Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Rotorpros Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:02 PM
zswickliffe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rotorpros Brake Rotors

Hey everyone! I just thought I'd open this thread to share my findings on the company Rotorpros and the quality of their rotors. Firstly, I'd like to start by explaining that the reason I'm starting this thread is because I found a ton of information on Rotorpros' rotors for the Mitsubishi Evolution (mostly good reviews) but no formal reviews here at My350z.com.

Anyway, on with the review. I'll break this up into a few sections, let's start with customer service.

Customer Service

Let me start by saying my experience with the guys at Rotorpros (especially Rich) was amazing. Rich helped me one on one for over 30 minutes while I asked him every question you could imagine and he even helped me decide which pattern (we'll get to all the options later) was the right one for me. He gave me information that they collected on their test vehicles and he even helped me pair my rotors with the pads his company had the best results with. All contact (emails, phone calls, etc.) was easy and a pleasure. Parts were ordered 5 days ago and shipped today and I'm expecting them either Saturday or Monday. Extremely quick turn around for customized parts.

Now that you all know that the company is run and operated by a great group of people, let's lay down some of the facts. Rotorpros essentially take blank Centric rotors (Centric makes StopTech rotors and pads and is a huge name in brakes) and modify them to suit your taste.

Let's take a look at some of their designs

Here you can see their single slotted (bottom left) and their drilled and slotted (remaining three). Each rotor can be coated with their special "deep" zinc coating to prevent rust. The top right rotor is completely covered in their gold color while the other three have only the hat of the rotor covered with the color of your choice.

Here's their "C Hook" design

"J Hook"

"F Hook"

And here's what the all black zinc coating looks like (any part of the rotor in contact with the pads wears down to the color of the metal)

And the design I got (upon recommendation by Rich - I got mine with an all silver zinc coating, not black hats like the picture shows) was the Double Slot

You may also purchase blank rotors with no slotting, drilling, etc. with the zinc coated hats or full zinc coating.

So now that we've established that no matter who you are, they have the design, color and (most importantly) the customer service you need, let's talk about price. These are BY FAR the best priced rotors for the quality you get on the market. These list at about $190 for a set of 4 (yes, all four - as in, front AND rear rotors) then each feature (zinc coating, drilled, slotted, drilled and slotted, etc.) has its own extremely fair price, but Rich was able to hook me up with an awesome deal of $260 for 4 rotors, double slot design, full zinc coating AND 4 Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic brake pads SHIPPED. That means I didn't pay a penny over $260 for an entire brake job. Amazing.

**UPDATE**

If you would like "in" on a group buy, post a comment here with the following information (only post if you are going to buy FOR SURE)

1) Type of rotor (premium or ctek) and how many (front and/or rear)
2) Design
3) Type of coating/color
4) Type of pads (Centric, EBC, Hawks, etc.) and how many (front and/or rear)
5) Timeframe (when do you need/want to order by)

We'll shoot for 5 people but if there's enough interest, we'll wait for 10.

Contact Information for Rotorpros;

Ask for Rich
(714) 309-3620
sales@rotorpros.net
rotorpros.net

Tell him Zach sent you from the My350z forums and he'll take care of you.

If you have any questions at all, let me know and I will do my best to find the answer. Also, if there are any requests anyone would like to make as far as what I'm reviewing, do not hesitate to let me know. I opened this thread a little bit early to make sure that if someone wanted me to "post pictures of this" or "write about the feel of that", I would do it before it was too late (already installed on car, etc).

I'm going to update this once I receive my rotors with pictures of them out of the box, on the car and then I'll reserve the second post for a long-term review which I will do after 5000 miles of use.

UPDATE:

Here are the pics of my rotors. Very pleased with the way they look and the quality of the zinc coating. Only thing I noticed was that it smells a little funny, but that's obviously not a problem. Just an observation

Last edited by zswickliffe; 08-19-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:03 PM
zswickliffe

LONGEVITY ASSESSMENT:

Alrighty, it's been about 5k miles now and I'm ready to give my full assessment. Rotors still look great - no cracks and zinc coating hasn't worn off of the hats or vents so no rust there. Pads are pretty good for daily driving but I would definitely recommend more aggressive pads for anyone wanting to autox or even just people looking for a more aggressive street pad. All-in-all, I most certainly will buy from them again and I definitely recommend you do the same.

How I feel about the setup:

- Quiet during normal use
- Become very noisy once very hot (pads)
- Zinc coating holding up pretty well. Minimal rust and no flaking
- Pads are okay. Not wowed and I don't regret them. Definitely getting a performance pad next time
- Very low dust pads. Almost nonexistent
- Pads are awkward once very hot. Braking feel becomes relatively unpredictable.

TL;DR

Rotors - AWESOME
Pads - mediocre

EDIT:

I will be updating this once again once I install and bed-in my Hawk HP+ pads from them. I'll be hitting the track so it should give me a good feel for how they perform. I will say, however, once these pads get really hot I can feel every slot in the rotors. It gives me an annoying vibration at about 50% braking. Under 100% braking they're smooth as can be, however, which is slightly weird to me but I attribute it to the pads just being ceramic so they're a bit harder, thus, communicating more vibration when there isn't enough force to stop them from doing so.

EDIT 2:

Got my pads in today, they'll be installed in a week or two then I'll bed them in, track them and let everyone know how the combo works out!!

Rotorpros Brake Rotors-pwm2raf.jpg

Last edited by zswickliffe; 09-11-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Esser

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

$260 is cheap as hell!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:30 PM
zswickliffe

Originally Posted by Esser
$260 is cheap as hell!
I would say "inexpensive". Cheap implies low price and low quality and Centric brakes/rotors are definitely not low quality. As I said before, Centric makes StopTech - one of the biggest names in performance brakes.

But yes, that's definitely "cheap as hell"!!

Last edited by zswickliffe; 08-09-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:36 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Came in expecting to read about and see pictures of brake calipers..... (misleading thread title).

EDIT: deleted.

Last edited by sry110; 08-10-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:53 AM
zswickliffe

Originally Posted by sry110
Came in expecting to read about and see pictures of brake calipers..... (misleading thread title).

EDIT: deleted.
Wow! My apologies. My head was somewhere else. Fixed now
Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 PM
J.$

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa, that's a great price for rotors and pads. That coating looks wayy better than the coating I got on my 88 rotors too.

Do you know if the different designs cost more or less? Meaning if you were to get F hook, J hook, or double slotted, would they be the same price?
Old 08-10-2012, 01:37 PM
zswickliffe

Originally Posted by J.$
Whoa, that's a great price for rotors and pads. That coating looks wayy better than the coating I got on my 88 rotors too.

Do you know if the different designs cost more or less? Meaning if you were to get F hook, J hook, or double slotted, would they be the same price?
Don't quote me on this but my understanding is that it costs $30 to get them machined. Which means all of the designs are the same price.

In other words, $230 for blank rotors with zinc coating + pads (combo) and $260 for any design rotors with zinc coating + pads (combo).

Call them to make sure/get a quote!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 PM
scmtkings4

do you know if they would do silver zinc coating on the rotor but with a black hat?

I'm interested in trying these rotors out. just a bit worried about longevity

also, how do you know they used Centric rotors? I looked up their site and couldn't find any info on it

Last edited by scmtkings4; 08-13-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:14 AM
zswickliffe

I'm not sure about the zinc coating/black hat combo but I will email them about it and hopefully have an answer for you by the end of the day.

I know they use centric rotors for a few reasons. Firstly, I talked to them about not wanting to buy cheap rotors and they informed me that they used centric rotors. Secondly, when I was shopping for rotors I found on the evolution forums that people were finding this out when they got their package and they came in centric boxes. (Just got mine and they had centric packaging as well)
Old 08-14-2012, 06:39 AM
sry110

Hmmm they quoted me $150 for a set of slotted rear rotors (OEM Brembo size) alone, no pads. Meanwhile you got slotted rotors AND pads for $260 shipped.

Maybe I will have to call them back instead of emailing, ask for Rich, tell them Zach sent me, etc etc....
Old 08-14-2012, 06:42 AM
zswickliffe

Rotors for the Brembos are going to be a bit more expensive but I don't think they'd be that much more expensive. You definitely have to mention me and my350z to get the deal, this is a special I worked out for our community.

Last edited by zswickliffe; 08-14-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:01 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by zswickliffe
Rotors for the Brembos are going to be a bit more expensive but I don't think they'd be that much more expensive. You definitely have to mention me and my350z to get the deal, this is a special I worked out for our community.
Alright sounds good. Thanks for being proactive!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 AM
zswickliffe

Originally Posted by sry110
Alright sounds good. Thanks for being proactive!
No problem! Let me know how it goes!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 AM
JMS71585

Sub'd for pictures and other opinions.
Going to need new front rotors/pads within the next few months...
Old 08-14-2012, 10:50 AM
scmtkings4

so i went ahead and put in my order for the double slotted rotors

the $260 for the rotors is for the Centic C-Tek (standard) rotors. I believe these are made with a
different process and without any powdercoating.

I asked for them to use the Centric premium rotors (which are the same ones that Stoptech uses)
and also asked for the Stoptech brake pads. This was $400 which is still a decent price.

how many days did it take for them to ship yours out? Rich told me that it might take a week to ship
out (which seemed a little long to me)
Old 08-14-2012, 01:34 PM
zswickliffe

It took 5 days which isn't too long if you consider they have to take the rotors, CNC them, send them (I'm assuming) to get annodized, then send them to you. I'm curious to see how much better the premium rotors are, you'll have to share pics.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 PM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a good deal! I installed Centric Premium blank rotors on my sister's old 2.5RS last year. I bought them over the cheaper Ctek ones just out of precaution. I wonder if the premium rotors will tend to last longer, bite with the pad harder and/or be more consistent in terms of balance over the life of the rotor. I do know the premium rotors have a black powder coating to keep the rotor hat looking pretty. However the coating tends to stop just before the pad so you will get a 1 or 2mm line of rust before the hat lol. Anyone else care to chime in? I'll be waiting for more input..
Old 08-14-2012, 02:12 PM
zswickliffe

Just talked to Rich seeing as how I was curious about the difference and here's what he told me;

Read what centric says on their site. It's a different metal which is supposed to be a little stronger. He only reccommends them if you'll be tracking often otherwise just go with the regular rotors. He also told me that Rotorpros offers a 2 year warranty so if you do have any problems they'll take care of you. If you guys want to organize a group buy let me know, he said he'd be able to work out an even better price.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:29 PM
PowderNismo350

May have to check this out!

Quick Reply: Rotorpros Brake Rotors