car remove wheel, first see if spring is tight or if you are able to rotate spring on perches. If snug but shows signs you could turn it/turns but difficult to do so, your preload is near nothing, the way it should be.

If the spring is very tight and shows no sign of moving you may need to get out your spanner wrenches that came with the coils and loosen the spring perches. once all pressure is off and you verify spring is loose then move spring perch back up until spring is tight but not applying force. Tighten locking nut up to perch. Done.

Quick Reply: Stance GR+ Pro Coilovers - Way too Stiff