Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tein Basic kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 09:39 AM
FairladyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Basic kit

I did a search and still couldn't find what I was looking for. Anyone with this kit experienece less bounce and can it be aligned with no problems at Nissan?

I have the S-tune on my white Z and love it, but we want to save some money by buying the Tein Basic kit. The S-tune practically got rid of all my bounce, will the basic kit do this as well?

Can it be electronically controlled with that box? Also how does it handle? It is night a day different between the brick and ppw (stock v S-tune). Can we expect the same thing?
Old 01-23-2004, 10:32 AM
TheLex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I ask you if the S-tune improved your ride and got rid of some of the harshness and noise of the stock suspension?
Old 01-23-2004, 10:34 AM
FairladyZ

Originally posted by TheLex
Can I ask you if the S-tune improved your ride and got rid of some of the harshness and noise of the stock suspension?
Yes it did, and I didnt bother getting the sway bars. Mine are stock. Others will agree. This is why we want another suspension kit.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:14 PM
TheLex

Was it "oh, it's a bit less harsh and quieter" or was it "Man oh man, the stock suspension is crap and this one is SOOOOOO much quieter and less harsh?"
Old 01-23-2004, 01:29 PM
mgl

Default Re: Tein Basic kit

Originally posted by FairladyZ
I did a search and still couldn't find what I was looking for. Anyone with this kit experienece less bounce and can it be aligned with no problems at Nissan?

I have the S-tune on my white Z and love it, but we want to save some money by buying the Tein Basic kit. The S-tune practically got rid of all my bounce, will the basic kit do this as well?

Can it be electronically controlled with that box? Also how does it handle? It is night a day different between the brick and ppw (stock v S-tune). Can we expect the same thing?
wow you have 2 Zs!!!???
i was also considering the tein basic kit. if you ever get them let me know how it compares to the stock ride.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:06 PM
weslutes

I got the basic set and installed them myself the other day with hardly any problems besides the alignment which I had done yesterday.
They feel almost the same.My main reason for doing the change was to have ride hight adjustability but it responds a lot better.I love that it still has a smooth ride after the suspension and 19"rs.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:46 PM
little_rod

By most accounts, the basics are very similar to the s-tunes. No real reviews of them really, but as with any suspension upgrade, it is totally based on the reviewer. Some have said it is way too stiff for them, while others have said there is not much difference from stock. Depends on the source.

Tein has said that it is firmer than stock, but softer than the softest setting on their Tein Flexes. That is right around the s-tunes.

If you just go by spring rates:

Nismo:
448lbs linear front and 504lbs rear progressive

Tein Basic:
504lbs linear front and 504lbs rear linear

The teins should be a little stiffer. Of course, you will have to look at the dampers too, which make a difference.

Last edited by little_rod; 01-23-2004 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:08 PM
little_rod

BTW, stock for the 350Z is 347 front and 419 rear, linear. So these rates are a little higher than stock.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:32 PM
FairladyZ

So will I have the bounce? Yes I have two Z's.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:09 AM
FairladyZ

Originally posted by TheLex
Was it "oh, it's a bit less harsh and quieter" or was it "Man oh man, the stock suspension is crap and this one is SOOOOOO much quieter and less harsh?"
If you lived here I would let you drive my car to "see" for yourself. The stock suspension isnt crap. But when we compared the two parts side by side, the Nismo Parts were alot more beefier. The stock parts look like you could snap them with your hands wheras the Nismo is like damn.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:13 AM
FairladyZ

Originally posted by weslutes
I got the basic set and installed them myself the other day with hardly any problems besides the alignment which I had done yesterday.
They feel almost the same.My main reason for doing the change was to have ride hight adjustability but it responds a lot better.I love that it still has a smooth ride after the suspension and 19"rs.
Did your car have the "bounce" before you installed the kit? How was it after? Also did you happen to compare the parts? Were the teins beefier?
Old 01-24-2004, 11:19 AM
weslutes

My G35coupe had no bounce before.It handles a lot better.My girlfriend can't even tell I installed them.They basically eliminated most of the body roll.I did compare them and yes they are way better quality,though they weigh a bit more.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:46 AM
little_rod

Haven't heard any reports of bounce with the teins, although one person did mention it, couldn't tell by his review what his definition of bounce was. If I were a betting man, I would say that it doesn't have bounce, but it could depend largely on the wheel/tire setup. I have more bounce right now cause I went back to my stock setup. I have nowhere near this much bounce with my Toyos/19s.

Of course, I don't know for sure about the basics and bounce, cause I have neither ridden in a car with it or have it myself. Wish someone could come with a definitive answer.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:45 PM
FairladyZ

Weslutes
The weight is okay because the Nismo weighs more also. Since your car didnt have the bounce before thats what scares me.

little_rod
I wish I could get a definitive answer as well.

I read through the manual on the tein website. It makes me nervous b/c they have these warnings. yadda yadda yadda
Old 01-24-2004, 09:03 PM
weslutes

Sorry, I meant I had no wheel hop.The stock susp. was pretty soft and bouncy.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:20 PM
little_rod

Weslutes
The weight is okay because the Nismo weighs more also. Since your car didnt have the bounce before thats what scares me.
Well, one thing is for sure, he is saying he didn't have bounce before and he doesn't have bounce now. At least the basics didn't introduce any bounce, lol.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:38 AM
FairladyZ

Yeah, so that means we have the bounce, we put it on and we still have the bounce right?
Old 01-25-2004, 07:35 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by weslutes
Sorry, I meant I had no wheel hop.The stock susp. was pretty soft and bouncy.
Huh, I think your putting forth other suspension issues as bounce or mis categorizing. I troll all FM platform forums and the universal thing about the G35(coupe or sedan) is that it does not have the bounce issue's and tire feathering issues that the Z has. That is not to say one cannot come out of driving both vehicles, grab a note pad and write down some deficiencies on both vehicles, certainly the list would be longer on the G35, but bounce isn't one of those things. G35 has excess weight transfer, lower at the limit behavior threshold's (less tolerance to miscalculations in brake and throttle imputes when close to the limit of adhesion) and noticeably lower turn in performance. The 350Z nails the above issues, but adds bounce and as many a Z owner will say, tire feathering.

And as long as were on the subject of Tein basic's I'll bring this original quote back from the first known user of Tein basics, happens to be another G35 coupe owner.
"Yes, I love them. I've lowered them to the point where there’s no wheel gap, and they never bottom out, I can still go over speed bumps at the same speed. The ride is much stiffer than the stock g35, it rides more like a 350 now. I prefer it this way... On some freeways it can get a little bouncy, but it doesn't bother me."

And there is the rub about buying aftermarket suspension systems. When we report back about how we feel, to we tell it all, the good and the bad? I certainly hope so, but over the years I have seen a trend where many people don't like to admit the system they just spent money on has some faults. I've seen people proclaim setups as "great, absolutely no bounce. Funny thing was I had the same setup, performance was so lackluster and had to much bounce that I pulled the struts off after less than 800 miles and had them revalved, problem solved (not my G35 of course.

Here's a real world run down of how the Basic's differ from OEM, seeing +45% and +20% increase's in spring rates means we have to go with the logic they they will of course be stiffer than either OEM suspension setup (which I'd want as I have run out of suspension a few times while testing in the mountains).

Tein Basic Coilovers
For: 350Z/G35 Coupe & Sedan
F/R spring rates Linear springs
504/504
Front to rear spring rate balance change VS OEM on
350Z/G35 Coupe
+45% front and +20% rear(25% transfer to front)
G35 Sedan w/sport +41% front +24% rear (17% transfer to front)

If 448lbs springs are run in front balance VS OEM
changes to:
350Z/G35 Coupe +29% front +20% rear (9% transfer to front)
G35 sedan w/sport +25% front +24% (1% transfer to front)
Old 01-25-2004, 07:51 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, by the way H&R is comming out with a coilover kit for the Z and G. They say they use progressive springs, so their off my list, but here's the info. tirerack will carry them at $1475 expensive compaired to the basic's, but not to much more than the Nimso setup. They have a lowering range of 1.2-2.2"F 1.0-2.1"R

http://www.hrsprings.com/site/products/coilovers.html

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...rack&x=41&y=14

And just to say it, H&R flat out refuses to give out spring rate info, no how no way, yes I have tried, over and over and,......you get the idea
Old 01-25-2004, 09:32 AM
little_rod

Yeah, so that means we have the bounce, we put it on and we still have the bounce right?
No, that is not what I meant. Just saying that it did't cause bounce in the car, period. Inferences about the Z are up to you.

Gsedan35, we have done more of our share of looking at suspension systems and talking about them. I have said this before, and I will say this again, never seen a suspension talked about by so many, yet so little is still known about them.

I see your quote, Gsedan35, but I also have this one:

i have tein basics on my Z. lowered my Z so that there's abt a 1" gap between tires and top of wheelwell. no bounce at all, but w/ 19's the ride is extremely stiff. i had eibachs before and the ride quality was much better. talked to tein and they said the basic is less stiff than their flex kit at its "softest" setting and the height of the ride will not affect the stiffness. had the basics for abt 600 miles and it seems like the ride is a little more forgiving now.

little_rod wrote on 11-20-2003 05:57 AM:
So they are stiffer than stock, but less stiff than the flex. Interesting that the eibachs were softer in ride quality, of course they are progressive and use stock dampers. How is your body roll??? Is the body roll alot less than stock and with the eibachs?? Is the body roll stiff enough that you don't have roll, so you don't worry as much about sways??

Thanks for your thoughts.

no need for sways if you're just driving on the street, canyon roads, etc., and would probably be fine for the track unless you're hardcore. while i do have gripes abt the stiff ride, given the cost and performance, i'm happy w/ the purchase. good luck on finding the right suspension for your Z!
As with any suspension, personal tastes are a huge part of the equation. He says explicitly, "no bounce at all". And he has 19s, which is similar to my setup. I did notice myself, that the stock 17" setup has alot more bounce than my 19" setup. So who do you believe?? I put alot of into the above thoughts, cause they do seem more well thought out.