Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

G-2 paint for calipers question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 07:34 AM
peters350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-2 paint for calipers question

For those of you who painted your calipers with the G-2 paint from the Tire Rack, I'd like to know how many bottles you purchased to do the stock calipers on the 350Z.

Also, if you could show a picture of your finished calipers.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Rob Nance

I did mine in yellow, about a year ago, and it only took one bottle. Yellow is easily the hardest color to get a good result from because it's lighter, and so it took a lot of coats. Running out of the paint is the least of your worries. Having enough time set aside to paint them with a lot of coats to get a good even coating will be your only concern.

I will see if I have a good pic somewhere. The ones that are hosted here of mine from when I first painted them are not that great. I will look for one with my new wheels, plus you can see them a year later. They look like the day I painted them aside from the brake dust. I "should" have cleaned them really thoroughly when I got my new wheels and had the wheels off.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:55 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Default Re: G-2 paint for calipers question

Originally posted by peters350z
For those of you who painted your calipers with the G-2 paint from the Tire Rack, I'd like to know how many bottles you purchased to do the stock calipers on the 350Z.

Also, if you could show a picture of your finished calipers.

Thanks in advance.
Volume of paint in the can isn't really an issue. Its time and application. The instructions say there should be enough for 3 coats. I did 3 + touch up w/o any issue at all. I probably painted for about 4.5 hrs (with some small breaks in there). The paint is only suppoed to last about 6hrs.

I will echo the other post that a lighter color will be hard because the surface is not smooth. If the calipers were smooth it would be alot different, but because of the roughness you really end up globbing it on there to try to 'fill' it in. Because otherwise it looks like crap. This would be much harder with a light color like yellow. With red or a darker color it should be fine.

The first coat went on and I was really worried, but each coat it got much better.

This is really the best cheap visual mod you can do for the car. Makes a HUGE difference.

Go here for in-progress and finished photos

And here for photos of the JVD graphics on there

Here's a shot before the graphics

Old 04-12-2004, 06:17 PM
z327

Just don't take your car to a driving event on a track.
I used the G2 paint, Nismo front Pads, Drilled & Slotted rotors and high temp brake fluid. Ran three 20 minute open track sessions without any brake fade.

Most of the red G2 paint was black when I was done.

I just buy the cheap spray on stuff and give the calipers a shot before big car shows.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:24 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Now you are scaring me I goto the track in May!

Actually, I think in that case the G2 warrenty should cover it. Certainly I'm going to try if the paint 'bakes' or flakes off.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:16 PM
mgl

plenty of paint.... limited amount of time.

heres a pic of mine with g2 paint.
Attached Thumbnails G-2 paint for calipers question-shaved-side.jpg  
Old 04-12-2004, 10:34 PM
isalvus

Default jvd grafics

i can get the paint from tire rack but where did you get the jvd grafics they look great
Old 04-13-2004, 04:18 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Default Re: jvd grafics

Originally posted by isalvus
i can get the paint from tire rack but where did you get the jvd grafics they look great
Username JVDGraphics on the forum here. Can go through the forum to find the thread.. or I'd click on the members link up top... scroll through the list to find his username.. and PM him. It should just be 'JVDGraphics' I think. It's $15 for the set of front and rear.. he's got multiple colors and two styles.

Mine are the silver.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:36 AM
bixby

Default Re: Re: jvd grafics

Originally posted by flynnibus
Username JVDGraphics on the forum here. Can go through the forum to find the thread.. or I'd click on the members link up top... scroll through the list to find his username.. and PM him. It should just be 'JVDGraphics' I think. It's $15 for the set of front and rear.. he's got multiple colors and two styles.

Mine are the silver.
jason is very quick too. I got mine in just a few days. I ordered my paint & low dust pads the same day & they just showed up yesterday.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Trent@MVP

If you give the G-2 kit proper time to cure and setup it should last for a long time to come. I believe on the box it recommends not heating it up for at least 48 hours after applying the final coat. I would even go as far as to make it even a bit longer.

When I did my personal car, I did it on a Friday night and let them sit all the way until Sunday night before even putting them back on the car and then didn't drive it until Monday afternoon. This gave it plenty of time to set up.

I've also had two cars that were purely auto cross cars that we had this paint system on as well. Never had a single problem. After 2+ years of driving it in SCCA events, we had to do a bit of touch up, but that was it.

In my opinion, it's all about how long you give it to cure and set up and make sure all precautions and warnings are followed and it should last you for a good long time to come.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mgl - Your car looks awsome
Old 04-13-2004, 09:36 PM
350ed
Professional

I have the G2 in gold if someone wants to buy. PM with your price. I ended up getting red stoptech fronts. I trade for red too if you're local
Old 04-14-2004, 12:24 AM
mgl

Originally posted by Reggi914
mgl - Your car looks awsome
thank you.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:46 PM
myz8a4re

i wanted to open this thread back up to ask a few questions to those who have painted thier calipers with the g2 paint kit. i was wondering how you got most of the calipers painted w/o getting paint all over some of the pieces? i see those brake pad metal tabs hanging out as well as the brake pad backs being exposed to paint & making it hard to reach all the of the surfaces that need paint. did you guys mask off the pad backs & metal tabs & such? i dont want some of the surfaces to be "not" painted. i would like to get all of the caliper that can be seen painted. i remember seeing pics where it looked as though some painted only the front part of the caliper w/o getting in the crevaces or areas not facing directly outwards. this looked bad to me......just wanted to hear any input on this before i tackle the job. any hints tips would be appreciated!
thanx,
-justin
Old 08-22-2004, 08:08 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

I only masked the rotor (by sliding tape under the caliper), and the retainer clips. Then painted all the areas I could reach.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably take the top bolt out of the caliper, and slide the caliper up to get better access to the rest of the caliper. I would still would not take the entire caliper off, because you'd have to bleed the brake system afterwards.

Its easier to mask on the car then you might think. The only issue I had was to be creative in masking the top part clip so the tape wouldn't rest on the caliiper preventing some of it to be painted across the top of the caliper.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Bill d

Originally posted by myz8a4re
i wanted to open this thread back up to ask a few questions to those who have painted thier calipers with the g2 paint kit. i was wondering how you got most of the calipers painted w/o getting paint all over some of the pieces? i see those brake pad metal tabs hanging out as well as the brake pad backs being exposed to paint & making it hard to reach all the of the surfaces that need paint. did you guys mask off the pad backs & metal tabs & such? i dont want some of the surfaces to be "not" painted. i would like to get all of the caliper that can be seen painted. i remember seeing pics where it looked as though some painted only the front part of the caliper w/o getting in the crevaces or areas not facing directly outwards. this looked bad to me......just wanted to hear any input on this before i tackle the job. any hints tips would be appreciated!
thanx,
-justin
I did not do any masking at all. Short haired brush held paint with no problem.
Attached Thumbnails G-2 paint for calipers question-dsc00373.jpg