Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

350z full suspension overhaul/upgrade

Old 02-16-2019, 11:53 AM
doyle4281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 350z full suspension overhaul/upgrade

Hello all, I’m upgrading and overhauling the entire suspension on a 350z, and am running into a bit of a grey area with the bushings. It’s a “street car” that barely gets driven and is being detuned a bit to be more manageable on the road. I’m not interested in full sphericals, however if they are preferred and do not substantially increase NVH, I’d be interested.
-One place that I though would benefit from a spherical was the compression rod, however the reviews on the SPL units aren’t very encouraging. I’ve heard they are loud, as in contacting metal to metal, increase NVH quite a bit, dont last long, and can cause premature failure of other joints.
-The soft bushing options seem to be whiteline, Energy suspension, and Nismo. I’m a big fan of ES, so that leaves whiteline and Nismo. Is whiteline generally considered the best soft bushing for this car?
-upgraded control arms are also a consideration, however I want to be modest with them. For one, the build has an “enhanced OEM theme”, so billet arms would not fit with theme(I know, sounds weird). Second, most of these arms are full spherical, loaded with adjustments that I do not need, and can anything that adjusts, can unadjust on its own. Which arms at minimum should be considered on these cars so correct camber when modestly lowering?
-roll center adjusters. I have seen these sold by moonface, which appear to be a shorter lower ball joint for the control arm. Is this only for aggressive lowering

Im generally looking for a responsive suspension setup without the harsh noise and ride. I dont need break neck response, and ultra optimized suspension settings, rather a solid setup that won’t prematurely fail, make potholes feel like I’m going to break my windows, and will improve the steering response.

Thank you guys, it’s been awhile, and forgive me if this question seems novice. My experience with z’s has only been trying to cram engines in them that aren’t supposed to be there. It’s time to learn the suspension better
Old 02-16-2019, 12:24 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

From your post, it sounds like this Z will primarily be driven on the street. If that's the case, I'm not sure you need to replace every bushing on the car. If there's any OEM bushings in good shape, do you really need to replace it? I say this because my SCCA racecar has limited range in replacing bushings and while some NISMO bushings are allowed, I can't say each one has made a huge difference to the handling. Knowing the cost from NISMO to Whiteline bushings, I'd also suggest the latter are the better choice for a street car. Save your money for high quality SA shocks, springs and swaybars.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:38 PM
doyle4281

Originally Posted by dkmura
From your post, it sounds like this Z will primarily be driven on the street. If that's the case, I'm not sure you need to replace every bushing on the car. If there's any OEM bushings in good shape, do you really need to replace it? I say this because my SCCA racecar has limited range in replacing bushings and while some NISMO bushings are allowed, I can't say each one has made a huge difference to the handling. Knowing the cost from NISMO to Whiteline bushings, I'd also suggest the latter are the better choice for a street car. Save your money for high quality SA shocks, springs and swaybars.
Thank you, I should have mentioned that the car is being, “restored”, if you can describe it that way for a modern car. Every arm and bushing, every bolt, that’s how I do all my builds. Budget is of course a consideration, however I can’t cut anything out of a build like this. Some of the arms I can vapor hone, powder coat, replace bushings, others with unserviceable ball joints will need to be replaced with OEM or upgraded. This car will get driven infrequently, however I don’t want a harsh ride, nor do I want mushy response.

What made you choose Nismo over whiteline? Also, are they the same bushings that would be found on a Nismo Z? If that is the case, what is considered an upgrade over Nismo bushings? I’m guessing the Nismo bushings are silent and comfortable, but not as noticeable as a poly bushing.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:10 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Some NISMO parts are homologated for use in the SCCA Touring classes. From what I know, the bushings are different from what is used on the NISMO Z33. As for an upgrade, unless you're willing to go with spherical bearings for a race car-only spec, I think NISMO is top-of-the-line, but pricey.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:22 PM
doyle4281

Originally Posted by dkmura
Some NISMO parts are homologated for use in the SCCA Touring classes. From what I know, the bushings are different from what is used on the NISMO Z33. As for an upgrade, unless you're willing to go with spherical bearings for a race car-only spec, I think NISMO is top-of-the-line, but pricey.
I see, thank you. I’m questioning the compression arm bushing the most, as I know how prone to failure they are. A spherical appears to be the logical remedy, however I am hearing the SPL unit fails and is noisy. Did you use the Nismo compression rod bushing?