Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

OEM Brembo conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 04:41 PM
dammitbryan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM Brembo conversion

I've been searching for a few hours now and couldn't find an answer. I bought OEM Brembo calipers used, along with rotors, pads, SS brake lines, and brake fluid, and checked them out. It looks like I'm missing a mounting bracket? I only have the one for the LEFT side, and I don't see one for the RIGHT side. I'm not sure if it is a problem or not. Am I able to use the normal brackets I have now? Everywhere I've searched, people have mentioned that I only need rear caliper bolts and to trim the rear dust shields.
Attached Thumbnails OEM Brembo conversion-20130602_165349small.jpg  
Old 06-02-2013, 05:25 PM
taryon

I believe you only need the calipers, rotors, pads etc and it is a direct bolt on to the stock system and you don't need any brake adapters/mounting brackets at all
Old 06-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Slpope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1. I just did the conversion about 2 weeks ago. I bought the calipers, the rear bolts, (beware you will need some washers because the bolts are too long), and some SS lines from z1. Direct bolt on. Trim the rear shields are probably the must time consuming part.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:06 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you read this thread on doing the conversion in the DIY forum?

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...bo-brakes.html
Old 06-03-2013, 04:04 AM
jonny350Z

It looks like you have the OEM brake lines in the pic. Are you sure you ALSO have the SS lines? If you do, the you won't need the OEM brakes lines or those brackets. If the SS lines weren't included, now would be a great time to order some Stoptech SS brake lines and just throw those OEM lines and bracket away.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:23 AM
kno

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Toss that crap which is the oem brake lines and bracket and just plug the ss lines directly. Make sure you have the right bolts for everything. Gl
Old 06-03-2013, 08:50 AM
robsilver350

Originally Posted by Slpope
+1. I just did the conversion about 2 weeks ago. I bought the calipers, the rear bolts, (beware you will need some washers because the bolts are too long), and some SS lines from z1. Direct bolt on. Trim the rear shields are probably the must time consuming part.
My hands ache thinking about when I used tin snips on the shield. My recommendation OP is to use a dremel or some other power tool for trimming the dust shields in the rear.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Slpope

Same. Damned tin snips took forever and like you said, hands ached after.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:01 AM
TEF

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The bracket pictured is designed to bolt onto a suspension strut on the left side of the car and (as I understand it) you are missing a similar part for the right side. If you intend to install the Brembos in the same manner as they were on a Track version of the Z, you should just order the missing bracket from a dealer as they cost only a few bucks each. Now the next question is: what type of SS lines do you intend to use? There are two styles available. The first is just a hose with a fitting on one end and a banjo connection on the other. These often require some sort of zip tie to the suspension to keep them from flapping around. The second SS style, costing more, are those designed exactly like the OEM rubber one in your photo. In that case the SS lines would require the missing right-side bracket. The same is true for the rear brake lines.

In my opinion, I'd install the OEM-style SS lines and brackets. I don't like the idea of using zip ties on a braking system. In fact on my own car, I opted for the OEM rubber lines with brackets rather than the some mickey mouse SS lines. Moreover, many of the one-size-fits-all SS lines have a problem with the banjo bolts. As I recall, supplied bolts intended for the none-Brembo calipers are too long to use with the Brembo and can snap off in the calipers if over tightened. My rule of thumb is that car manufacturer install certain items for a reason and since car companies are known for cutting corners (to save money), I wouldn't try to beat them at their own game.